Splash's Airfix 1/76 scale Cromwell ***Finished***

UAMF's signature event, Fun for all !!!
Runs 1 - 28 Feb; your hosts are Jssel and FredK.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Splash's Airfix 1/76 scale Cromwell ***Finished***

Post by splash »

I'm going to attempt to build this kit using just the paints supplied with the starter kit, I might even use the glue supplied as well.

Planned start time is just after 10:00 GMT on Wednesday the 15th February and must be finished by 17:30 when my wife comes home from work 8-)

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Splash's cavalier attempt to beat Cromwell

Post by DavidWomby »

7.5 hours? Good luck. I'm sure you can do it but I'd take 7.5 hours just to get it out of the box!

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

It goes together well. Tracks are cleverly done, and its a nice build. Hardest bit for a rushjob is getting the star to sit on turrettop. It can be easiest to cut star from ring to get it to fit.

I've built a few of this kit in different disguises, including a build-in-a-day using what you get in pack ... Which was "interesting"
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:I'm going to attempt to build this kit using just the paints supplied with the starter kit, I might even use the glue supplied as well.
The paint should behave well enough, but unless you use an airbrush, I suspect you might run out of green before you run out of tank. I wouldn't recommend using the glue during a blitz; tube glue takes a lot longer to cure than liquid cement. It would work, but I think it will slow you down more than you can afford.
fredk

Post by fredk »

That star decal is awkward. I used lot and lots of Micro wotsit to make it conform. I see others just move it to the side of the bumpy bit
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

rob_van_riel wrote:The paint should behave well enough, but unless you use an airbrush, I suspect you might run out of green before you run out of tank. I wouldn't recommend using the glue during a blitz; tube glue takes a lot longer to cure than liquid cement. It would work, but I think it will slow you down more than you can afford.
I plan on using an airbrush so the paint should be OK and I agree about the glue, I might have to take a rethink about using that.

Being a new kit the build should be straightforward, looking at the plans the tracks will force me to paint the tracks, wheels and body before assembly :shock:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've heard plenty about how nice this kit is Alan so you should be in with a fighting chance of meeting your tight build schedule - 7 hours 30 would be a quick build even by blitz standards, best of luck with it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I believe you will enjoy this build. Mine was a weekender. Looking forward to this
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Unusual for me I know but I have decided to carry out research before starting the build tomorrow morning :shock:

A look at the kit parts shows that, it appears Airfix have done a nice job of detailing this kit and taken a new approach to making the tracks, gone are the old rubber tracking and in it's place are piece moulded track that will require fitting of the inner wheels followed by the track then the outer wheels.

Normally I would build the tank with its wheels then spray the base coat and then fit the tracks but this kit will need a rethink :???:

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:Normally I would build the tank with its wheels then spray the base coat and then fit the tracks but this kit will need a rethink :???:
Simply fit the inner wheels before spraying, and the outers later? Or are there tankish subtleties involved that I'm unaware of?
iggie

Post by iggie »

Watching with interest Splash; I have one to build one day and will follow your lead :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

rob_van_riel wrote:
splash wrote:Normally I would build the tank with its wheels then spray the base coat and then fit the tracks but this kit will need a rethink :???:
Simply fit the inner wheels before spraying, and the outers later? Or are there tankish subtleties involved that I'm unaware of?
That is one of the options I was thinking of, but until I cut plastic, I will not be able to see if that's a good option or not.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Some lovely moulded detail on there - the hatch cover locks and hinges, etc.

David
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

dwomby wrote:Some lovely moulded detail on there - the hatch cover locks and hinges, etc.

David
A nice touch is you get an open or closed commanders hatch that has a moulded in seat, it's just a shame you don't get the tank commander.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Alan, when I built mine I painted the wheels and tracks separately on the sprues, assembled and painted the hull and fitted the wheels and tracks afterwards, touching in where needed.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “Blitzbau XX”