Rob's Tonka *finished*

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rob's Tonka

Post by Old_Tonto »

Proper bonkers Rob. I love it. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It's looking great, what colours are you going for, traditional green,brown, black or all over grey?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Madness! but in a good way!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:It's looking great, what colours are you going for, traditional green,brown, black or all over grey?
Green, brown, black camo. Actually, one of the things that got the whole idea started was Mavericks Tornado in those colours, with the 617 commemorative markings on the tail, built around the time of the Dambusters GB (I'd link to a picture, but it's no longer available, and Maverick has better things to do than dig out old pictures right now). Those colours just look right on a Tornado, so part of me was looking for an excuse since then :-D
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice choice it should look brilliant in those colours.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

As a Dambusters whif I think the classic WW II Bomber Command scheme is the best choice.

IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looks mad but I like it!!!. Pity you can't semi-recess the weapon. You wouldn't want even a small bump on the runway or it would smack the weapon every two feet!!. But I love the idea so keep going!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Looks mad but I like it!!!. Pity you can't semi-recess the weapon. You wouldn't want even a small bump on the runway or it would smack the weapon every two feet!!. But I love the idea so keep going!. :lol:
Yup, takeoff would be hairy business with this load. Next time we should ask Mr Wallis to design something that will fit under the wings. Or something with wings you could fit a bouncer under. Or something.. :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Looks mad but I like it!!!. Pity you can't semi-recess the weapon. You wouldn't want even a small bump on the runway or it would smack the weapon every two feet!!. But I love the idea so keep going!. :lol:
Yup, takeoff would be hairy business with this load. Next time we should ask Mr Wallis to design something that will fit under the wings. Or something with wings you could fit a bouncer under. Or something.. :-D

How's you Vulcan coming along?
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This gives me a thought. What other aircraft could carry an upkeep? My first thought would be a Canberra. Sweet work so far mate.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Gregers wrote:What other aircraft could carry an upkeep? My first thought would be a Canberra. Sweet work so far mate.
If I recall correctly, the Upkeep system weighed in at a bit over 10000 lbs. That exceeds the payload specs for a Canberra or Buccaneer (or even TSR2, since we're whiffing anyways). While Phantom could handle the weight, it couldn't take it all on the centreline hardpoint, nor would it have room under the fuselage for something this bulky; Typhoon would have the same issues.
The V-force could handle such a load, as could Nimrod. With a bit of constructive vandalism at the rear end, I think Hercules could be persuaded to carry one (or even two), but dropping it with the needed accuracy might be an issue. Shackleton could probably be made to do the job, and I'm certain Lincoln would work (no surprise, given their bloodlines).
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

How about a VC10, with its engins at the rear you would have space to recess the upkeep in the body.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Interesting ideas. The Cranberry and Buccaneer would of course manage the highball bouncers. But I'm stretching the topic here. Looking forward to the next upkeep update.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thinking about it, a Shackleton would make a great whiffer modified into Dambusters spec for anyone daring enough to give it a go. A new tool Airfix Shack mated to parts from a new tool Dambusters Lanc would look very smart if done right.

IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:How about a VC10, with its engins at the rear you would have space to recess the upkeep in the body.
I think this might be problematic. You want all that extra weight roughly where he wings meet the body or a bit behind that (centre of lift), and the VC10 has the wing, and thus the main spar, right at the bottom of the body. There have been studies about converting airliner designs into bombers in the past, and all them ran afoul of having to cut the main spar to put the payload where it needs to go. That said, it sits rather high from the ground, so with some carefull puzzling it might be possible.
Suggesting a low level bombrun with one of these might result in even more raised eyebrows than with the Lancs though..

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”