Rob's Buccaneer mob *finished*

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Buccaneer mob *finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

Some time ago, I got it into my head to see if I could get my paws on to every 1/72 scale flying machine in the 1981 Matchbox catalog, and build them. I took me about half a year, but I found them. Building them, not unexpectedly, was another matter, but with this build, I'm finaly kicking off what I refer to as one of my Pokemon projects.

This particular kit had a previous owner who very "helpfully" removed most of the parts from the sprues, so the sprue shot is a little different:

The crew were AWOL, but the spares box still had a pair of (by the looks of it) Matchbox jet pilots in white plastic, so I'll consider that an acceptable fudge.

My intention is to build this kit (and the rest of that pile) as bare plastic first, then disassemble as far as needed for painting, and do the whole thing over again "for real". I'd sort of tested the idea on my Tempest from the Wulf in Johnson's Clothing GB, and decided I like it, but that the process needed a bit of improvement. We'll see how it goes with the Buc.

This hole "build the same thing twice" idea has one clear downside: you need two complete sets of decals to do it properly. I had only one set for the Buccaneer, but Dwomby was kind enough to donate a spare set to this cause, which should be travelling accross the Atlantic in the care of the postal system as I write this. Thanks again, David
gnomemeansgnome

Re: Rob's Buccaneer

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Cool. I have the later boxing in Granby kit, plus some nice South African markings too. Have fun with the Banana!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Pre-dawn Buccaneer raid claims first blood in this GB. Yarrrr!!

Since I couldn't sleep after the cat had used my bed, and by implication, me, as a trampoline just past 5 this morning, I figured I might as well get an early start. Cleaned up the main parts to the point where they could be joined (I tend to leave the bits sticking out of the composite part on to avoid over-sanding), and reduced a bunch of two part parts to single parts.

Fit is quite nice actually, with only the upper and lower wing parts leaving a gap that will need working. I'll be fudging this with white filler, as I don't have white sprue to work with. I did find a bunch of sinkholes that will need work. Fortunately, most of these are on the dark blue fuselage halves, and I do have some sprue in that colour, which is now soaking in solvent to become sprue soup/filler to deal with them. The seats needed a lot of cleaning up, but nothing problematic.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Pah! Cats! :-D

I'll be interested to see how the sprue soup works out.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

looking forward to seeing this one finished, thanks for sharing.
George B.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Sir T wrote:I'll be interested to see how the sprue soup works out.
Tests show it should do the job, and do it quite well actually. The operating characteristics suck though.

It's quite hard to work with. On the one hand, it takes forever to set. You can't touch the affected area for half a day at least, and full cure is two or three days. It also shrinks. On the other hand, it is very 'hot', and will melt and deform the plastic around it if applied in any quantity. For normal use, this means any serious filling may take weeks to fix, as multiple thin layers need to be built up.

On the brighter side, a small gap, say 0.5mm wide and a few centineters long, can be dealt with in one go, and once sanded, it is the smoothest you'll ever see. This isn't resin and powder (like normal fillers are some variation of), this is actual plastic. And of course, if you use scraps of the same plastic as the parts, a perfect colour match.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I just put blobs of disolved sprue into the sinkholes. Now, we wait...

The wings have been sanded smooth; the white filler seems to blend in nicely with the white plastic. Other than a lump of lead in the nose, that's it for today.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Where's ya Buccaneers?

On me buckin 'ead. :-D

Nigel
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:I just put blobs of disolved sprue into the sinkholes. Now, we wait...
The sinkholes are no more. The plastic doesn't nearly look as grubby in real life, that's the flash exaggerating the effect of different levels of smoothness. A good thick coat of varnish will sort that out. The much lighter pips along the seam are real though, probably sprue "wounds". Some action required there.

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Very nicely done.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Oh boy, have I hit a snag :evil:

It turns out that my apparently complete kit has two right engine exhausts, and zero left ones. The look very similar at first glance, but they really are completely different shapes. No idea how I'm going to weasel my way out of this one, let alone within the GB timeframe :evil:
fredk

Post by fredk »

Can a wrong one be reprofiled with plastic card and fillers?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

fredk wrote:Can a wrong one be reprofiled with plastic card and fillers?
Possibly, but that would take a long time, and it wouldn't look the part anymore. No problem when doing a normal build, but this one was supposed to look good without paint, and the hacked up part would stand out like a sore thumb. I'll have to try and source a second kit in three colour boxing, and soon. I can then do a resin copy of the missing part, and use the original for the bare plastic build, while the copy can be used for a normal Buc.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:I'll have to try and source a second kit in three colour boxing, and soon..
eBay to the rescue. With any luck I won't lose more time than I can afford. Since this one is actually still on the sprues, it will also get me a supply of mid blue plastic to play with.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Missing pieces not withstanding, work has progressed:

The engine to fuselage joins may or may not be clean, but due to the deep dark blue next to any shadows, they sure look good. Not so much the nose and tail cones; these are awful, and have been given a dose of sprue soup, which will take a few days to set. This won't prevent me from doing further work from Sunday; the sprue might not be fully cured by then, but neither will it be vulnerable and/or messy. The connection between the engine exhaust and the main engine pod is not clean, and will take considerable sanding, but, crucially, I don't think filler will be needed. That means no long curing times, and thus no reason why the newly ordered part should be impossible to fit in relatively little time.

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”