Rob's Strikemaster *finished*

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Strikemaster *finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

My final entry into this little endeavour is a fairly special Strikemaster:

A limited edition run (500 copies) of these were produced for the celebrations around 10 years of DPMV (a German modelling organisation) and 40 years of IPMS in The Netherlands. It is also one of the, if not the, last production run done by Revell in Germany, made on their last remaining injection moulding machine that was at the time still in use for testshots. To make every kit unique, they'd thrown in several colours of plastic, causing each sprue to have a unique pattern of interblending colours (or so they told us).
The IPMS were handing their alotment out to members on a first come, first serve basis, but to my significant amazement, they failed to shift them all, and I ended up with a second copy. The one I'll be building is number 245, as number 102 has a more attractive pattern of colours in the plastic, and will therefore stay untouched as one of my very few collector's items.

Talking of plastic:

These kits came with decals for the Saudi markings also included with the original boxings, but instead of the New Zealand markings, the second option on these was for a machine from Oman, which I'll be using for this build.

I'll be resisting the urge to AMS the heck out of this rather special kit, preferring instead to do this OOB, which seems more appropriate given the circumstances.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Rob's Strikemaster

Post by PaulBradley »

Groovy! Any thoughts on leaving it unpainted?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That plastic is a really unusual thing for a major manufacturer to do. Can we see pics of 102 too, please, Rob.

David
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

PaulBradley wrote:Groovy! Any thoughts on leaving it unpainted?
I've got 102 for fawning over the psychedelic plastic, so no, this one is just going to be built as the best model I can squeeze from just the box parts. For classic Matchbox, there's a case (see my Buccaneer), but this has no history or memories to go with bare plastic. This one needs to be honoured differently.
dwomby wrote:That plastic is a really unusual thing for a major manufacturer to do. Can we see pics of 102 too, please, Rob.
Well, it was a fairly special run, for multiple special occasions.
I'll put a shot of 102 up later (no time, and no light left for taking pictures now). You might find the differences underwhelming though.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I have this kit - I've been thinking about using my spare airfix decals and building it as a JP mk.5.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

''All mistakes can be hidden with poor photography :-D ''
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Interesting bit of modelling history.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:
dwomby wrote:That plastic is a really unusual thing for a major manufacturer to do. Can we see pics of 102 too, please, Rob.
I'll put a shot of 102 up later (no time, and no light left for taking pictures now). You might find the differences underwhelming though.
As promised:

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Wow that's a special kit!
I made the Saudi Strikemaster and I'm still very pleased with her!
Nothing against the kit but I do prefer having the classic Matchbox 2 different coloured sprews.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks so odd.

David
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Maverick231 wrote:Nothing against the kit but I do prefer having the classic Matchbox 2 different coloured sprews.
I'm rather uncurably infected with that same preference, to the point that I'll sometimes take two boxings of the same kit done in different plastic, and swap out a few sprues just to get the effect :roll: . It's one of my pet peeves about the Revell repops of old Matchbox kits that they're now done in a single colour.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

There's not a whole lot of assembly involved in this kit, but I took it as far as it would go before a painting session for the pilots and "cockpit".

The intakes will need a bit of care and attention, and the wings will need some filler. I also intend to box in the wheel wells with some epoxy putty (green stuff, I think, but I'm a bit whimsical in such matters).
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The intakes have been cleaned, there's filler in the far too large gaps between wings and control surfaces, and lead in the nose. I get the feeling this will be a fairly quick build, especially by my slow standards.
MDT

Post by MDT »

Nice little kit! Love the 'marble' effect plastic.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've got the crew painted up.

It will be a while before they get installed in their office. Dry fitting showed the entire contents of the cockpit can be installed with the fuselage closed, and since these are somewhat vulnerable bits, I'll postpone that until just before painting the aircraft itself.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Hows this coming along?
Anything more to share yet?
5 days gone already
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”