ChrisM's military movers : all 7 vehicles finished + figures

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: ChrisM's military movers

Post by chrism »

splash wrote:Those base's are starting to look brilliant, out of all the Matchbox base's which one is your favourite?
I haven't really got a favourite, as there are quite a few of the kits I haven't built or seen built; but I do like the bits and pieces that come with Monty caravan to have a group men around a map ... but I guess the ones with the ruined buildings add something to the scene. There was one with a truck and a jeep and a ruined building behind it that was quite nice and I would like to find to get. Come on Revell ... a few more re-releases of these little gems please.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

chrism wrote:The instructions actually state to put an ounce of weight in at that end .. But I put a bit more than that in
You mean like this ? :)

or this ? There's less weight as I built the folding SBG which doesn't stick out as far.

One of my all time favorite kits ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I take it that Matchbox's recommendation of an ounce of ballast is a bit short of what is required then? :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

ShaunW wrote:I take it that Matchbox's recommendation of an ounce of ballast is a bit short of what is required then? :grin:
By about half a tonne by the look of John's build! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

I went for plenty, as I have ideas .... and want to make sure I am covered and doesn't "nose-dive" (makes a change from a tail sitter) when it all eventually comes together.

I need to get a crack on as the month is drawing to a close and only 6 days remain .... of which not every day I can spend modelling. I need to get back to some drying paint and hopefully can give a further update soon
chrism

Post by chrism »

As mentioned earlier ... and getting this build thread back up to date.

As I was still in the mood for bases ...

This out of focus one, gives you an idea of what I am trying to achieve for the AVRE. Using the kit piece for one side of the "water" and a home-brew hocus-pocus of mess, which was a few bits of broken terracotta plant pot UHU'd down and covered with polyfilla. The second photo shows in better detail the pieces of broken metal-work sticking up, to compement those on the moulded base piece. I made these using a short pieces of lolly-pop style coffee stirrers cut up, but any thin modelling strip wood or evergreen glued into an "I" beam format would work (as would I-beam evergreen had I had any in a large enough scale!)

The water is just paper glued down and which I shall paint later to represent the water...

the base for the Comet, has been given a somewhat more substantial piece of twiggy stuff which I found on a walk round the local park

last photo for a day or two - of where I am late tonight, with the AVRE base.

Next up, adding some scattery grass and earth stuff to these two.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This is great fun watching all these bases coming together.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Great work on all those bases.
Almost as much work to them as the AFVs
chrism wrote:...I need to get a crack on as the month is drawing to a close and only 6 days remain .... of which not every day I can spend modelling. I need to get back to some drying paint and hopefully can give a further update soon
10 days. This ends on March 4th. So you've got a few more days in hand
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work with these bases Chris and, indeed, making a new one for the AVRE.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks everyone for the comments; the bases are the "fun" bit with these old kits, that also gives them a uniqueness among the newer kits on the market.

It is a relief to learn I have an extra few days into March to finish everything off. Rate I am going I shall need it. I was fortunate enough to find myself in position with around 40 minutes to spare before needing to get dinner organised tonight, so I thought I would try and crack on and get a couple bits and pieces sorted, and if I was quick maybe a dab paint here and there...

Alas, I had a somewhat unwanted mischievous thief put in a reappearance as soon as I sat down to do something, (I don't like to mention names... but you know who) and subsequently spent most of that time today, searching on the floor and/or under the table, moving everything around on the table. Finally, he did relinquish his ill gotten gains, so I decided to quit while I was back ahead.

Hopefully Saturday will be a tad less stressful, and a lot more productive.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Saturday was not a productive day for modelling at all. Today, has been a bit better:

This morning I got the Jagdpanther all assembled and base coated

and made some progress with parts of the bridgelayer.

After lunch the Jagdpanther got the camo painted, and just before this photo was taken I glossed up in places ready for decals

this pot shows a collection of little bits and pieces I still need to add to different kits:

There was some more progress with the bridge layer since tea, and I will get photos uploaded later, once camera has re-charged
chrism

Post by chrism »

Further progress from today on the bridgelayer and the bases:

base for the comet with some "grass" type scatter stuff on it. I used the "cheap stuff".... rather than the static and same stuff on the other for the bridgelayer.

the vehicle bit of the AVRE is pretty much all together now, and ready for decals too, before I add the bridge bits and rig it all.

Progress is now upto date on everything. I am sure that with a bit of time this week, I can get decals on one evening; and then that will just leave some sand/dust or mud type weathering on them and then I can put all my time into the bridgelayer for rest of the week.
NON VI SED ARTE
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by NON VI SED ARTE »

Love the work on the AVRE and its base . Also the details on bits and pieces
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work Chris, you are now making me want to go out and buy more Matchbox military vehicle kits to add to my collection! Alas, Saturday was not terribly productive for me either, I seem to recall spending most of the afternoon watching OT's Blitzbau House antics, the TV and drinking tinnies instead of getting on with some modelling - I can be so easily distracted :ha:

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chris you are a genius, these builds are looking fantastic.

How did you get the wood effect on the ARV's bridge?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”