Springy's A-34 MK-1 Comet **Finished**

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Springy's A-34 MK-1 Comet

Post by Springy67 »

Well, I've finally got this to a stage close enough that I'll call it finished. The tank still needs a little work, a smidge more weathering, dry brush the machine guns with gun metal, dust with pastels to take away the sheen, etc but, as it is now Sunday night in Aus, I may not get to it again for a few days.

The diorama needs the barbed wire painting in. Until I read Splash's comment, I hadn't realised the diorama was a shell crater :oops: Of course, when I looked at it again, it is obvious :roll: With that in mind, I bent the branches away from the explosion and added some stumps from Tamiya filler to represent branches blown off. I intend to put some foliage on the side of the tree away from the explosion as the branches don't look too realistic otherwise. I also need to touch up the stumps with light oak to represent the shattered wood. I will add some small sticks for the fallen branches. The grey you can see is where I had to fix one of the stumps back in place after it broke when I was fitting the tree into the hole I'd drilled.

This has been a fun but challenging build of a kit I've always wanted. In addition to the paint problems I experienced, both the tracks snapped when I tried to fit them (in addition to one snapping previously). Luckily I was able to hide the joins behind the mud guards. I spent ages whittling down the individual teeth on the drive wheels so they would fit through the holes in the tracks and they still wouldn't go. :frown: So I had to cut them off. :sad: Then, to top that all off, I injured my back and couldn't sit down. I tried modelling in the way that the Romans used to eat, reclining on a couch, but it was no good. Fortunately, some extra-strong horse-tranquliser painkillers came to the rescue and I was able to get it finished yesterday and today.

Despite their age, the decals worked okay and actually had a nice faded look about them.

Anyway, enough of my rambling; on with the show!

Once again, I'd like to thank John for generously donating this kit. I hope I have done it justice.

Cheers all
Springy
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent work, I love what you have done with the tree, it's very effective.

That's not a kit I have built but it's on my shopping list now.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That looks sweet. And your not alone in not knowing that the base is a shell crater. I didn't know either.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I built one of these on here a while ago - in fact it was a failed blitzbau thanks to the recalcitrant tracks! I never realised the base represented a shell hole either! I left my base OOB with the rather pathetic twig that MB provide whereas yours also has that fantastic additional shell shocked tree. This is a great build Springy, very well done with it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”