David's entomological build - Gnat T1 **FINISHED**

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

David's entomological build - Gnat T1 **FINISHED**

Post by DavidWomby »

Although I have two original Afx Lightnings underway in that SB and normally try not to have more than two kits on the go at once, I have to be in this Mbox GB, so here goes.

I had originally planned to do the Phantom and correct a few of its main inaccuracies but decided I had better pick something smaller to avoid it, and the Lightnings, ending on the shelf of doom (that tends to happen when I try doing too many at once).

After much dithering over what to build, and trying to avoid kits that others are doing (I don't think I saw a Gnat listed here), I have opted for the Gnat PK-15. The mould is marked © 1973. So here's the box and sprues. The decals are in the house somewhere but are MIA today.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: David's entomological build

Post by JamesPerrin »

T'is a kit of few vices, but I found that if you bevel the edges of the slots in the fuselage for the wings and tail planes you'll get a more snug fit.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, James. I'll take a fresh look at your build - a white one, wasn't it?

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
chrism

Post by chrism »

dwomby wrote: .... and trying to avoid kits that others are doing
Never feel bad, nor try to avoid something, just because someone else got in there before you...

Build and join in with what you want too, and I, would be pleased to see two people take on the same kit, and see the two different approaches. It may well be that one of you pushes the other, into doing some simple evergreen and wire type improvements let alone an a/m Eduard or somesuch set of etch or resin stuff
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks. I've been through it again. Lovely job. I'll be happy if mine looks half as good.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

chrism wrote:
dwomby wrote: .... and trying to avoid kits that others are doing
Never feel bad, nor try to avoid something, just because someone else got in there before you...

Build and join in with what you want too, and I, would be pleased to see two people take on the same kit, and see the two different approaches. It may well be that one of you pushes the other, into doing some simple evergreen and wire type improvements let alone an a/m Eduard or somesuch set of etch or resin stuff
I wasn't very clear. Sorry. I wasn't meaning I didn't want to build something because somebody else was doing it. I meant I wanted to build something different to expand the range of Mbox kits represented in the GB.

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

Hows this coming along?
Have you had a chance to get started on it yet?
5 days gone already
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Hi Fred,

Does cutting 3 parts off the sprues count as started? :grin:

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Good choice of kit David!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, Stuart. It's a nice little thing and test fitting seems to be OK. Unusually for me, I have decided on the paint scheme already - usually that's a very last minute decision. I am planning for it to be a CFS machine with red and white fuselage but grey upper and lower wings from c.1970. Later the upper wings were changed to red with a white stripe. I just need to source a fin badge for it but think I have one for a Hawk in the decal stash that should suffice.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

A smidgen of progress.

I'll keep the cockpit simple. The seats aren't terrible but I think I'll beef up the headboxes a bit.

Mbox kindly moulded a separate tailpipe but I will cut it from its backing plate so I can paint it separately and insert it after the fuselage is painted.

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

dwomby wrote:Thanks, Stuart. It's a nice little thing and test fitting seems to be OK. Unusually for me, I have decided on the paint scheme already - usually that's a very last minute decision. I am planning for it to be a CFS machine with red and white fuselage but grey upper and lower wings from c.1970. Later the upper wings were changed to red with a white stripe. I just need to source a fin badge for it but think I have one for a Hawk in the decal stash that should suffice.

David
That's a great looking scheme - good choice!

Good progress thus far David!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Adding splitter plates to the intakes.

Made my first boo-boo on this one. I cut the shoulder that extends forward from the wingroots and forms the top of the intakes back so they sloped instead of appearing as a big ledge just inside the intake but I forgot to leave the outer edge intact so I now have small triangular holes at the upper join of the intake lips to fuselage. Nothing a bit of filler won't fix.

Speaking of filler, this kit seems to fit rather well and I hope to use very little but I think I may fill the trenchlines on the upper fuselage/spine as they are very prominent.

David
59North

Post by 59North »

dwomby wrote: Speaking of filler, this kit seems to fit rather well and I hope to use very little
You're a lucky man!
I actually didn't use filler on MB kits as a youngster, and they sure all looked like the subject they were supposed to look like. It's only since I've got old that I'm more particular in a grumpy way.
Glad to see you well started and underway :)

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”