Splashes Locomotive.

Anything -- air, land, sea -- whose purpose is to haul any sort of cargo, to include people.
This GB runs 17th Feb through 31st March and your host is Old_Tonto.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Splashes Locomotive.

Post by ShaunW »

It was probably not the intention of the Revell designers to provide a 100% complete interior as in reality it doesn't look like a great deal will be visible but IMHO what they have provided is plenty to fill the void that otherwise might be visible through the windows. I would agree that the space behind the cab at one end will be where the cooling systems are found on the full-size loco, given the position of the grilles etc - I don't think anything would be visible through those hence the radiators have not been provided.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm looking at adding lights to the front and inside, the problem is modern DCC train sets us 18v AC current and I plan to use LED's, the problem is LED's only like current flowing in one direction so in theory should not be used on AC circuits

Now before I get flooded with people saying they use LED's on AC with no problems, I know they work but they only work on half of the AC cycle at a reduced brightness and in theory have a greater chance of failing.

I'm looking at adding a simple AC - DC converter for several reasons:
First they cost less than £2 each on eBay.
Secondly my friend who's train set that this will finish up on, has a glitch with his system, that makes all the LED's on he's set, blink once every five seconds, the capacitor in the converter will stop the blinking.
Third I have room for the converter and it's good practice.

As you can see from the photo I have lots of room in the spare compartment, it's behind the front of the train where space might be an issue.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Thats looking like a really great build,(yet another :) ) on the way.
George B.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:Now before I get flooded with people saying they use LED's on AC with no problems, I know they work but they only work on half of the AC cycle at a reduced brightness and in theory have a greater chance of failing.
This, of course, brings up something of a philosophical and/or technical question: is it a good idea to put four diodes under AC to prevent a single other diode from being subjected to AC? :-D Seriously, I don't know the particulars of LEDs versus other diodes, but I'm not all that certain that the four diodes in the bridge have a smaller cumulative chance of failing than a single LED would. Brightness issues are of course real, but keep in mind that rapidly blinking is exactly how dimmable LED lighting operates (been there, built that..)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

rob_van_riel wrote:
splash wrote:Now before I get flooded with people saying they use LED's on AC with no problems, I know they work but they only work on half of the AC cycle at a reduced brightness and in theory have a greater chance of failing.
This, of course, brings up something of a philosophical and/or technical question: is it a good idea to put four diodes under AC to prevent a single other diode from being subjected to AC? :-D Seriously, I don't know the particulars of LEDs versus other diodes, but I'm not all that certain that the four diodes in the bridge have a smaller cumulative chance of failing than a single LED would. Brightness issues are of course real, but keep in mind that rapidly blinking is exactly how dimmable LED lighting operates (been there, built that..)
You are quit right about the four diodes in the rectifier, but as electricity always takes the easiest path it will flow through them taking the correct path during each cycle producing DC current at twice the frequency.

If the LED's are too bright I might have to just use the half cycle of the 18V AC :sad:
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That's extremely cool work, Alan. So this one will have running gear as well as lighting?
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:That's extremely cool work, Alan. So this one will have running gear as well as lighting?
No running gear just sitting static with its lights on. I did think about adding an MP3 card with diesel tick over sound, but they get annoying very quickly :-D
chrism

Post by chrism »

Turn my back on this for a couple days and your getting into technical and clever things with electrics!

I will do my penance ... and lines:
Must pay more attention
Must pay more attention
Must pay more atte
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Wow Splash, you won't lose those will you? :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry, you've lost me. When it comes to fitting electrickery thangs like this to models I know next to nowt. Still, it all looks and sounds very plausible Alan and I bet it will look great parked up with the lights on.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ShaunW wrote:Sorry, you've lost me. When it comes to fitting electrickery thangs like this to models I know next to nowt. Still, it all looks and sounds very plausible Alan and I bet it will look great parked up with the lights on.
It's actually easier than it sounds, in the good old days model trains ran on DC current in theory anything between 0 - 12volts the higher the voltage the faster the train would run forwards and if you reversed the current it would run backwards and any lights on the train would go from off to dim to bright.

Train sets used to use very small 12volt bulbs called grain of rice or wheat bulbs that did not mind the polarity and worked with the train running in any direction.

The problem was the light were very dim if the train ran slow and if it ran fast the bulbs got hot and melted the plastic.

Step forward to modern times and it's all change, no longer are the train motors connected direct to the the rails, now they go through mini computers fitted in the train that converts the 18volt AC into 18 volt DC pulses that control the speed and direction the train runs. The advantage is you can now run lots of trains at the same time on the same line and the LED lights can be on when the train is stationary and they give off very little heat.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

splash wrote: Step forward to modern times and it's all change, no longer are the train motors connected direct to the the rails, now they go through mini computers fitted in the train that converts the 18volt AC into 18 volt DC pulses that control the speed and direction the train runs. The advantage is you can now run lots of trains at the same time on the same line and the LED lights can be on when the train is stationary and they give off very little heat.
Good grief! Time has indeed marched on from my 3 rail Duchess of Montrose set.

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Darn and I just chopped a bunch of wood to stock the tender :) guess I'm really behind ...

I'm not sure why you are worried about bulbs dimming -- that silver/orange scheme will standout in a black hole !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It's been out with the soldering iron today to solder up some very small LED's, I have been wondering how to illuminate the head and side lights, then I came up with an idea to set one super bright LED back from the headlight this will light up the side lights as well.

A quick test show it works, the photos don't show the side light as being very bright but actually in the dark it looks ok.

The cockpit will be illuminated with a small yellow LED as I think white light would not look right.

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Some propper bodging going on with this one Splash, great stuff.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Cargo Haulers”