Splashes Locomotive.

Anything -- air, land, sea -- whose purpose is to haul any sort of cargo, to include people.
This GB runs 17th Feb through 31st March and your host is Old_Tonto.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Splashes Locomotive.

Post by iggie »

splash wrote:
iggie wrote:That's a heck of a lot of detail to put inside a virtually sealed tin can!
My first thought was to leave the engine out and use it as low loader load either behind a Lorry or train.
iggie wrote:That's a heck of a lot of detail to put inside a virtually sealed tin can!
I could make a good engine change diorama with the roof off and a crane.
Didn't Airfix once make an overhead gantry crane? I know they did the dockside one, but I seem to have faint memories of another....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:
splash wrote:
My first thought was to leave the engine out and use it as low loader load either behind a Lorry or train.
I could make a good engine change diorama with the roof off and a crane.
Didn't Airfix once make an overhead gantry crane? I know they did the dockside one, but I seem to have faint memories of another....
They did the dockside & rail cranes but I think the gantry was just a signal gantry.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That interior detail was unexpected, a real shame to hide it. Surely there are some large side panels to open up ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

looks like a lot of detail in this kit, should be a nice build to follow
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

That's an impressive amount of interior detail, I'd be tempted to leave one side off as a 'cutaway' model just to show it off. Regardless, I think I'm going to have to check out Revell's train range, despite previously having no interest whatsoever in such things.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Migrant wrote:That's an impressive amount of interior detail, I'd be tempted to leave one side off as a 'cutaway' model just to show it off. Regardless, I think I'm going to have to check out Revell's train range, despite previously having no interest whatsoever in such things.
The extra detail in this kit makes it much more fun to build than others, like the old Airfix Deltic that I have built.

This is one kit where transparent sides would have been a good option.

I found a couple of internal photos showing the inside of the drivers compartment was a plesent light green with the drivers console in what looked like a bronze-brown colour and the engine was a pale all over light gray.

I think I will give the engine an oil wash to bring out the detail then place the sides on, to see what will show out of the side windows before adding any extra detail.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have given the engine a wash of brown oil paint but as you can see from the second image once buttoned up little of it will be seen :sad:

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

There is a surprising amount of detail in that engine Splash. Looks good.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
iggie

Post by iggie »

It's kind of mystifying why they even bothered with the innards; I suppose the parts count without the internal detail would have been a bit low for the kit price?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

After a coat of black primer I gave the two sides a coat of aluminium then masked the aluminium and sprayed the orange.

I'm quite pleased that I finished up with no under sprey.

It's starting to look quite colourful :-D
iggie

Post by iggie »

It certainly is!

Thats some very sharp paintwork, especially so with the ribbing on the sides!
Best wishes

Jim
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:It certainly is!

Thats some very sharp paintwork, especially so with the ribbing on the sides!
I thought I might get some creeping under the ribbing and on the grills but apart from a very small part of the black primer pulling off on the lower black area everything worked fine. The black at the bottom was all covered in NATO Black.

I will give it all a coat of clear gloss as the sides will require lots of handling and decals.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a great looking pair of kits from Revell in this box. Really nice looking detail both inside and out, which can be appreciated whether one is interested in locomotives or not. The paint job is looking very smart Alan.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Looking real good so far, but I must admit the interior has me somawhat baffled. Why is it a-symmetrical, and what is the large unused area between one of the cabins and the engine? Did Revell leave out some of the interior? Or do these machine simply need a certain minimum length to give them enough room for the wheel blocks?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

rob_van_riel wrote: I must admit the interior has me somawhat baffled. Why is it a-symmetrical, and what is the large unused area between one of the cabins and the engine?
The power supply for these trains is a large 16 cylinder diesel producing 3000 hp, this is connected to a generator that powers 6 electric motors one on each axil, looking at the air vents on the side and three large fans that are fitted on the roof, the empty space must be full of radiators to keep the diesel cool.

Having now done more searching for internal and external photos of these trains I have found lots of different internal colours including green, grey and cream and a huge amount of different external colours check out this site for lots of colour choices http://www.fluidr.com/photos/15632944@N ... 788/random

Return to “Cargo Haulers”