***FINISHED (after a fashion)*** KB throws a cog

Anything -- air, land, sea -- whose purpose is to haul any sort of cargo, to include people.
This GB runs 17th Feb through 31st March and your host is Old_Tonto.
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

***FINISHED (after a fashion)*** KB throws a cog

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Well, hopefully not.

This is the Zvezda/Revell rebox that's just emerged from the back of the stash cupboard (isn't technology amazing, the last five words came up as suggestions on my predictive texting).

I'll start this in March and the plan is to build it as a waterline model in some sort of harbour setting with some sort of crew. Zvezda's medieval militia and artillery look like possibles; yer actual 1/72 civilians made by some esoteric supplier in Germany cost about twenty quid for three, which is a tenner more than the model cost. Mind you, they are mostly female and naked, so it might be worth it. Perhaps I should name the ship Venus.
Kevan Bailey
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: KB throws a cog

Post by Old_Tonto »

Very cool choice Kevan. Not something you see everyday. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
fredk

Post by fredk »

Checkout Emhar Viking Oarsmen
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1317;
They are made of a bendable resin so some of the seated oarsmen might be able to be bent to other postures and there are 10 other crew figs

or
Zvezda Medieval Peasant Army
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1599;
get rid of their long weapons and they can be doing ship rigging tasks
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That's a nice unusual subject, I look forward to watching this build.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Interesting! Looks like it'll be a colourful build too
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

We're thinking along the same lines, Fred. Problem is, you end up with a lot of busy-looking people when you start carving off their pole arms or whatever and I'd much rather have them standing around doing nothing. Much more realistic.

Colourful, Iggy? Don't you know that the Middle Ages were all dull and drab? Seriously though, it's just asking for a Dover Castle keep paint job.
Kevan Bailey
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Cool !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

It's Sunday and it's raining. Cog time.

One of my problems is that I keep forgetting to take photographs as I go along. I was about half an hour in when I realised that I hadn't taken any sprue shots. Apologies for this, as they would be worth seeing: this is a Big Kit, huge pieces of plastic. You wonder how you're going to stick them together. Here's the end of the beginning, hull sides and deck in place, sprayed desert sand and with the deck washed:

I spent a lot of time thinking about how to paint this monster. Most of it is natural wood, oak to be specific, with the hull sides waterproofed with tar. My natural inclination was to spray the whole plot black then drybrush it up to an appropriate wood shade. However, having looked at some ship modelling sites on the web I thought I'd try the oil wash method, hence the sand base coat. I'm not entirely convinced that it's going to work out, but at least you can get it off if it looks horrible. I've put a couple of coats on, using yellow ochre for the decks and raw umber for the hull; clearly it needs darkening up with a few more washes, but maybe it's getting there. Problem is, it will take about a week to cure.

The fore and aft castles are brightly painted so they should contrast nicely. I'm trying to make up my mind what to do about the sail, which is going to be furled. I'll build both my current options and see which looks best.

I'm going to go ahead with giving the ship a harbour background and I've managed to find some appropriate figures at Germania Figuren which won't break the bank. Have to say I was tempted by the Naked Women set, but I managed to resist.
Kevan Bailey
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That's looking really good. A trick I found with using oil colours for washes is, use lighter fluid to thin the oil paint, this dries much quicker than white spirit or turpentine.
iggie

Post by iggie »

How about using a sheet of grease proof paper for the furled sail?

Nice work so far though!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Looking very nice indeed.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

splash wrote:A trick I found with using oil colours for washes is, use lighter fluid to thin the oil paint, this dries much quicker than white spirit or turpentine.
Thanks for that, Alan. I'll give it a try today. What's the drying time, do you think?
Kevan Bailey
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

iggie wrote:How about using a sheet of grease proof paper for the furled sail?
Already tried something like that, Iggy. Just too stiff to hang right. Very fine linen is a possibility; you can furl it correctly and, of course, it's the same material as it would have been on the original. Watch this space.
Kevan Bailey
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Kevan Bailey wrote:
splash wrote:A trick I found with using oil colours for washes is, use lighter fluid to thin the oil paint, this dries much quicker than white spirit or turpentine.
Thanks for that, Alan. I'll give it a try today. What's the drying time, do you think?
I have found the lighter fluid evaporates quickly allowing you to take off the excess within an hour and the rest dries over night.
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon:

I've said before what a big kit this is; the Tamiya paint jar should give some idea of its actual size. The hull colour is coming up somewhere towards where I want it to be, but I'm starting to think that I should have painted it black and drybrushed it. Still not too late...........

I've built the castles and put the first coat of paint on. The bits in primer are going to be red. I love the vibrant colours they used in the Middle Ages, they painted just about everything including the cathedrals. They had a very different sense of colour combination; we'd never dream of putting red and pink together nowadays, but that was fine back then. Very manly colour, pink. Blame the Victorians for feminising it.

I've also been thinking about the background. As I've only got three weeks to finish, I'm not going to build an accurate dockside but use Dave Graffham's wargame buildings. You buy these as multi-layer PDFs which you print out once you've designed the building. They are drawn for 28mm by default, but you can scale them down to 20mm. I first came across them when I was doing an Elizabethan project at school and for the few bucks they cost, they've been invaluable. You can combine parts from different buildings as he's designed them with similar dimensions and finishes. Brilliant stuff; we built London Bridge one year. Here's a bit I was working on last night:

Obviously they're 2-D but I think they'll do the trick.
Kevan Bailey

Return to “Cargo Haulers”