VV's Boxing Flycar **non-starter** :(

Anything -- air, land, sea -- whose purpose is to haul any sort of cargo, to include people.
This GB runs 17th Feb through 31st March and your host is Old_Tonto.
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

VV's Boxing Flycar **non-starter** :(

Post by VickersVandal »

One of my interests is mercenary aircraft, largely as a result of reading Outlaws Inc.
This build is inspired by my Time-Life Epic of Flight series volume "Soldiers of Fortune" section on the Civil Air Transport company that more or less grew out of the Flying Tigers and basically did the CIA's dirty work, but with plausible deniability....
At one stage flew supply drop missions to the French in Indochina using USAF-supplied Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcars. This build represents one such.

I picked the Italeri kit up for a song at the local model club kit auction. It looks like a very nice build.

It comes with a bonus jeep kit which I'll build if there's time. It will be in the scheme shown on the box. Quite rare for me to do an OOB build and use the supplied decals. It will make a nice change.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
MarkyM607

Re: VV's Boxing Flycar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Weren't these chaps in the Air America film?. You could do two planes. one crashed and the other crashed inside it!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

No Mark, the machines in the film "Air America" were C-123 Providers and Pilatus Turbo Porters, the C-113 Packet/Flying Boxcar was used in (both versions of) "Flight of the Pheonix"

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking forward to this, and will be taking notes for mine!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

MarkyM607 wrote:Weren't these chaps in the Air America film?. You could do two planes. one crashed and the other crashed inside it!!.
Ha! :lol:
I might leave that project in your hands :razz:

As lancfan said, these weren't in the movie. Pity - they are much cooler than the aircraft that were.

I'm going to see if I can make a start on it today. Iggie, I'll try to remember to make note for you of how much nose weight I have to add.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks VV; Its your fault anyway, I only ordered mine after seeing yours!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

iggie wrote:Thanks VV; Its your fault anyway, I only ordered mine after seeing yours!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

lancfan wrote:No Mark, the machines in the film "Air America" were C-123 Providers and Pilatus Turbo Porters, the C-113 Packet/Flying Boxcar was used in (both versions of) "Flight of the Pheonix"

David.
Oh. It's a while since I saw the film so going on memory!! :shock: . Thanks for the info, might have to do the diorama now :evil: :lol:
VickersVandal wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Weren't these chaps in the Air America film?. You could do two planes. one crashed and the other crashed inside it!!.
Ha! :lol:
I might leave that project in your hands :razz:

As lancfan said, these weren't in the movie. Pity - they are much cooler than the aircraft that were.

I'm going to see if I can make a start on it today. Iggie, I'll try to remember to make note for you of how much nose weight I have to add.
Darn you for planting the seed of the build, I just wanted to throw an idea at someone and now it's coming back my way!!!! :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

VickersVandal wrote:
iggie wrote:Thanks VV; Its your fault anyway, I only ordered mine after seeing yours!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mine arrived yesterday :grin: :grin: :lol:
Best wishes

Jim
VickersVandal

Re: VV's Boxing Flycar **non-starter** :(

Post by VickersVandal »

Sorry chaps. Really wanted to get into this but I have had possibly the most intense 2 months I've ever experienced. New (extremely demanding) job and major house renos all at once. The model bench has not got a look-in.
Would not be able to get any time in til after next weekend and by then the GB will be almost over. Back to the stash with this one :(

iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a shame; I won't have the benefit of you having shown me how it's done when I tackle mine! :grin:
Hopefully things will calm down for you soon and you'll be able to get some bench time again
Best wishes

Jim
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Sorry about that, but sure hope you can get your schedule sorted in time for the "Hump" build in June.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thanks. Yes, the Hump build is a priority. Less ambitious subject for me too - a 1/72 Roden Camel does not have the time demands of a Boxkite in natural metal finish. It was the realisation that even if I got started on it, the amount of surface/seam preparation required for it to look halfway decent in NMF was well beyond any time I might have had available. The space I use for modelling has been overrun with junk temporarily shifted around from other parts of the house :sad:

Iggie, sorry not to provide a bad example :lol:

I'm very open to the ideas of a Boxie shared build, once life is not INSANE. If so, I could try to stay one step ahead of you so I make all the mistakes first :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

House dramas will be over in another 2-3 weeks and job should be settling down over the next few months.

Return to “Cargo Haulers”