Marky's Big Stick (Peacemaker!!!) ***FINISHED***

Aircraft that flew between 1 Jan 1950 and 31 Dec 1959, military or civilian, in markings of that period - any kit/scale otherwise. Helicopters allowed as "aircraft".
GB runs 25 Feb through 2 Apr and your host is Chuck Finley.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Big Stick (Peacemaker!!!) ***FINISHED***

Post by MarkyM607 »

I'll be attempting this...
And the fuselage compared to a Sopwith Pup....
I made a start last night, seemed to fly along even building the nose wheel before I remembered she's going to be wheels up!!. The flight deck (should be called this (or a bridge!!) rather than a cockpit. The part at the rear is the lower deck and has seats for six!!, and that's just the downstairs!. There are four more seats on the upper deck, Ten chaps just in the nose, doesn't count the gunners which I think should bring the total up to at least sixteen. Will have to check that.

I also have a conversion set to allow the addition of the top turret area, and a Mk.18/24 nuclear weapon so she should be well detailed.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Dazzled

Re: Marky's Big Stick (Peacemaker!!!)

Post by Dazzled »

Neat. 8-)

I'll be starting mine soon, also with the resin turret insert, so I'll be watching with interest

Of course Mark, we could make a shared build out of it. I wonder if there'd be any other takers ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:I'll be attempting this...
I made a start last night, seemed to fly along even building the nose wheel before I remembered she's going to be wheels up!!. The flight deck (should be called this (or a bridge!!) rather than a cockpit. The part at the rear is the lower deck and has seats for six!!, and that's just the downstairs!. There are four more seats on the upper deck, Ten chaps just in the nose, doesn't count the gunners which I think should bring the total up to at least sixteen. Will have to check that.

I also have a conversion set to allow the addition of the top turret area, and a Mk.18/24 nuclear weapon so she should be well detailed.

So, you went for the big bomb. Good Choice. For some good reference shots (In Color) of the B-36 and a real good movie starring Jimmy Stewart (Who flew B-36s in real life), check out Strategic Air Command. I used it when building both the B-36 and B-47s.

http://putlockers.ch/watch-strategic-ai ... ocker.html
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I'll be attempting this...

So, you went for the big bomb. Good Choice. For some good reference shots (In Color) of the B-36 and a real good movie starring Jimmy Stewart (Who flew B-36s in real life), check out Strategic Air Command. I used it when building both the B-36 and B-47s.

http://putlockers.ch/watch-strategic-ai ... ocker.html
It was your (I think) suggestion and I'm glad I went with it! It is cool to model something only the B-26 could carry. Not cool to actually use it but to carry it!...
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:Neat. 8-)

I'll be starting mine soon, also with the resin turret insert, so I'll be watching with interest

Of course Mark, we could make a shared build out of it. I wonder if there'd be any other takers ;-)
Yeah!!, shared B-36 build!, a heck of a lot of plastic flying around!! :grin: :grin:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

So Marky, do you only build big models? :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Old_Tonto wrote:So Marky, do you only build big models? :lol:
At the moment yes!! :ha: . I've got this build, the Transall and a Victor on the go. Although the presence of the Sopwith in the earlier pics suggests size doesn't always have to be BIG!!. :ha:
Thinking of building a Gnat next!!. :lol:
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Strewth. Imagine this in 1/32. Good luck.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

TobyC wrote:Strewth. Imagine this in 1/32. Good luck.
There is one available in 1/48th and that's quite big enough :shock:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The B-36 certainly is a big stick Mark. I saw the 1/48th version at Telford - I'd need a house extension to display it :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:The B-36 certainly is a big stick Mark. I saw the 1/48th version at Telford - I'd need a house extension to display it :ha:
Dazzled wrote:
TobyC wrote:Strewth. Imagine this in 1/32. Good luck.
There is one available in 1/48th and that's quite big enough :shock:
48TH!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Droool. Bet it's too pricey for me though!..
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Can't remember the manufacturer Mark, maybe Darryl can, but I saw the kit components and they were rather large. I remember the Monogram 1/48th B-29 back in the 70's which I believe was, for a time, the largest plastic kit available and the B-36 is considerably larger than a Superfort!

Price wise I can't see a 1/48th B-36 being in the pocket money range somehow......
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's about to be released by HpH models. It's a fibreglass kit and will probably sell for around $400 US.
I had a look and a fondle of the development shots at Telford. It's massive and pretty heavy too 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:It's about to be released by HpH models. It's a fibreglass kit and will probably sell for around $400 US.
I had a look and a fondle of the development shots at Telford. It's massive and pretty heavy too 8-)
Bit out of my price league then!!!. Plus I would be asked to move out by MHMBO (mum who must be obeyed!!!), Yes, no wife but mum is around to keep an eye on my purchasing!. :lol: :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Actually got some work done on this, hopefully pics tomorrow. I've cut out the gun turret door opening for the turret compartment to go into. Added some framing to the bomb bays and added the crew. And the bucket of sunshine is glued (two part 'model'). Although dimensions for this are 24 feet something the resin bomb is about foot short!!.

Return to “Nifty Fifties Aircraft”