Marky's Heinz special

A single-type GB celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the Me/Bf-109 entering Luftwaffe service. Any variant based on the 109 airframe, any kit, any scale, etc.
GB runs 25 March to 30 April and your host is Gadfly.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Heinz special

Post by MarkyM607 »

Although I normally don't go for stuff from 'the other side', I've recently finished reading 'I flew for the fuhrer' by Heinz Knoke. Well worth a read, considered one of the best accounts of aerial warfare in WWII, not much political stuff, just his life and wartime experiences. Almost seems like one of our lads writing it but from the German side. Although the book does not provide details of his aircraft re markings etc, I do know he flies a G model 109 and his units are mentioned so I will try an replicate his aircraft with the Hobby boss Bf109G6 I have.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DazDaMan

Re: Marky's Heinz special

Post by DazDaMan »

Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

DazDaMan wrote:Google is your friend, bro....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 35e7ec.jpg;
That's that sorted then!, Thanks, that will really move things along. Found loads of pics actually but that is really helpful. Time to get decals together. Quickly!!. :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Update 8/4/17. Thanks to Daz, I've managed to work out how to make bigger pics for on here (alright Daz worked it out!!). It means a change from this....
To this

Okay, box and sprue shots...

ImageImage
As I said not the most complicated kit perhaps....
And a copy of the pic found by Daz...

I do have three more 109 kits on the way (two were cheap due to damaged boxes!!) so I may do another 109. Or two/three :lol: :lol:
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'll need to build more Hobby Boss stuff. What I've done so far is nice, anyway!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

I like those HB kits as the 109's are pretty good. Look forward to seeing it with some paint on.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Your wish is my command (well a little bit!! :lol: )
Blue is on but I've been over eager and haven't finished construction yet!, the underside has bits to be finished up first...
Just had to tidy the upper wing root gaps, a tiny bit of filler in...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Starting to look the part, and there's nowt wrong with getting ahead of yourself now and again!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Starting to look the part, and there's nowt wrong with getting ahead of yourself now and again!
True, although I've painted the grey on the Victor without adding the rudder to the tail!!. All now attached to this one so painting is go!!. I was going to use my airbrush but this is such a small aircraft that I think dry brushing for the other colours is the way to go. There thankfully isn't a lot of mottling, more smudgy areas so hopefully this will work. I also have the Airfix G-6 that arrived Friday so I'm contemplating whether to make this too!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I've decided that as the 109 I'm doing is actually a G-2 not a G-6, meaning it has several differences to the Knoke one I wanted to do, I'll build another Hobby Boss 109, this one being a G-6 and having the bits needed!. I was taking them from one to the other but after three or four bits, and realising how quick they can be built, I've gone for making both.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

This is the G-6 version I am building, it is Hobby Boss like the other one I am doing. I have forgotten to add the two bumps just in front of the cockpit before painting!! :roll: :oops: But I will sort that!.
This is the first one I started, it was to be Heniz Knoke's but that has moved to the one above...
The 'mottling' is a first attempt, not brilliant but a start. Knoke's 109 in the picture found for me by DazDaMan has more 'smudges' than mottling. I have also bought this...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is coming together nicely Mark. IMHO WW II Luftwaffe mottling is a pig to do. I've heard modellers say that it is easier with an airbrush. Well, I use an airbrush and still find the effect difficult to achieve especially in a relatively small scale such as this as there is precious little room to work in.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:This is coming together nicely Mark. IMHO WW II Luftwaffe mottling is a pig to do. I've heard modellers say that it is easier with an airbrush. Well, I use an airbrush and still find the effect difficult to achieve especially in a relatively small scale such as this as there is precious little room to work in.
Thanks. Yes, mottling has tended to put me off either German fighters or the colour scheme (I've looked for others that don't seem to have it). You do tend to want to do really big patches for the mottling in 1/72 (or at least I do!!). I have seen the blu tack bits method. Might try that next time, although the covering of a darker colour with a lighter one, often light blue, is sometimes hard. But overall enjoying this GB. Decided I do like the 109 after all but really the later round wing tip versions (F onwards I think). :grin:
iggie

Post by iggie »

I agree regarding mottling; the idea seems straightforward with an airbrush but not so easy as you'd think in 1/72. In fact even at 1/32 it's tricky! (Or it is to me anyway!)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

iggie wrote:I agree regarding mottling; the idea seems straightforward with an airbrush but not so easy as you'd think in 1/72. In fact even at 1/32 it's tricky! (Or it is to me anyway!)
It's largely down to the dark art of getting the paint mix/air pressure ratio correct. Manage that and it's a piece of cake, apparently :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Me/Bf-109 80th Anniv in Service”