Beany's late Revell 1/32 Bf 109G Gustav

A single-type GB celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the Me/Bf-109 entering Luftwaffe service. Any variant based on the 109 airframe, any kit, any scale, etc.
GB runs 25 March to 30 April and your host is Gadfly.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's late Revell 1/32 Bf 109G Gustav

Post by beany »

The reason I say late in the title is that I first bought this kit over 40 years ago having fallen in love with
the box art and saving my paper round money for ages until I could afford it, only to get it home and find
the decals were missing. On returning it, there were no more in stock so I ended up with a different kit
altogether (can't remember what now though).
So, last week at Cosford I saw this second hand one and had to have it again knowing that this GB was in
progress.

Revell give it a generic title of Bf109G "Gustav" but the gun fairing bulges and decals for a JG54 "Grunherz"
suggest this is a G-6 which I shall therefore finish in the marking of the unit commander, Hannes Trautloft
as seen in this graphic:

I checked that the kit was complete before buying it. Some parts are off the runners but otherwise she
looked good to go. I may give the decals a coat of decal film or two, considering their age.

First to go together is the five piece engine with 2 exhaust stubs added, and then the two parts that make
up Hannes himself.
I was always delighted with the engines provided in the Revell 1/32 planes as a child - so much added detail
seemed quite exciting for someone whose staple diet was Airfix 1/72 bagged kits.
You can also see the amount of flash present, and that every part needed seam lines scrapping off - quite time
consuming not to mention messy :shock:

All parts now cut from the runners and cleaning up of seams in progress.

Larger parts being glued together. It was at this point I knocked over a new bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin glue
and had to evacuate the room after cleaning up the spill to avoid being overcome by fumes. My wife was quite
delighted when I suggested we quickly go out for lunch, and fortunately the stink had cleared by the time we
got back!

The gun fairing bulges - notches in the fuselage sides and top panels have to be opened up to accommodate the
locating lugs on these four pieces.

Next step will be painting, using the normal RLM02 and RLM66 equivalent for cockpit and wheel bays etc.
Thoroughly enjoying this build so far.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Beany's late Revell 1/32 Bf 109G Gustav

Post by iggie »

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the new tool equivalent I'm building; you're already ahead on points for having an engine!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Me/Bf-109 80th Anniv in Service”