Sign-up and Chat

A GB for scenes, people, equipment, etc, from a book or comic, be it fact or fiction.
GB runs 22 April through 4 June and your host is PurpleThistle.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by Purplethistle »

iggie wrote:I'll have a crack at the He 70 if no one else fancies it?
Good show! It's all yours Iggie. Welcome aboard!
I'll see if I can find a clearer photo, that one was enlarged from not much more than a thumbnail.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Oh blinking flip! I thought that I had everything I need gathered together for three of my builds but have just discovered that I need a couple of white edged Hinomarus for the undersides of my Black Zeros wings. Normally they wouldn't be visible but to pose it against the background replicating the book cover they would be. Anyone got any spares?
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Purplethistle wrote:Oh blinking flip! I thought that I had everything I need gathered together for three of my builds but have just discovered that I need a couple of white edged Hinomarus for the undersides of my Black Zeros wings. Normally they wouldn't be visible but to pose it against the background replicating the book cover they would be. Anyone got any spares?
I have a couple of sheets of these, assuming I didn't give them all to (Insert name here) in Oz, I'll see what I can provide if you like?.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Purplethistle wrote:
iggie wrote:I'll have a crack at the He 70 if no one else fancies it?
Good show! It's all yours Iggie. Welcome aboard!
I'll see if I can find a clearer photo, that one was enlarged from not much more than a thumbnail.
Excellent; thanks skipper :-D
I'll have to make sure I've still got one in the stash now! :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Purplethistle wrote:Oh blinking flip! I thought that I had everything I need gathered together for three of my builds but have just discovered that I need a couple of white edged Hinomarus for the undersides of my Black Zeros wings. Normally they wouldn't be visible but to pose it against the background replicating the book cover they would be. Anyone got any spares?
I might have some. I'll take a look.
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This group build is spot on with its timing. I've been gathering the kits and bits to build "The Haunted Tank" from GI Combat

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

It's (Insert Name Here) from Oz here. I still have some spares from those that Marky sent me. I can check if there's any white-edged hinomarus amongst them. If there is, I'll happily send them over - they'll have had a nice little holiday down under!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Springy67 wrote:It's (Insert Name Here) from Oz here. I still have some spares from those that Marky sent me. I can check if there's any white-edged hinomarus amongst them. If there is, I'll happily send them over - they'll have had a nice little holiday down under!
Hi insert name!!. Sorry, I couldn't think who I had sent them too and was a little tired and lazy to look!! :oops: :oops: . I've found mine but they only have a ring around them rather than a white border.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm back and checked the stash - I have the 1/72 RS Models Avro Rota C.30. Neither the boxart nor the markings display on the reverse showed the stabilizer with winglets but the kit has them. What I don't have is a 109, in fact don't even know what flavor 109 it might be.

If we are to do a "dio", what scale would I want the 109 to be? The comics always seem to show/imply a close-range encounter, so it seems a 72nd or 48th might be in order when usually forced perspective wants a smaller scale in the background.

Still thinking on this one, the RS kit is a bit dear to use on this when it would fit well with my Silverwings.

jRatz wrote:I'm curious, but not committed - I think I have an AVRO autogiro in the stash but it's not showing on my spreadsheet, I'll have to check when I get home.
Purplethistle wrote:
jRatz wrote:Now that "Tin Grasshopper" is an idea ! Wonder what kind of gunpack was slung underneath ?
I should be able to tell you in a couple of days John.....I've just ordered a copy of the book from EvilBay :-D

If your fancy has been tickled by the cover I can post images from the book to let you see what it looks like. The artwork inside was done by the same artist who did the cover, (not always the case with Commando comics) the excellent Juan Maria Jorge, so the illustrations will be top notch for detail.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Can I just say that the autogyro vs 109 is based on fact.
During the 'phoney' war or Sitzkrieg the RAF in France used Ciervas for weather reporting and on one flight the pilot came under attack from a pair of Rotte - 4 x 109s. They couldn't shoot down the Cierva as the pilot hugged the ground and flew so slowly the 109s kept passing by him, eventually they gave up and pilot returned to base unharmed with only a couple of bullet holes in the Cierva. A few days later Lysanders took over the weather flights.
The Cierva involved is the one restored and preserved at Duxford museum. The 109s were reported as having only mgs so most likely E1s
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Interesting story, probably where the idea for the cover came from.

Regardless, I'm going to have to drop out. In the last 2 days my May calendar has been ravaged. I'm sorry about that but all I'd do is phone in a DNF.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

jRatz wrote:Interesting story, probably where the idea for the cover came from.

Regardless, I'm going to have to drop out. In the last 2 days my May calendar has been ravaged. I'm sorry about that but all I'd do is phone in a DNF.
It can't be helped John, I hope it's nothing major that can't be worked out.

Re the white edged Hinomarus. it seems silly to ask someone to post them from Oz at a postage cost that would be more than the cost of a cheap kit which would include a pilot that I also need. Thanks for the offer anyway.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Just a thought here......For anyone who missed out on the Winkle Brown GB........anything mentioned in 'Wings on my sleeve' or any other of his books would be eligible for this books GB :-D
fredk

Post by fredk »

Purplethistle wrote: ...Re the white edged Hinomarus. it seems silly to ask someone to post them from Oz at a postage cost that would be more than the cost of a cheap kit which would include a pilot that I also need. Thanks for the offer anyway.
I have some H with white surrounds which I can let you have.....but....they are on a master sheet. I'd need to know what sizes you want, cut them off and post em to ye
They range from [real size] 650mm to 1350 [for 1/72]
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

fredk wrote:
Purplethistle wrote: ...Re the white edged Hinomarus. it seems silly to ask someone to post them from Oz at a postage cost that would be more than the cost of a cheap kit which would include a pilot that I also need. Thanks for the offer anyway.
I have some H with white surrounds which I can let you have.....but....they are on a master sheet. I'd need to know what sizes you want, cut them off and post em to ye
They range from [real size] 650mm to 1350 [for 1/72]
Good on ye Fred, it's just two wing decals I need for a Zero I've just measured the supplied ones and they are 15mm.

Return to “One for the Books”