Marky's Stuka Killing Camel!!

A GB for scenes, people, equipment, etc, from a book or comic, be it fact or fiction.
GB runs 22 April through 4 June and your host is PurpleThistle.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Marky's Stuka Killing Camel!!

Post by Purplethistle »

I like the effect! maybe just needs to be a tad smaller for an MG effect, but the look is just like the book cover.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Purplethistle wrote:I like the effect! maybe just needs to be a tad smaller for an MG effect, but the look is just like the book cover.
Thanks PT. That's good advice I think, I can still shorten them so I'll give that a try later. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

I've taken a copy of the book cover and edited out the Camel and Stuka, if you PM me your address I'll print a couple of copies onto card and send them to you for a backdrop.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress made. The Stuka is now wearing it decidedly unofficial and non-standard top scheme. Worked out well actually and done in half an hour or so. Just got to increase the borders to the lighter green on the right wing. U/c legs are on the Camel. Drilled too many holes trying to work out where the wires go so filler time later (or before the rigging goes on!!).

I've also trimmed down the gun damage 'clouds' as suggested by PT.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the camouflage on the Stuka and the machine gun strikes look really good too
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

That Stuka camo looks spot on. I get the feeling that you're enjoying this build because it certainly comes through in the photos. Was the book itself good?
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Love the camouflage on the Stuka and the machine gun strikes look really good too
Thanks Iggie, the camo is now a new favourite although seriously non-standard!!.
Purplethistle wrote:That Stuka camo looks spot on. I get the feeling that you're enjoying this build because it certainly comes through in the photos. Was the book itself good?
PT I am actually enjoying it a lot, especially now I've managed to recreate the Stuka camo nearly 100% (maybe not quite). The book itself is actually really good and a believable story I think. The Germans do say 'Donner and Blitzen' quite a lot (in place of crikey or other exclamations)!!. :grin:
It was actually the cover that caught my attention in the newsagents and made me want to buy it!. I haven't bought or read a Commando book for years until this one.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Getting there and not getting there!!, the Stuka is done and is now test displayed on it's stand in front of the background kindly supplied by Purplethistle....
Looks good if I do say so myself!! :lol: :lol:
The Camel is playing silly bu55ers, it's left uncercarriage 'v' strut has come off for the second time. Normally I would leave something like this for the end, but as I need it to be on to do the rigging it will have to be fixed now. :evil:
Here it is with the Stuka and background in happier 'all struts on' days...
Just have to work on the angles for the machine gun hits, it's the trouble with using 3d stuff to replicate a 2d picture I suppose!. Can't quite match the angles 100% but it's close. The Stuka right wing actually goes behind the title on the book cover, while it's left tail does the same to the story title. Oh well....
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Excellent work on the Stuka....looks just like the cover 8-)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks PT, it may also have something to do with the excellent background someone supplied me with :ha: . I've pushed on today but the Camel is stubbornly refusing to get finished although it's close...
The rigging is done on the u/c legs and the said leg has been re-glued with small metal rods to give it some support. Decals and stripes on the rear fuselage to go. Might be able to get it done today. I've also used the backgrounds (small ones) the PT did for me to cover the stands and try to make them merge into the picture somewhat.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Finished. Not much different to the picture earlier but I have tried to camouflage the stands a little. Overall very pleased with it.

I'll try and set it up a little better than this for the Completions gallery, thanks again go to Purple Thistle for the supply of backgrounds.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Great builds Mark! I love the lettering on the stick too :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “One for the Books”