Marky's Stuka Killing Camel!!

A GB for scenes, people, equipment, etc, from a book or comic, be it fact or fiction.
GB runs 22 April through 4 June and your host is PurpleThistle.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Stuka Killing Camel!!

Post by MarkyM607 »

As with many on this GB I will be attempting to replicate a cover of Commando. Namely this one....
Kits have been around the model room for some time waiting for this one!!.... :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Marky's Stuka Killing Camel!!

Post by Purplethistle »

MarkyM607 wrote:As with many on this GB I will be attempting to replicate a cover of Commando. Namely this one....
Kits have been around the model room for some time waiting for this one!!.... :grin:
Maybe we should rename the GB 'Going Commando'? :shock: :ha:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Work started last night on the Camel. Holes being drilled for the rigging. I know the holes method might not be the best but at least I'm rigging it!!. The Stuka is waiting for the Victor to move out of it's build space. Interestingly (at least for me!!), this will be the third Stuka I've ever built!!. :grin:
The aircraft poking in at the top of the pics is my Camel 2F1 RNAS, it's the Revell kit, mostly rigged.

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Good stuff, interesting cover. I would like to read this story...
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just to prove I haven't forgotten about this one!. The Camel and the Stuka are both underway. Had to modify the prop blur someone nice sent me to fit around the Stuka spinner. Thought it would be better than having it on a mount with the prop stationary. Better do the Camel one too, although that may be hand made from clear plastic sheet as I have no two blade blurs, or one's that small.
Bit of Camel work, things being painted as I think it would be easier than trying to do it once the model is built. Holes all drilled for the rigging, INCLLUDING in the cabane struts!!!!!! :shock:

The Stuka I forgot to take pics of but it's only the cockpit area done so far. I realise that the grey is probably not accurate for a Camel, or the period but I'm replicating the book cover. The Stuka has a strange paint scheme which will be fun to attempt!!.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

It probably wasn't in the illustrators mind, but a lot of Belgian WWI a/c had silver undersides, so someone in Belgium looking for a/c paint would probably be able to source that easier than RFC/RAF paint.
.....or am I overthinking things? :-D
The cover looks like grey anyway, so I would probably end up going with that if it was me.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Purplethistle wrote:It probably wasn't in the illustrators mind, but a lot of Belgian WWI a/c had silver undersides, so someone in Belgium looking for a/c paint would probably be able to source that easier than RFC/RAF paint.
.....or am I overthinking things? :-D
The cover looks like grey anyway, so I would probably end up going with that if it was me.
Thanks PT, that's something I didn't know. Will keep it in mind. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

More work on the Camel, wing rigging done, might paint it but it looks nice as it is now. Maybe not accurate but otherwise nice. Still have to work on the tail wires. Have also just realised that I have made no provision for mounting the model so that is next as well as the tail.

Work on the Stuka is also progressing now. The prop blur is on the spinner, not neat but I'm going with it for now. Red is also probably not accurate but it matches the book cover. Hans and Kurt are in place, just a bit of colour needed!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nicely done on the rigging!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nicely rigged Camel. Prop blur looks good also.

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps. Do you think I should try painting the rigging?, it's not a material I've tried painting before so a test might be in order if I do. I've also prepared the tail surfaces for more rigging, not sure whether to attempt the wheel rigging!!!. :grin:
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

MarkyM607 wrote:Thanks chaps. Do you think I should try painting the rigging?, it's not a material I've tried painting before so a test might be in order if I do. I've also prepared the tail surfaces for more rigging, not sure whether to attempt the wheel rigging!!!. :grin:
Rigging looks fine as it is to me, Mark. Adding paint will make it look thicker, plus you run the risk of a slip of the brush and getting paint on the model (at least, that's what would happen if I tried it). It's looking really good.
fredk

Post by fredk »

The Camel is looking good
Rigging looks fine.
The u/c rigging is simple; just three lines.
Harder is the tail-plane rigging

Red Stuka spinner; if its like the book cover its dead-on too.
[if the spinner was red the 3rd letter of the Stuka code would be red too - like a 'flight' colour eg T6 + NR]

My thought on the underneath colour of the Camel; in b&w photos the clear doped linen comes out a light grey and I think that is what the illustrator saw and used for his/her colour picture. He'd have been used to seeing RAF jets with light aircraft grey underneath too.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks migrant, painting anything with rigging in the way is asking for slips I agree.

Fred: thanks for that info. If I go by the cover there are no codes to do, only crosses. It does show a swastika though!!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress so far. Still need to tidy up the holes used to do the rigging. One of the drawbacks with this method!.
And the under pressure Stuka!!. Not sure if the wispy cotton stuff looks right for bullets hitting the wing but as I've mentioned I'm trying to replicate the book cover. Let me know what you think.
Hans and Kurt in place. Prop in place although until I put the engine top cover on it can be removed for painting purposes. Hopefully you can see Hans in the front seat looking up and left. This is the direction the Camel will be attacking from. All it took was twisting his arm (well head actually!! :lol: ), and repositioning it once is came off!( :oops: ). Kurt doesn't seem bothered!.

Return to “One for the Books”