Bent out of shape DNF

A GB for scenes, people, equipment, etc, from a book or comic, be it fact or fiction.
GB runs 22 April through 4 June and your host is PurpleThistle.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Bent out of shape DNF

Post by Purplethistle »

Another Commando cover using the Airfix Bentley (somewhat modified) Ignore the impracticalities of fighting in the desert in a wire wheeled, Racing Green gas guzzler.....it's a Commando story :-D

"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Bent out of shape

Post by fredk »

Purplethistle wrote:Another Commando cover using the Airfix Bentley (somewhat modified) Ignore the impracticalities of fighting in the desert in a wire wheeled, Racing Green gas guzzler.....it's a Commando story :-D
But thats just what the Rolls Royce armoured car was, and the Model T scout car afore that, a few others too
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

fredk wrote:
Purplethistle wrote:Another Commando cover using the Airfix Bentley (somewhat modified) Ignore the impracticalities of fighting in the desert in a wire wheeled, Racing Green gas guzzler.....it's a Commando story :-D
But thats just what the Rolls Royce armoured car was, and the Model T scout car afore that, a few others too
Yup, golden age of armoured cars..
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

jRatz wrote:
fredk wrote:
Yup, golden age of armoured cars..
Absolutely agree with the Golden Age sentiment! It's just that I read recently that the Western Desert was a much harsher environment than the likes of Palestine, so much so that even the SdKfz222 struggled. Added to that, the book cover one is still in highly visible (in the desert) BRG and for a thirsty beast is not carrying many spare fuel cans!....actually, that's probably why it's an irresistible subject for me! :-D
I've ordered a copy of the book so I should find out if it was given the necessary mods by the end of next week.
Btw, in the meantime can either of you identify what model of Bentley it is? it looks pretty close to the 4.5L Blower but I know I'm going to have a bit of work, including altering the area in front of the grille and adding running boards.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

There is no blower on the front and the bonnet looks shorter; I suggest its closer to a Blue Label 3 litre
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Cheers Fred, I looked it up and it does look like a Blue Label.
Well, the book arrived yesterday and was not a lot of help as regards details of the car type. The artwork inside is not even as good as the cover and the story 'Bentley' itself has a lot of differences from the cover one. (and the Bentley is totalled by page 23)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That's the only downside with that range of books, often the cover has very little to do with the content. :frown:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Purplethistle

Re: Bent out of shape DNF

Post by Purplethistle »

When this GB went on the calendar there was only one election on the horizon but with the snap General Election happening I have only had 4 days off in the last 2 months and 2 of those were spent up at Fort William for a wedding ( I do pretty much ALL the printing for the Glasgow area for elections )
There is quite a bit of conversion involved in this one that includes several stages of leaving Milliput overnight to harden. It's a scunner to put up a DNF on my own GB when everyone else seems to be managing, but this one turned out to be a lot more complex than I first thought.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Bent out of shape DNF

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Is OK, life happens - just watching your mind work is a treat in itself !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “One for the Books”