Jumping Jack Flash **FINISHED**

A GB for scenes, people, equipment, etc, from a book or comic, be it fact or fiction.
GB runs 22 April through 4 June and your host is PurpleThistle.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Jumping Jack Flash **FINISHED**

Post by Purplethistle »

Off to my LMS today to pick up the ICM 1/16 Carabineer for conversion to Sir Harry Paget Flashman V.C.
(Photo of book cover to follow)

Note to self - whilst at the LMS, resist the urge to buy a 1/48 Zero and a 1/72 Macchi 205 for more Commando covers...must resist, resist!

"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Re: Jumping Jack Flash

Post by Purplethistle »

The book cover

The kit

The kit stance is too rigid, so one leg gets the knee section removed to realign it as slightly bent at the knee. The bent left arm is cut in order to straighten it and the right shoulder is trimmed in order to be reset at a different angle.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Off we go !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Any plans to model the admirer attached to his lower limbs?

Nigel
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

I look forward to seeing this one, I read that book many moons ago. Thanks for sharing.
George B.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

My will to resist was not required, my LMS did not have the Tamiya Zero or a Macchi 205 :sad:
....but I am ordering a Tamiya Zero :-D The layout of the Tiger in the sun cover is practically identical to the Black Zero one and the 1/48 kit is unlikely to get to me in time for inclusion in this GB, but I've got the bit between my teeth now and so many other Commando book covers that I want to recreate that I'll revisit this theme after the current GB.
Clashcityrocker wrote:Any plans to model the admirer attached to his lower limbs?

Nigel
Well, the cover that I had initially planned to use had Flashy on his own, but upon researching uniform details I discovered that the image was one of several covers that had the artwork reversed in the reprints. This seems to be the best quality image that is the right way round. I hadn't actually planned on doing his companion, d'ye reckon I should try it?
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

The head was one of those hollow ones that stop where the hat starts, (that could describe so many people that I know!) so I filled the head with chewing gum, which can be shaped and reshaped until satisfied and then put in a freezer to set the shape solid. Over the top of the hardened gum, I used Milliput to form a forehead and hairstyle.

To capture Flashman properly will be mostly about getting the face right, otherwise it will be 'just a guy in uniform'
so I cut the kit heads left eyebrow to look more raised than the right and filled in the left side of the mouth with putty and rescribed it to form more of a smirk/leer........'Smeer'?

Next, some whiskers.

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

So good! And another 'yes' vote for adding Flashgun's um, 'admirer'.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:So good! And another 'yes' vote for adding Flashgun's um, 'admirer'.
Sigh!....So you want me to have to look at a lot of photos of semi naked ladies in order to research anatomical detail? Oh well! If it's what people want, I suppose I must. :roll:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Purplethistle wrote:Sigh!....So you want me to have to look at a lot of photos of semi naked ladies in order to research anatomical detail? Oh well! If it's what people want, I suppose I must. :roll:
It's not as bad as you think; judging by the cover, you can limit yourself to subjects expertly edited by illustrators and/or converted by plastic surgeons. The work of such craftsmen is always a joy te behold, especially if one is in a similar business :-D

Also, I look forward to seeing what unsuspecting kit you're going to bash into that shape; should be a fairly epic conversion.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

rob_van_riel wrote:
Purplethistle wrote:Sigh!....So you want me to have to look at a lot of photos of semi naked ladies in order to research anatomical detail? Oh well! If it's what people want, I suppose I must. :roll:
It's not as bad as you think; judging by the cover, you can limit yourself to subjects expertly edited by illustrators and/or converted by plastic surgeons. The work of such craftsmen is always a joy te behold, especially if one is in a similar business :-D

Also, I look forward to seeing what unsuspecting kit you're going to bash into that shape; should be a fairly epic conversion.
I've seen only one existing figure remotely like the pose, but that isn't 1/16 :roll:
Looks like I'll have to scratch a figure!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Purplethistle wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:

I've seen only one existing figure remotely like the pose, but that isn't 1/16 :roll:
Looks like I'll have to scratch a figure!
Just saw her in another thread. A fine piece of work.

Nigel
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Clashcityrocker wrote:
Purplethistle wrote:Looks like I'll have to scratch a figure!
Just saw her in another thread. A fine piece of work.
That's one impressive anklestrangler. Who needs kits if you can work milliput like that...
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Cheers guys,

As it was a daunting prospect to scratch a figure with so much bare flesh and muscle tone on show, I had planned to make a sprue and wire skeleton and build it up gradually with Milliput like they do in forensic facial recreations. As I was using some Milliput for something non-modelling related and had a sizeable lump left over, I decided to practice sculpting the bare areas to hone my skills before the main event. After about an hour I had something that I thought, 'Here! this is actually not bad!' so I just continued with it. She was the right basic shape apart from the forearms, top of head and hair that I added later. The left arm is going to be wrapped around Flashys leg so I'll add that separately, the join being not so much of an issue due to the veil thing on her arm.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Incredible effort, man. From scratch, you say? Great work!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “One for the Books”