KB's Clunker to Comic: ***The towel has been thrown in***

Says it all - one of the best known aircraft of the Great War, not to mention the favored mount of Snoopy! Any kit, any scale, any markings.
GB runs 1 -30 June and your host is VickersVandal.
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Re: Doomed to failure: KB's Clunker to Comic

Post by Kevan Bailey »

The wise man always knows when to call it a day.

I've been agonising over this one for the past four days, and I now recognise the fact that I'm not going to get it finished, in spite of a fourteen hour stretch on it yesterday. Here's where I've got to, sorry, no photographs of the in-between stages:

As you can see, it's not that far off. There's paint to be finished, rigging to be done - the turnbuckles are all in place - but I've still to scratchbuild the gun mounts and I just can't face that, not at the moment. So it's going to join the queue.

I knew right from the outset that June wasn't going to be a good month for bench-time, but I hadn't really planned on taking almost a week out for the Alamo project I got involved in at the last minute.

I'd never intended making the Smer dinosaur the subject of this build, but in the end, it wasn't all that bad. A bit retro, you might say, but in spite of all its almost 60 year old failings it built up ok. There's loads more you could do with it if you've got the time and patience, but I suppose you have to ask yourself, 'Why'?

Sorry about being a poor participant in this GB; not only have I not paid a lot of attention to my own contribution, I've also barely looked at what everyone else has been doing. Apologies for that.
Kevan Bailey
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: KB's Clunker to Comic: ***The towel has been thrown in**

Post by iggie »

That's a great shame Kevan, that is looking very tasty indeed, especially the prop graining! There is an extension being mooted so all not lost?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

Hello KB, that's looking great! The group build has now been extended because so many of us are struggling with the timing. You've now got til the 16th. Reckon you can do it? :)
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Don't think so, VV. We're leaving for Greece in the morning, but I'll see if I can get it packed up for transport......
Kevan Bailey

Return to “Got the Hump! Sopwith Camel Centenary.”