A sudden Sopwith

Says it all - one of the best known aircraft of the Great War, not to mention the favored mount of Snoopy! Any kit, any scale, any markings.
GB runs 1 -30 June and your host is VickersVandal.
SouthEast Aviation99
Getting well comfy!

A sudden Sopwith

Post by SouthEast Aviation99 »

A new arrival:

In my return to group building on this forum, I have decided to share with you all, the construction of a new arrival at the South East Aviation Museum.
This container arrived today from New Zealand, containing the components for a brand new replica Sopwith 2F1 'ships' Camel:

The contents was quickly unpacked, revealing the fuselage, wings, struts, wheels, prop, and, excitingly, an exact replica of a Le Rhone rotary engine:

The paint scheme of the finished aircraft will be decided in due course, with any suggestions welcomed.

That's all for this opening act, stay tuned chaps :)
Forever Thinking outside the box
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A sudden Sopwith

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Same build as me :grin: Nice gift of the metal engine. Check the box you appear to be missing your tailplanes :???:

Nigel
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

How could you possibly wish to replace the highly detailed rotary engine provided by Airfix??!! I mean, it's a work of art that thing.... :P

I suspect you may need to do some surgery on the cowling to fit that metal engine. From memory it's fairly thick walled.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
SouthEast Aviation99
Getting well comfy!

Clashcityrocker wrote:Same build as me :grin: Nice gift of the metal engine. Check the box you appear to be missing your tailplanes :???:

Nigel
I suddenly realised about the tailplane as I was posting, luckily it was hidding in the 'shipping container' :lol:
SouthEast Aviation99
Getting well comfy!

VickersVandal wrote:How could you possibly wish to replace the highly detailed rotary engine provided by Airfix??!! I mean, it's a work of art that thing.... :P

I suspect you may need to do some surgery on the cowling to fit that metal engine. From memory it's fairly thick walled.
It doesn't look too bad actually, just need to cut out the frontage, it seems a bit smaller than the cowling, but it'll certainly need work.
SouthEast Aviation99
Getting well comfy!

And so it begins:

One of the first tasks that faced the volunteers was assembling the cockpit, with controls, seat and control panel.
The control panel (scratch-built from card) was hand made with its wood grain effect and primitive dials:

The side structure of the camel was carved and joined, here is the port side before tidying up:

Next, the fuselage was finished up, the rudder and recently uncovered tailpane being attached and connected to the controls through the fuselage.
The final touch for today was the trial fitment of the vickers gun above the cowling, on this 2F1 only one was used, along with a Lewis gun that will be mounted on the top wing:

That's all for today, but do keep looking in for further news, thanks all :)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Off to a great start. I know how how small that instrument panel must be. :shock:

Nigel
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I do like a good bit of scratch building :D

iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work so far......I hope someone is looking after the volunteers doing the restoration!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I reckon you'll need to shift that vickers back a fair whack. Pretty sure it will be in the way of the prop if it's out that far.

Return to “Got the Hump! Sopwith Camel Centenary.”