Mr Marky goes to Washington***Finished***

Aircraft designed to a primary mission/function as a bomber - any kit, scale, etc ... No whiff's, but prototype and experimental are allowed.
GB runs 17 June - 30 July and your host is iggie.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mr Marky goes to Washington

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Good progress, Mark. It's reassuring to see substantial looking spars to help support those long B-29 wings as well. I don't know if this applies to the B-29 kit, but Academy made a mess of the wing attachment on at least some of their B-17 kits which, if left uncorrected (and it involves a fair bit of work with shims and what have you), looks utterly pants as the wings end up with with a ridiculous amount of dihedral. Might be worth looking out for when you attach the wings here just make sure Academy hasn't repeated itself.
Thanks Shaun, I'll see what they're like tomorrow. The two halves of the wings did have a banana effect. They could touch at each end but there was a gap high enough to get a built Spitfire wing into!!. They glued together okay though. I did look myself once I saw the length of the wings, I was wondering if the spars are enough!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I have been working despite the time since the last post here. The kit is really god I think and I am enjoying it so far. I do seem to be suffering from bits falling off models after gluing and painting, the rear seat, ladder and control panel came off but luckily all went back. The first two just went back through the turret opening with tweezers!!.
MarkyM607 wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Good progress, Mark. It's reassuring to see substantial looking spars to help support those long B-29 wings as well. I don't know if this applies to the B-29 kit, but Academy made a mess of the wing attachment on at least some of their B-17 kits which, if left uncorrected (and it involves a fair bit of work with shims and what have you), looks utterly pants as the wings end up with with a ridiculous amount of dihedral. Might be worth looking out for when you attach the wings here just make sure Academy hasn't repeated itself.
Thanks Shaun, I'll see what they're like tomorrow. The two halves of the wings did have a banana effect. They could touch at each end but there was a gap high enough to get a built Spitfire wing into!!. They glued together okay though. I did look myself once I saw the length of the wings, I was wondering if the spars are enough!!. :grin:
The wings seem to be okay once dry fitted, they slant upwards but looking at pictures it seems right. There is still a heck of a lot of wing past the spars but the engines are the only weight they have and this will be wheels down so hopefully no probs.

iggie

Post by iggie »

That's going to take up a serious amount of shelf/ceiling space Mark..... :grin: Have you decided on a display site yet?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good progress, Mark. I think there should be some dihedral on the wings as you state, just keep an eye on photos to make sure that Academy haven't gone overboard! The B-29 is quite a size in 1/72nd but is a magnificent bomber IMHO and if you've got the space the aircraft is well worth including in a WWII bomber collection. If I get round to building one again though it will have to be in 1/144th!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:That's going to take up a serious amount of shelf/ceiling space Mark..... :grin: Have you decided on a display site yet?
It's not too bad in this scale, although I was going to build it wheels up although I've now put the tail skid (or is it the tail gunners entrance!?!) down. It could still be hung from the ceiling though....
(I don't know if I've got space for this and the Airfix example I bought).... :shock:
((Mind you, after building two B-36's this is easy!! :lol: :lol: ))
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Save any leftover bits from the Academy build, Mark as they might come in handy to enhance the Airfix kit - for example to make a half decent Enola Gay or Bockscar A-Bomb carrier. You will probably find the Airfix kit a bit crude compared to the modern Academy effort but that doesn't mean it can't be built into a decent looking B-29 and therein lies the challenge and a lot of the building pleasure as far as I'm concerned.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Save any leftover bits from the Academy build, Mark as they might come in handy to enhance the Airfix kit - for example to make a half decent Enola Gay or Bockscar A-Bomb carrier. You will probably find the Airfix kit a bit crude compared to the modern Academy effort but that doesn't mean it can't be built into a decent looking B-29 and therein lies the challenge and a lot of the building pleasure as far as I'm concerned.
Good points. I really bought for nostalgia/historical reasons as mentioned in other areas. I know it's far from the best but it was one I never got to build when I was younger. :grin:
On a side note connected to your saving bits suggestion, I've found that there is a Flying Boom for a KB-29 refuelling version, there is even a second, slightly different nose window. The clear parts have B-50/KB-29 (I think) on them so the kit may have been used a fair bit for all versions at some point.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not much to report, I am trying that black areas under silver trick although the last time I tried it I couldn't see any difference!!. I've also added the engines to the wings and the gun turrets (barbettes I think they were called). Might paint the wings and fuselage separately. :grin:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Don't forget adding as much weight as you can fit in the engine nacelles. I had to do that to my B-29, B-50A, and YC-97 to keep them from being tail sitters.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:Don't forget adding as much weight as you can fit in the engine nacelles. I had to do that to my B-29, B-50A, and YC-97 to keep them from being tail sitters.
Ummmm..... :oops:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I haven't put any weight in at all as it was intended to be wheels up, but then I put the tail skid or entrance door I haven't found out yet, down so wheels down it is!!. The bomb-bay is still open so there is hope!!.
Engines attached, black areas painted and turrets attached. How long will the gun barrels last??.... ;-)
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:I haven't put any weight in at all as it was intended to be wheels up, but then I put the tail skid or entrance door I haven't found out yet, down so wheels down it is!!. The bomb-bay is still open so there is hope!!.
Engines attached, black areas painted and turrets attached. How long will the gun barrels last??.... ;-)
If you build it with a closed bomb-bay, you should be able to get it to sit on it's nose gear by filling the forward bomb bay with lead shot. Otherwise, it WILL be a tail sitter. ;-)
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That sounds like the voice of experience!

Good work so far Mark; it certainly is a big lump and that tail plane is mahooosive :shock: :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps. Not getting along quickly with this really, mainly because I am enjoying a nice build!!. There aren't any crew provided so I suppose I should build it wheels down, I have always felt odd about building something wheels up if there isn't any crew. Odd I know but it's how it is!! :lol: :lol:
Chuck- bomb bay filling to be started asap!!. I was going to paint the wings separate from the body but that will mean leaving the weight filling to the end. No biggie I suppose. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress so far. Not that far from finishing. The undercarriage is the sticking point at present as it is not clear on the instructions where bits go. I think one part is actually the bay doors actuator arms(!), rather than the u/c. I'm going to give it another look later but here is the paint job so far. Tried painting panels in Humbrol 11 and 191 to break up the single colour effect, although the Plastic-Kote spray seems to result in some variation anyway (I know it's probably me!!). Not the tidiest of jobs so a little clean up may be needed. I assumed by the time the RAF got them they would have been fairly well used(?)....

Total Gun Barrels on model (not inc unfitted tail guns)= 10
Currently broken off and in need of replacing= 3.

Return to “Bombing Aircraft”