Mr Marky goes to Washington***Finished***

Aircraft designed to a primary mission/function as a bomber - any kit, scale, etc ... No whiff's, but prototype and experimental are allowed.
GB runs 17 June - 30 July and your host is iggie.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Mr Marky goes to Washington***Finished***

Post by MarkyM607 »

I know that's a poor paraphrase and I don't know much about the real title film/book but it seemed funny when I thought of it!!. :lol: I've gone for the Academy B-29 Superfortress which I am intending to do in RAF colours as a Washington. I've made a start on the cockpit which has a lot in it in such a small space. Pics to follow!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Re: Mr Marky goes to Washington

Post by iggie »

This'll be great!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:This'll be great!
That's jinxed it!!! :lol: :lol:
Progress so far... (Victim pic first..)
Cockpit 'area'..
Rear crew compartment....
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Cockpit 'area'..

FYI: Do not bather painting the rest area behind the gunner's compartment. There are no windows and the bulkhead doors are closed. I left the bunks and the rear bulkhead off my B-50 build and nobody will ever know. Leaving off the aft bulkhead and bunks will have no noticeable effect except for less weight in the tail. It took me two build (B-29 and B-50D) to realize that nobody will ever see the nicely detailed rest area. It's sorta like the toilet paper roll in the Esci KC-135. It will never be seen once the kit is built.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Chuck Finley wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:
Cockpit 'area'..

FYI: Do not bather painting the rest area behind the gunner's compartment. There are no windows and the bulkhead doors are closed. I left the bunks and the rear bulkhead off my B-50 build and nobody will ever know. Leaving off the aft bulkhead and bunks will have no noticeable effect except for less weight in the tail. It took me two build (B-29 and B-50D) to realize that nobody will ever see the nicely detailed rest area. It's sorta like the toilet paper roll in the Esci KC-135. It will never be seen once the kit is built.
Thanks Chuck, I have sort of come to that conclusion although my effort was deciding it wasn't worth painting it!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, Mark. The B-29 was the best looking bomber of the war IMHO. This is a good looking kit and certainly light years better than the old Airfix effort. The bunks and bog are all very well but ultimately are a bit pointless as they can't be seen (handy in the real thing though!). Does the kit provide the fuselage side blister windows, which were deleted from Enola Gay and Bockscar as modified atomic bomb carriers under the "Silverplate" programme, as I think you might need them for a Washington?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Nice one, Mark. The B-29 was the best looking bomber of the war IMHO. This is a good looking kit and certainly light years better than the old Airfix effort. The bunks and bog are all very well but ultimately are a bit pointless as they can't be seen (handy in the real thing though!). Does the kit provide the fuselage side blister windows, which were deleted from Enola Gay and Bockscar as modified atomic bomb carriers under the "Silverplate" programme, as I think you might need them for a Washington?
I'll have another look, they do provide the gun barbettes (I think they were called) so hopefully all is there. Otherwise some bodging will be required!. Despite the old Airfix effort not being the best I've always wanted one simply because I never got around to it when I was starting out. It was one of those kits that were big and something 'older' people seemed to do so to have one was cool!! :grin:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice start so far Mark; hopefully the kit will have all you need for the Washington!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Nice one, Mark. The B-29 was the best looking bomber of the war IMHO. This is a good looking kit and certainly light years better than the old Airfix effort. The bunks and bog are all very well but ultimately are a bit pointless as they can't be seen (handy in the real thing though!). Does the kit provide the fuselage side blister windows, which were deleted from Enola Gay and Bockscar as modified atomic bomb carriers under the "Silverplate" programme, as I think you might need them for a Washington?
I'll have another look, they do provide the gun barbettes (I think they were called) so hopefully all is there. Otherwise some bodging will be required!. Despite the old Airfix effort not being the best I've always wanted one simply because I never got around to it when I was starting out. It was one of those kits that were big and something 'older' people seemed to do so to have one was cool!! :grin:
iggie wrote:Nice start so far Mark; hopefully the kit will have all you need for the Washington!
Update: there are glass domes and opening or at least spaces for them on the fuselage so I think I'm good. Thanks Iggie, going well so far and enjoying it. Might get the fuselage together by the end of the year!!!!! :lol:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds like you are good to go then, Mark. End of the year?!?!? you didn't say you were doing a blitzbau! I could comfortably take until next Easter to finish a large build like a Superfort :ha:

IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Sounds like you are good to go then, Mark. End of the year?!?!? you didn't say you were doing a blitzbau! I could comfortably take until next Easter to finish a large build like a Superfort :ha:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(I'll slow down a bit then!!) :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Right, although the instructions don't tell you to add or even build the turrets- not needed as pointed out- but they are in the kit so I'll add them later. Had a fight with the crew sections and fuselage trying to get the nose wheel bay lined up with the opening. Some compromise was reached, the difference is about half a millimetre.
Not the best pics as I had to use the flash!!.

Fuselage together so blitz still on Shaun!!! :lol: :lol:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:Right, although the instructions don't tell you to add or even build the turrets- not needed as pointed out- but they are in the kit so I'll add them later. Had a fight with the crew sections and fuselage trying to get the nose wheel bay lined up with the opening. Some compromise was reached, the difference is about half a millimetre.
Not the best pics as I had to use the flash!!.

Fuselage together so blitz still on Shaun!!! :lol: :lol:

FYI: The kit represents a "Silver Plated" B-29 that was stripped of it's turrets and the gunner's observation bubbles to enable it to carry a atomic bomb. For the Washington, you need to add the turrets and blisters. Fortunately, they were left in the kit.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice progress Mark!
And certainly better than mine! I've still not decided what to build!
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good progress, Mark. It's reassuring to see substantial looking spars to help support those long B-29 wings as well. I don't know if this applies to the B-29 kit, but Academy made a mess of the wing attachment on at least some of their B-17 kits which, if left uncorrected (and it involves a fair bit of work with shims and what have you), looks utterly pants as the wings end up with with a ridiculous amount of dihedral. Might be worth looking out for when you attach the wings here just make sure Academy hasn't repeated itself.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Bombing Aircraft”