Mr Marky goes to Washington***Finished***

Aircraft designed to a primary mission/function as a bomber - any kit, scale, etc ... No whiff's, but prototype and experimental are allowed.
GB runs 17 June - 30 July and your host is iggie.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mr Marky goes to Washington

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work with the paint variation. Nice looking aeroplane the B-29.

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice work with the paint variation. Nice looking aeroplane the B-29.

Nigel
Thanks Clash, it does need tidying up but it seems to have successfully broken up the single colour. I've never build a B-29 but this was worth the wait. Got the old Airfix one to do!!. It is a nice aeroplane, shows a bit of a leap forward in technology and the like. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Decals are going on, thought they would be easier to do before adding the wings. As I am not using the kit decals I needed to combine the spares box and home made decals using waterslide decal paper (I get mine from Crafty Computer Paper, not connected to me just what I use and worth a go IMHO). Unfortunately my delight at how well they came out was trashed when I went to put the first number under the wing and realised I had used white background paper rather than clear :evil: , so a re-do is in order.... Progress so far with spares box decals.

The tail markings are intended to be temporary (although I'll probably be too lazy to come back and change them), as they are a little too big. The WF512 should be higher up and the fin flash should be farther back but it looks passable (I hope!!).
I've noticed this before but the silver paint seems to react when varnish is put on and smears, I think you can just see it on the number 5 on the tail. Might have to spray varnish on silver.
My home made decals.... (I had the WF512 which I photocopied enough to make a sheet with sufficient decals to do three WF512's).
iggie

Post by iggie »

Coming along nicely Mark. I can sympathise regarding the white decal paper....guess how!! :roll:

What varnish are you using when brushing? I've not had a problem with brushing either Xtracrylix varnishes, or Winsor & Newton over silvers from various manufacturer's (all acrylic). The only time I did have a problem was rattle can Humbrol gloss varnish, which trashed a whole Bae Hawk :evil:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Coming along nicely Mark. I can sympathise regarding the white decal paper....guess how!! :roll:

What varnish are you using when brushing? I've not had a problem with brushing either Xtracrylix varnishes, or Winsor & Newton over silvers from various manufacturer's (all acrylic). The only time I did have a problem was rattle can Humbrol gloss varnish, which trashed a whole Bae Hawk :evil:
I won't ask, just sit in silent sympathy!!. :lol:
I'm actually probably being cheap and using what I have which is Humbrol Gloss 35. Seems to have improved (along with the Matt 49), but seems dirty when brushing on decals like this. Actually it's probably my brush that is dirty!! :lol: I might try the Xtracrylix if you think they are worth having a go. Don't often print my own decals lately but still have enough paper for a while yet.
iggie

Post by iggie »

MarkyM607 wrote:
iggie wrote:Coming along nicely Mark. I can sympathise regarding the white decal paper....guess how!! :roll:

I won't ask, just sit in silent sympathy!!. :lol:
I'm actually probably being cheap and using what I have which is Humbrol Gloss 35. Seems to have improved (along with the Matt 49), but seems dirty when brushing on decals like this. Actually it's probably my brush that is dirty!! :lol: I might try the Xtracrylix if you think they are worth having a go. Don't often print my own decals lately but still have enough paper for a while yet.
Varnish-wise I tend to use the Xtracrylix gloss pre decals, and then use the Winsor & Newton to finish, in gloss, matt or satin to suit the subject. The Matt especially is excellent and seems to suck any shine out of the model as it dries!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I'll try that although only one place here does any Windsor and Newton and it's a bit pricey but perhaps you get what you pay for and all that. I've used Matt 49 on the wing decals and it seemed okay, I did pre-decal the wings with Gloss 35 so it may have sealed the silver paint. That's my expert (!?) theory anyway!!. Here are the wing decals and the mass of weight I've put in the forward bomb-bay. Turns out it needed 70 grams to get it to sit on it's nose wheel, I put in another 10 grams just to be sure....
(If only Chuck Finley hard warned me earlier..... :ha: :ha: )
If you build it with a closed bomb-bay, you should be able to get it to sit on it's nose gear by filling the forward bomb bay with lead shot. Otherwise, it WILL be a tail sitter. ;-)
Chuck Finley wrote:Don't forget adding as much weight as you can fit in the engine nacelles. I had to do that to my B-29, B-50A, and YC-97 to keep them from being tail sitters.
Undercarriage worked out and installed....
Nose wheel and the mass of weight added. Hopefully it will still be enough when the wheels are added and they don't change the angle of the plane too much!!
iggie wrote:Good work so far Mark; it certainly is a big lump and that tail plane is mahooosive :shock: :-D
I think I read that the tail of the B-50 was even bigger!!. :shock:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Just been catching up with this build as I've been on me hols and it is really coming together well, Mark. Kudos to you for having a go at your own decals, as of yet that is something I've never tried. I like the multi-tone of the NMF too. Great stuff.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

The GB has been extended to Sunday 6th August Mark; I hope this will allow for your finishing touches to this awesome build!
Best wishes

Jim
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Just been catching up with this build as I've been on me hols and it is really coming together well, Mark. Kudos to you for having a go at your own decals, as of yet that is something I've never tried. I like the multi-tone of the NMF too. Great stuff.
Thanks Shaun, the decals are pretty basic efforts but do allow codes and the like to be changed in a build. I usually stick to letters and roundels, although my printer is low level clever so roundels can show a slightly blocky edge!. Doesn't take much painting over if you can match the colour.
iggie wrote:The GB has been extended to Sunday 6th August Mark; I hope this will allow for your finishing touches to this awesome build!
That's good. Haven't got to checking the GB section yet, only the Bomb bay doors to paint actually. Not overly happy with the tops of the wings but it will have to do for now. War weary perhaps!? :lol: Those Yanks will sell anything!! :ha: (I know the B-29's were 'borrowed').
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

She's done but I will be busy work wise until Thursday so pics will be done then. Apart from the paint/varnish problem this has been enjoyable. I should mention in regard to the paint problem that it is plastic kote from a spray can, not sure if that is a factor.
gnomemeansgnome

Re: Mr Marky goes to Washington***Finished***

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Really great work so far Marky, wow! Stoked to see the finished product. Might have to build its own hangar now.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Really great work so far Marky, wow! Stoked to see the finished product. Might have to build its own hangar now.
Thanks, it's something of a looks better in pictures than close up but it hasn't turned out too bad after all. I did have to leave it on the build space table because I had no shelf space that would house it until it was hung up from the ceiling!!!. :lol: AND, all four props go round!, I know some people aren't bothered by this sort of thing but I've always liked them to at least move. I thought I'd glued three of the four to a stop, but the other three took to ome turning and are good now. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Okay, here goes. Due to the size/width etc. of a B-29, my pics are a little 'distant' but it just makes the plane look better!!!!. :lol:

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice! What a behemoth!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “Bombing Aircraft”