Michael's First Blitzbau 1:72 Vought F4U-1D Corsair Airfix

UAMF's signature event, Fun for All !!
Runs 1-31 August, with a couple extra days for the Admin goof.
Your host is, again, Jssel.
Michael modeller 48

Re: 1:72 Vought F4U-1D Corsair Airfix

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Jeff, I found the maker of Airfix's decals to be quite good.
The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by The Great Auk »

Just catching up on this now, Michael and right away I'm beyond impressed with how you had all those parts sorted. You're far more well organized than I could ever hope to be.

You've made amazing progress and I'd say you have that U.S. Navy blue scheme down pat.

Looking forward to your next update,

The Great Auk

P.S. Maybe that decal maker is Cartograph? That's the only one that comes to mind whose name begins with 'C'.
Michael modeller 48

I decide to pledge the canopy before painting it ....think Migrant said 4 hours to dry

Three small pieces left to install besides the landing gear
Michael modeller 48

Hi The Great Auk,

Not really just two small spruce with not many parts to keep organized. I used the "dish method" of keeping them sorted!

Thank so much that means alot to me.... as i am just getting back in to the hobby...at first i thought i put the blue 15 humbrol down too thick....wanted to do

two thinner coats at first (we see how it looks in 12 hours)

Yes that is it Cartography...very good decals!!! Best decals i have used!!!

As a kid i manly build Revell with testor paints

Not much more to see.... just pledge canopy...planning on touch up paint the pilot as good as i can....

Also i used blu tac on a toothpick and clips to hold the prop (need to repair it) the landing gear/wheels and used blue tac to hold the seat/pilot while

painting/gluing

Thanks for kind words... first time to try at this...glad i pick a kit with few parts and one paint camo paint job

Michael
Michael modeller 48

I clean up the pilot a little (waiting for paint to dry to add flesh to face and hands

Attach small pieces to blu tac for painting: antenna, wing probe and canopy (cracked it try to remove excess plastic)

I added a second coat of testor aluminum and rubber to tail wheel and main landing gear.

I masked off one of the straight lines that go from port to starboard on the canopy humbrol 15 blue one coat (waiting for it to dry)

Going to remask the angle lines of the canopy and paint.

This picture does not show to well my attempt to do touch up to pilot and undercarriage and hard reach places under the two bombs.

I was unable to have prop and assestor hook move and a broken prop blade and cracked canopy and few gaps in gluing wing together and not filling

the gaps in between the fuselage and top wing this build when OK i think.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hi Mike. The new tool Airfix use Cartograph which is a great decal. Back when your kit was released they used a good manufacturer and the decals are of a good quality. By press on I meant to keep going and not press on decals. Sorry about that. Things are shaping up very well for you.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Michael modeller 48

Yes, I agree this decals are suberb!! Oh it changed to Cartograph (now) from someone else (then)?

Thanks for encouragement Jeff!!! No worries i am not use to forums (read, writing and posting).

The build is going well so far: I mention a few faults and mistakes/errors in my last post.

But i must say i did OK with this build say that this kit had two small spruce with few parts and only one paint scheme camo and recently start

modelling after a number of years off and my first ever 24 hour build.
jssel

Post by jssel »

For your first Blitz you are doing very well. Explanations are clear and something anyone who will build the kit can use. Airfix did not always use Cartograph. Not sure who they used.

I generally do the 24 hour variety Blitz. Starting at 6am and going to 6-7pm EST. And yes, get tired. But it is a fun thing so take some rest time. No one is keeping toes to the fire.
Michael modeller 48

thanks again Jeff,

First time write building note, thanks again, i may be adding too much to my descriptions.

I guess planning start time/lunch/build/rest breaks are a necessity.

Since i used enamel with 12 to 24 cure time and i finished build/paint this morning at 10 am. To do un-interrupted 24 hour build.

I will need to clear coat/decal/matt coat and canopy this evening starting at 10 PM. I may split this build in two 12 hour parts instead.

Watching tv and having supper now, I will see if i am ready to squeeze the remainder of the build between 10 pm and 12 pm. I want give the paint at

least 12 hours to dry/cure, 24 hours would be better.

It is good to follow fellow modellers build and pictures, i am learn quite a bit from Migrant's 24 hour build. He adding so much more detail and steps

and better skills and techniques (more experience and more practice). Practice Practice Practice

With get a free NASCAR car kit off kijiji, I think I was bitten by the modelling bug and already have a stash of kits. One kits begets paint, paints begets

kits and so it goes....

If i feel pressured to build better i just take a break until i remind myself that i am starting modelling again and all is practice and learning new skills

It is fun to collect unique models that appeals to my interest. I am having fun build Spit's 109's and world war two air craft. I am loosely doing a

Battle of Britain build. Also I picked up a Ju-52 the airplane from the classic movie Where eagles dare. Mirgrant may print the decals from the movie

to try to build the plane from that movie....
jssel

Post by jssel »

Sounds like a plan
Michael modeller 48

I masked/ painted the curved canopy lines with Humbrol 15 blue.

I add Testors "flesh" colour to pilot and decide to clear coat 3 hour before my 12 hour paint dry time.

I add the antenna and wing probe (just need to be careful I do not break them off when decalling) so i could clear coat them.

I added a second coat of Testors "Aluminum" paint to the landing gear (so i have not added them to the plane since the paint is still wet).

Also i want to leave them off until I do the decals. I set the timer for 60 minutes for the clear coat then I will add a second coat before appling the

decals.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Leaving this for tonight (10:00EDT) and pick up in the morning. Looking like you have everything in hand.
Michael modeller 48

Good night Jeff,

thanks for checking with my first 24 hour build/waiting till thing dry.

I hope it is OK to split into 2- 12 hour segments? I will try finish before going to bed because I am not waking before 5:55 am tommorow to make the 24 hour

straight deadline. (I am not really sure all the requirements for a Blitzbau).

About to spray second coat of clear....
Michael modeller 48

Just add a second coat of clear at 8:30 and set the kitchen timer for 1 hour.

Hope to start decals in that time around 9:30. 30-60 mintues for decal to dry then add landing struts and a couple matt coats.

And will have to see how my attempt making first masking kit and painting a canopy without using a pre-build masking kit.

I used enamel for the canopy lines (I shoukd have used the acrylics that came in the box) faster drying time. The canopy has already cracked (oh well)

I am not to worried I did not take care of the seams and gap in the build (if that is not to Blitzbau standards) (oh well)

Watching the original Fantastic Four (did not know they recently made a remake). I like the original better.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looking very nice Michael, and bravo for doing a blitz, I think I'd like to but don't have the courage ….yet :)
If you are using gloss paints there is no need to spray gloss varnish to aid your decaling. The decals should adhere well to gloss paint. Maybe seal them in after you've applied them with a spray of varnish. Good luck :)

Nigel

Return to “Blitzbau XXI”