Rob's viking raider

For any subject - air, land, sea, military, civil - in any scale of anything in Scandinavian (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) use or markings.
GB runs 18th November to 31st December and your host is planecrazyman61.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's viking raider

Post by rob_van_riel »

I picked up this kit for little more than peanuts a few weeks ago, together with some out of production, and as it turns out, rather disappointing metal figures. Really odd; the two kits for which I placed the order in the first place are relative duds, the two kits I added to the order more or less on a whim are very good indeed. Happy accidents and all that.. :-D

Regardless of how I came by him, I felt he should feel right at home here.

The boxart for this "tourist":

The official story is that this figure is in 54mm scale, which is supposedly measured from the eyes to the bottom of the feet, but this one measures 60mm by that measure. Either someone messed up the scale, or this is one huge viking.
Not that this matters a whole lot, he's going to be all by himself anyway, so scale conflicts are impossible. What does matter is the very high quality of the sculpture. Dry fitting of the few parts doesn't show any problems either. At the risk of tempting fate, I'll say this should be smooth sailing all the way.

The blurb on the manufacturer's site suggests he's little more than a poor farmer, but he does carry a sword, so I think he's rather better off than they suspect. Again, I don't care much; this is about striking an impressive figure, not about financial or social status.
planecrazyman61

Re: Rob's viking raider

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi and thanks for joining Rob its nice to see some variety in the builds being chosen already , i hope to pick up some pointers on the weathering of figures to help when i try my hand at the 1/35th brigade
craig
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

planecrazyman61 wrote:i hope to pick up some pointers on the weathering of figures to help when i try my hand at the 1/35th brigade
I'll try to remember to ramble on a bit more than usual about the technical details of what I do. No guarantee that any of it will make sense though, and I should warn you that I might end up experimenting with some new (to me at least) techniques, so some of it might be more of a demo of what not to do :roll:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've done the initial cleanup of the castings. As expected, not a lot of work there. I did find some fit issues though; the feet and the base needed a bit of work, so there's now a bit of Green Stuff hardening on the base. The shield hand fits perfectly after some minor drilling, but the axe hand is less cooperative. I don't think I'll be able to create a seamless join there, which means I'll have to attach the hand and do some work with filler before painting. Fortunately, it looks like I'll have sufficient room to work even with the hand attached.

Similarly, I don't think the base will get in the way all that much, so I'll take the chance of attaching that as well before painting. That will be after I sand the thing down cosiderably; these several millimeters of thickness to the base that aren't really part of it, but just a glorified casting block. Alternatively, I might just sand the bottom smooth, and fake some further rockyness around the blocky rim (decision postponed until I get rather more sleep and just maybe a working brain again)
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Will you have some lovely SPAM with your Viking? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKNt0MhTkk[/youtube]
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Chuck Finley wrote:Will you have some lovely SPAM with your Viking? :)
No thanks; I'm not particularly fond of uninvited email, canned food, or Monty Python (yeah, I know, sacrilege).

That thing about tempting fate earlier? She's nothing if not predictable, and promptly took the bait. It appears my viking has a bit of a bad leg:

This is after two rounds of cleanup, and I've clearly got some work left to do before that mould mis-alignment is cleared up.

I've added a rim around the base to give the milliput I'll use for sculpting over the very deep pouring block.

planecrazyman61

sounds like the better option to scupt some detail around the base rather than sanding,novice question what is the figure made of and what would you use on any filling of any flaws etc,would it be milliput like the base
craig
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

planecrazyman61 wrote:novice question what is the figure made of and what would you use on any filling of any flaws etc,would it be milliput like the base
The figure is made of resin (same stuff used for many after market detail/conversion sets). Most materials you would use for plastic also work well on resin, except for cements and glues; being chemically completely different, the solvents that will work on plastic are simply shrugged off, so you need to use CA, epoxy or PU glues that rely on adhesion only. I can and do use regular fillers (solvent based or acrylic) and milliput/green stuff accross the range of media, plastic, resin and metal; they do well on any of them.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I apologise humbly but I have no idea what this SPAM and Viking thing is about!! :oops: :oops:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:I apologise humbly but I have no idea what this SPAM and Viking thing is about!! :oops: :oops:
Rather well known Monty Python sketch. I assume the youtube link Chuck posted points to it (didn't bother tearing down my browser's defences to check). You can perhaps take consolation from the fact that I only know about the sketch, but never saw it myself either (it's about annoying people, and I don't find those funny at all, but really, well, annoying..). I've always considered Monty Python to be somewhere between boring and embarassing, the occasional flash of genius like the Parrot sketch aside.

Come to think of it, wasn't that about a Norwegian Blue? Sounds rather Scandinavian, doesn't it :-D
iggie

Post by iggie »

Life of Brian was their best work in my opinion, I found very little of the half hour shows to be funny in afraid.
Although the Spanish Inquisition was amusing.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Life of Brian was their best work in my opinion, I found very little of the half hour shows to be funny in afraid.
Although the Spanish Inquisition was amusing.....
Did you expect to be amused?...... :lol:
rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I apologise humbly but I have no idea what this SPAM and Viking thing is about!! :oops: :oops:
Rather well known Monty Python sketch. I assume the youtube link Chuck posted points to it (didn't bother tearing down my browser's defences to check). You can perhaps take consolation from the fact that I only know about the sketch, but never saw it myself either (it's about annoying people, and I don't find those funny at all, but really, well, annoying..). I've always considered Monty Python to be somewhere between boring and embarassing, the occasional flash of genius like the Parrot sketch aside.

Come to think of it, wasn't that about a Norwegian Blue? Sounds rather Scandinavian, doesn't it :-D
Thanks Rob, must have missed that one, not seen a massive amount of the Python boys. :grin:
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Anyone else looking at the box art and thinking, "Kenny Rodgers?"
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Purplethistle wrote:Anyone else looking at the box art and thinking, "Kenny Rodgers?"
I am now!! :ha:
planecrazyman61

Purplethistle wrote:Anyone else looking at the box art and thinking, "Kenny Rodgers?"
if you can find a figure that looks like Dolly Parton to go with it you could do an Islands in the Sun duet vignette just don't forget to add weight to the back as counterbalance

Return to “The Scandinavian(+) GB”