Chuck's from prop to jet, SAAB J-21R in 1/72 *Finished*

For any subject - air, land, sea, military, civil - in any scale of anything in Scandinavian (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland) use or markings.
GB runs 18th November to 31st December and your host is planecrazyman61.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Chuck's from prop to jet, SAAB J-21R in 1/72 *Finished*

Post by Chuck Finley »

While I do not have any pictures yet, I'll contribute a SAAB J-21R from Special Hobby in 1/72. The J-21R is a modified J-21 fighter where the Swedes replaced the DB-605 in the original aircraft with a De Haviland Goblin jet engine. Did anybody else notice that it seems everybody is doing a Swedish subject so far?
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
planecrazyman61

Re: Chuck's from prop to jet, SAAB J-21R in 1/72

Post by planecrazyman61 »

the J21R looks interesting Chuck i have the heller J21A half built might try to finish while the GB's running
craig
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Chuck Finley wrote:Did anybody else notice that it seems everybody is doing a Swedish subject so far?
I'm not sure calling a big burly Dane with violent tendencies and a big ol' axe a Swede is a safe course of action :twisted:

OK, he might be Norwegian, but Dane is more likely as the manufacturers blurb suggests he had something to do with the incident at Lindisfarne. Swedish vikings were more likely to go east and do silly things like founding Russia :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

planecrazyman61 wrote:the J21R looks interesting Chuck i have the heller J21A half built might try to finish while the GB's running
craig
Those would make for a cool pair. I've always had a soft spot for the J21, so I'm looking forward to this/these.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

rob_van_riel wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:Did anybody else notice that it seems everybody is doing a Swedish subject so far?
I'm not sure calling a big burly Dane with violent tendencies and a big ol' axe a Swede is a safe course of action :twisted:

OK, he might be Norwegian, but Dane is more likely as the manufacturers blurb suggests he had something to do with the incident at Lindisfarne. Swedish vikings were more likely to go east and do silly things like founding Russia :-D

Well, I distinctly remember that Norway was united with Sweden prior to 1905.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

planecrazyman61 wrote:the J21R looks interesting Chuck i have the heller J21A half built might try to finish while the GB's running
craig

I have the Heller J-21A sitting on my shelf. Which is why I never picked up the Special Hobby version. On the other hand, school gets let out for a week to celebrate Thanksgiving and I plan on building the Valom B-45A Tornado and the new FJ-2 and FJ-3M Furies from Sword over the holidays. I plan on getting some heavy duty building done next week. :)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Chuck Finley wrote:Well, I distinctly remember that Norway was united with Sweden prior to 1905.
It was... Since 1814. It was also joined with Sweden from 1397 to 1523 under the Danish banner, after which Sweden en Denmark-Norway were bitter enemies. Such unions never sat well with the Norwegians, leading to several rebellions, some violent. A bit like the Scots and Irish after having been informed they were now subject to the English monarchy.

None of which matters, really, since neither Sweden nor Norway existed as such in the late 8th century, both being instead a patchwork of smaller kingdoms.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Hi Chuck

I built the Special Hobby J-21A a while back. It's mostly a very nice kit but, as with many limited run kits it does have some "interesting" anomalies. The biggest issue I found was the fit of the tail booms. Just to give you the heads-up:

I used plasticard strips and filler to build the booms up.

But if you put the effort in it does turn out to be a very nice model with a lot of great detail.

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

rob_van_riel wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:Well, I distinctly remember that Norway was united with Sweden prior to 1905.
It was... Since 1814. It was also joined with Sweden from 1397 to 1523 under the Danish banner, after which Sweden en Denmark-Norway were bitter enemies. Such unions never sat well with the Norwegians, leading to several rebellions, some violent. A bit like the Scots and Irish after having been informed they were now subject to the English monarchy.

None of which matters, really, since neither Sweden nor Norway existed as such in the late 8th century, both being instead a patchwork of smaller kingdoms.

All Vikings shall stand up in join in this great song:

Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!
Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Lovely Spam! (Lovely Spam!)
Lovely Spam! (Lovely Spam!)
Lovely Spam!
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!

:)
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Sorry about taking so long to update. During Thanksgiving week, I picked up a Douglas Adams compilation and decided to try out losing my mind (I highly recommend it anybody who asks ;-) ). In fact, I spent the last three days jumping in and out of a gin and tonic. At least I think it was a gin and tonic but I could have been........imagining it 8-)

That said, I did a little prepainting and will be using the pre-painted photo-etch set from Special Hobby on the kit. I firmly believe in better modeling through your wallet.

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

DON'T PANIC!!!
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a nice enough looking kit from where I'm sitting, Chuck. SAAB made some interesting looking aircraft. Bit like their cars - arguably quirky but solid and reassuring in a way that an Austin-Rover never was!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:DON'T PANIC!!!

Don't worry. I am wearing my "Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses as I type. Fortunately, they haven't turned black so I should be okay. :mrgreen:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

I finished the basic build and enhanced the cockpit with Special Hobby's pre-painted photoetch. Once again, better model building through your wallet in action.

Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Very nice and a nice busy cockpit to boot
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it

Return to “The Scandinavian(+) GB”