OT gets Foxy *** Finished ***

Select the most rubbish kit in your stash, one that probably has no other chance of seeing a workbench, and build it however you wish - and have fun doing it along with others likewise occupied.
The GB runs from 27 Dec through 31 Jan and your host is DazDaMan.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

OT gets Foxy *** Finished ***

Post by Old_Tonto »

Apologies for being late to the show chaps. Xmas & new Year are a bit hectic for me.
I'd like to enter this group build with this poor knock-off of a very krap kit. This is the Zhengdefu rendition of the 1988 MiG-31 Foxhound originally by Tsukuda Hobby of Japan. This has been in my stash for a few years now and whenever it gets near the build pile I find a reason not to start so from that point of view it fits with the GB remit.

When I got it a few parts were missing, namely the canopy, cockpit tub, instructions and the decals look rubbish. I managed to get some instructions from somewhere, all they do is reveal what is missing from the kit.

Anyway this is what you get on the sprues:

Plenty of stores too. 8-)

Thanks to the great folks on this here forum I have managed to scrounge what I need to have a go at this beasty.
There is no cockpit tub so I'll have to make a floor and side walls etc. but Kitaholic was kind enough to send me the correct seats from the ICM kit.

Whilst Shangos provided a canopy from a Kitec kit which is a perfect fit so I suspect they may be the same plastic.
Here is the dry-fit.

As the decals look useless I kept an eye on ebay and managed to pick up these for 99p including postage (I do love a bargain).

I read one review that said this kit is a full 15 scale feet short but that does not bother me as it will never sit next to another Foxhound. All the parts have flash and there are sink marks in very visible places that will need fettling. There are raised panel lines but they are not too bad so I might use this build to practice some pre-shading. Overall it looks like a real stinker but worth a try. She may be represented in flight depending on the fit of the U\C.

I was given this kit but I still feel robbed. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
MarkyM607

Re: OT gets Foxy

Post by MarkyM607 »

Always liked the Foxhound but never got around to making one despite several times owning one in the stash. I seem to remember the picture on the box, I think you are right about Kitech making or at least releasing this one as I had the Kitech one. I did have an old set of Mig's and Su-27's in the loft, do you want me to see if the cockpit tub is there, if I have a Foxhound?.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Old_Tonto wrote:I read one review that said this kit is a full 15 scale feet short
Just slightly inaccurate then. :lol:
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:1 B:4 C:13
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

You got a very nice deal on those decals! They seem perfect for your Foxhound!

The Great Auk
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

MarkyM607 wrote: do you want me to see if the cockpit tub is there, if I have a Foxhound?.
Don't bother Marky. A bit of plastic card will do as not much will be seen once the canopy is fitted, I'm only missing part B5.

Hopefully Ill be able to knock something together.

I made a start last night but not much to show as I was mainly cleaning up the flash and filling sink marks.

Just to get the juices flowing:
Current Projects:
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

TimJ wrote:
Old_Tonto wrote:I read one review that said this kit is a full 15 scale feet short
Just slightly inaccurate then. :lol:
Once again, perfect for this Group Build!

AS for the video............................you gotta love a big Mig!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I fitted the new cockpit floor last night.

As you can see those seats are far superior to the kit ones that are missing.
Thanks again Kitaholic. 8-)
Some side consoles will be added then something to represent the instrument panels. That should be enough then that funky Soviet metalic blue colour like this'

Whilst the glue is drying I decided to make a start on the fuselage as the kit layout allows that.
Sadly the halves didn't take kindly to meeting each other! :roll:

Some serious clamping was required - I removed 3 clamps just so you could see what I was photographing.

This is going to be a filler monster. :-|
Current Projects:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I thought my fuselage was a challenge but this is serious clamping indeed, OT! Hopefully you have a good stock of filler too.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Off to a good start OT. Actually this looks to be one of the better kits in this GB, albeit with a scale 15' less than there should be! :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Ahh serious clampage, the unmistakable sign of a Krap Kit!

Nice work on the front office and getting it all stuck together!

The Great Auk
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Nice choice :D
I was eyeing off my 1/144 Miguel 31 today for blitz baud. Having a bit of a soft spot for the type, I'm keen to see the end result.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Good job it is 15 feet short or you'd have needed another couple of clamps. :) )
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:1 B:4 C:13
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

That really doesn't want to go together, does it :) ?

I'd heard this kit was near legendarily krap, and yours had bits missing too. I respect a man who likes making it difficult for himself.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am reading a copy of MiG-25 Foxbat and MiG-31 Foxhound: Russia's Defensive Frontline (Aerofax Series) by Gordon Yefim. Super informative title and I am now a big fan of 'Bats & Dogs'. I do find research a stimulating part of this hobby.
So back to the build. Work continues on the office area although not much to show. I hope to get some images uploaded tonight so stay tuned.

As a distraction from all that work on the forward fuselage, the centre section was un-clamped to reveal quite a large seam line with needed plenty of filler especially at the rear but at least the whole thing didn't explode. I was worried about that. :???: One bonus of the kit design is that the wings cover most of the joint along the fuselage. So I removed the wing parts from the sprue and cleaned them up.

Does anyone know what might cause this squiggly effect on the control surface?

Anyway that oddity aside the wings went together without any problems. I have left the pylons off for now as I will attach them to the missiles later when I do the weapons.

Just a little filler required. 8-)

So the next thing was attaching the wing. The hole in the fuselage where the tab connects to two components was far too bit so I had to pack it and support the wing as the glue dried.
There is a gap at the wing to fuselage joint but it is not too bad. I'm a bit sceptical about the strength of the bond though so may superglue the gap before filling.

And here it is fitted.

As you can see it does a great job of hiding that seam line. I deliberately haven't shown the back end yet as plenty more filling and sanding is required. :)
Still, overall not too shabby and a pleasant surprise after the Trumpeter S-tank (which is looking at me right now!). Will work on that tonight.

Do we think this will be a tail sitter? It will be much easier to deal with that now before I close up the forward section.

More to follow.
Current Projects:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Old_Tonto wrote:
Does anyone know what might cause this squiggly effect on the control surface?

A couple of things spring to mind:
An old tooling with raised detail that has been re-tooled to feature recessed detail, or flow lines within the plastic caused by poor temperature and/or flow rate controls through one gate compared to others....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Krap Kits”