Marky's Centaur

This is a "get your feet wet" GB for figures and busts for those who have been reluctant to try or want to expand their skills. Any era, any scale, any subject -- even supporting vehicles/equipment are allowed, say in a diorama/vignette.
This GB runs from 1st January to 11th February and your host is rob_van_riel.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky's Centaur

Post by MarkyM607 »

And we're off!, just a little progress.
Not many pieces, in fact only one sprue...
Instructions, although I'm not sure they can be called that!...
Progress....
I have noticed (not very visible in my pics so I'll do some more to show what I mean), that the Human body part of the figure is leaning back quite a lot, it's not vertical as I might have thought. Maybe I can adjust the back legs but the body can't be adjusted without creating quite a bit of extra work.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:I have noticed (not very visible in my pics so I'll do some more to show what I mean), that the Human body part of the figure is leaning back quite a lot, it's not vertical as I might have thought. Maybe I can adjust the back legs but the body can't be adjusted without creating quite a bit of extra work.
I shouldn't worry about that too much, anything up to about 20 degrees rear of vertical should be fine; she appears to have the bow in line with her human torso, and she needs a bit of cant to stop the arrow (which is on the outside of the bow) from falling off. A human archer couldn't lean back that far without compromising stability, and would have to keep the bow vertical while balancing the arrow on his fingers when shooting like this, but a centaur has a lot more leeway in that respect.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I have noticed (not very visible in my pics so I'll do some more to show what I mean), that the Human body part of the figure is leaning back quite a lot, it's not vertical as I might have thought. Maybe I can adjust the back legs but the body can't be adjusted without creating quite a bit of extra work.
I shouldn't worry about that too much, anything up to about 20 degrees rear of vertical should be fine; she appears to have the bow in line with her human torso, and she needs a bit of cant to stop the arrow (which is on the outside of the bow) from falling off. A human archer couldn't lean back that far without compromising stability, and would have to keep the bow vertical while balancing the arrow on his fingers when shooting like this, but a centaur has a lot more leeway in that respect.
Sounds good to me. It would also make the rearing up/high front legs make sense. As if she is reacting to something and snap-firing back. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just a little update, I've done more than shown here but had a upload problem yesterday. I'll try and sort that tonight. All of the bits and bobs are on, mainly armour and equipment, including some where I didn't look ahead and stuffed filler on!!!.
Despite the top part being 'Human' she does have horse ears!!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Despite the top part being 'Human' she does have horse ears!!
All the better to hear you...

She's starting to look the part. Will she be dark skinned, or is that a basecoat you'll be building on?
iggie

Post by iggie »

She looks a scary so and so!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

An episode of Futurama comes to mind.
You are well on top of this.
I have some Masterbox figures myself, the "dangerous curves" series and similar. They go together well and are nicely molded.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Rob, She'll be lighter skinned, no offence to any other colour but this is a method for us Caucasian lot I learned when I first painted WH40K figures. You start with a dark brown, add a medium one, leaving the edges dark and then use the intended skin colour on top, the idea being the first two colours give you shadows and depth and so on. I might get another and go dark skinned and perhaps brown or black horse body. I admit my skin painting techniques are very rusty, over a decade of aircraft and the like, not much flesh tones on a Vulcan!!. Good to get them going again.
Iggie, she does have a somewhat stern expression but then she is trying to fling an arrow at someone!!.
General, I think I know the one you mean, Bender gets addicted to a fantasy game, and the other characters are drawn in somehow. I think Leela is a Centaur in it. That brings an idea to mind..... Darn you!! :ha:
Alright, I might make TWO more.
P.S. I had problems loading images into Post Image (for once!!), she's a lot more completed construction wise than the pics I posted show. Will try later. :grin:
P.P.S. Okay, THREE more, if I do the modern girl version!!. :evil:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:not much flesh tones on a Vulcan!!.
You've been neglecting your Star Trek :-D
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

That looks great.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks, I have enjoyed it despite the lack of instructions!!. This is going to have to be a DNF but I will try and get it done this weekend. :grin:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:This is going to have to be a DNF but I will try and get it done this weekend. :grin:
Now I'm confused. "This weekend" would imply "finished with three weeks to spare", hardly DNF..
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:This is going to have to be a DNF but I will try and get it done this weekend. :grin:
Now I'm confused. "This weekend" would imply "finished with three weeks to spare", hardly DNF..
Oh, I'm getting dates mixed up then!! :oops: . I've just finished her this morning and glued the figure to a base. Might detail that but will see. :grin:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:I've just finished her this morning and glued the figure to a base.
You know what they say: Pictures or it didn't happen :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:I've just finished her this morning and glued the figure to a base.
You know what they say: Pictures or it didn't happen :grin:
Get right on it chief!!. :lol:

Return to “Figures & Busts”