Marky's Centaur

This is a "get your feet wet" GB for figures and busts for those who have been reluctant to try or want to expand their skills. Any era, any scale, any subject -- even supporting vehicles/equipment are allowed, say in a diorama/vignette.
This GB runs from 1st January to 11th February and your host is rob_van_riel.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Centaur

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, this is my effort for this GB. It's a female true, but as least she's mostly covered up and somewhat armoured. Except for the horse part which is naked really!!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Re: Marky's Centaur

Post by rob_van_riel »

Great choice! You have your work cut out for you though, with lots of skin and lots of horse on diplay, both of which can be a real challenge to get right. Brave man.

The larger scale should really help with the face. There's even a bowstring to help practice you rigging skills :-D From the box art, the shooting stance looks pretty good too (although for stability's sake, I don't think I'd recommend rearing up while shooting -- then again, what do I know, I'm just human), something which many kits/illustrations manage to mess up rather badly. Looking forward to this.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit of a coincidence that the Satyr, their only other mythology kit so far, is running through a barrage of arrows?

This critter has been flirting with me at the local hobby shop, but so far, I've resisted. That could change though :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:This critter has been flirting with me at the local hobby shop, but so far, I've resisted. That could change though :-D
Of course, I might also get a bad case of silly one day, and try to build something like this :-D
59North

Post by 59North »

Cool idea for a figure model.
You'll get experience in flesh tones and animal hues all at the same time. Actually, it's the first time I,ve ever heard of a female centaur. Guess there just has to be though, even in the God world.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

59North wrote:Actually, it's the first time I,ve ever heard of a female centaur.
Same for me, when I first ran into this kit. I was inclined to discredit the idea as just so much more modern 'fanservice', but just to be sure, I did some digging. Turn out they are in fact mentioned in Greek art and literature. Not that it matters, but it was one of those "shows what I know" moments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurides;
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Wow, that all looks interesting. Actually it was more that I've never done such a figure/creature and her being female was more of a nice change than the main reason. She does look like she can handle herself!!. I agree with Rob that rearing up seems to require a lot of skill and so on to pull off a good shot!!. Having read the info supplied grey horse body with dappled patterns seems appealing, although my attempts at German mottling should probably tell me to steer clear!!. :grin:
Skin tones all over are concerning me now!!. :evil:
P.S. also like the modern Centaur(ess), or is it Centauride as the info Rob found states!!.

Anyway, enough waffling (also feel drawn to trying the modern version!!) :lol:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:Having read the info supplied grey horse body with dappled patterns seems appealing, although my attempts at German mottling should probably tell me to steer clear!!. :grin:
One of the few coat patterns that still have me scared. Where possible, I tend to chicken out and go for dark (brown) horses myself, although I pulled off are vaguely passable grey for the 10th anniversary GB. Even that was "close, but no cigar" :sad:
For my next attempt, I will either try out a "spatter" nozzle on the airbrush, or revert to something we used to do in primary school. Mask out a shape, then take some fine metal mesh, cover it in very thin paint of ink, and scrub over the mesh with a toothbrush above the target, creating a fine spatter pattern (a bit like a very low grade airbrush, really).
Hmmm, I wonder where I can get my paws on a bit of mesh on short notice... <walks off mumbling>
Anyway, enough waffling (also feel drawn to trying the modern version!!) :lol:
You could suggest a centaur GB :-D
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

I would take the easy option and build a tank :ha:
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Kitaholic wrote:I would take the easy option and build a tank :ha:
I just knew someone was going to find that way of wimping out. Go find some quiet corner to sit in and be ashamed :ha:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Hmmm, I wonder where I can get my paws on a bit of mesh on short notice... <walks off mumbling>
In the kitchenware section. They're called "flame-tamers", and are about 8" round meshes. Beats me what you want with them in the kitchen, but just what I needed.

So, I roughly gave a horse a white base coat, thinned some medium grey paint all the way down to wash levels, and spattered away for a bit. I think it has potential:

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

rob_van_riel wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:Hmmm, I wonder where I can get my paws on a bit of mesh on short notice... <walks off mumbling>
In the kitchenware section. They're called "flame-tamers", and are about 8" round meshes. Beats me what you want with them in the kitchen, but just what I needed.
They even distribute a gas hob flame across the base of a saucepan. This helps it to stop burning in spots when say steaming rice.

Tea strainers and coffee filters are also a good source of wire mesh, the latter being particularly fine.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Kitaholic wrote:
I would take the easy option and build a tank :ha:
A tank would be fine as long as the vehicle has a person merged into the top!!. Either a Centaur (standard and variations), or a mythical creature GB would be interesting. :lol: I may go for the easy brown option too but I do like black so that's an option as well.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

MarkyM607 wrote:A tank would be fine as long as the vehicle has a person merged into the top!!.
Hmmm, I thing I saw some mecha in this configuration once..
Either a Centaur (standard and variations), or a mythical creature GB would be interesting. :lol:
An excuse to paint up a dragon... :grin:
I may go for the easy brown option too but I do like black so that's an option as well.
Black is actually very dark brown in this case, with very subtle colour differences in it. A darker variant of this:
http://www.crazytinker.nl/kitlog/figure ... horse.html;
There's actually quite a bit of black on there already, as a very fine mist over the back of the horse, almost like the dithering used in printing. Start with a very dark brown, and keep misting on very 'lean' black from the airbrush until it looks right. Don't blast on the black, but mist it on in almost imperceptible coats.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:A tank would be fine as long as the vehicle has a person merged into the top!!.
Yup :-D
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/kni ... 0813052041;
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote:
Yup :-D
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/kni ... 0813052041;
Crikey!!

Return to “Figures & Busts”