Pmmaker's Pilots of the Great War - ***Finished***

This is a "get your feet wet" GB for figures and busts for those who have been reluctant to try or want to expand their skills. Any era, any scale, any subject -- even supporting vehicles/equipment are allowed, say in a diorama/vignette.
This GB runs from 1st January to 11th February and your host is rob_van_riel.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Re: Pilots of the Great War - "Finished"

Post by pmmaker »

rob_van_riel wrote:
pmmaker wrote:Completed my four figures from WWI. Here are the finished shots. I will post "official" photos in the "completed" thread. Must say I had fun doing these. Thanks to Rob for a great and unusual idea for a group build.
They turned out very nice. Glad you enjoyed the work; always happy to be of service in this way.

When I build figures with the intention of posing them next to possibly different vehicles, I typicaly drill a deep hole into the bottom of one of their feet, and glue a sharp pin from a sewing kit (with the head ground off) into it. My bases tend to have a hard foam just below the surface, so it's a simple matter of sticking the figures into the base where and when I want them. This eliminates the need for a smaller base attached to the figures themselves, and helps them blend in better.
Your bases appear to be solid wood, but a sharp can can also be placed into a pre-drilled hole. When not occupied by a figure, a light sprinkling of ballast or grass will hide the hole.
Great advice Rob.

I don't generally display my models (and figures) on diorama bases as a practice. The diorama bases you see when I share pictures of my models are just one of the two basic bases I made to be reused over and over again to take the photos. Once the photos are taken, the models are put on the shelves for display without the bases. That's why I put the flat plastic standing bases on the figures I painted - they need to stand on their own on a shelf.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”

Return to “Figures & Busts”