54mm LRRP, Vietnam ** Finished**

This is a "get your feet wet" GB for figures and busts for those who have been reluctant to try or want to expand their skills. Any era, any scale, any subject -- even supporting vehicles/equipment are allowed, say in a diorama/vignette.
This GB runs from 1st January to 11th February and your host is rob_van_riel.
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

54mm LRRP, Vietnam ** Finished**

Post by PTB11 »

I washed the pieces in detergent and let them dry. Then, after a little bit of filing, I super glued the arms into position.
They still need a bit of filler and more filing. The head also needs a bit of fettling to get it to fit naturally, but I will leave this off until the end, to hopefully make painting it easier. :shock:

Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
rob_van_riel

Re: 54mm LRRP, Vietnam

Post by rob_van_riel »

PTB11 wrote:Then, after a little bit of filing, I super glued the arms into position.
Oh dear, you may end up regretting that. Access to the equipment at the front, and the rear side of the arm and weapon, is now going to require very interesting acrobatics during painting.
You experience may be different of course, but I often do a lot of the paintwork now before attaching the arms. The obvious trouble that causes with working on the arm joins and having to touch up that part of the clothing seems like a good price to pay for not having to work in extremely awkward places behind arms and weapons.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
PTB11 wrote:Then, after a little bit of filing, I super glued the arms into position.
Oh dear, you may end up regretting that. Access to the equipment at the front, and the rear side of the arm and weapon, is now going to require very interesting acrobatics during painting.
You experience may be different of course, but I often do a lot of the paintwork now before attaching the arms. The obvious trouble that causes with working on the arm joins and having to touch up that part of the clothing seems like a good price to pay for not having to work in extremely awkward places behind arms and weapons.
I know exactly what you mean and the way you describe is how I used to do figures. But now I get a better finish adding as much as I can at the beginning and making good the joints etc. Hope I don't end up regretting these words!!! :grin:
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looks good Paddy! What paints do you use on white metal? Will acrylic stick?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

iggie wrote:Looks good Paddy! What paints do you use on white metal? Will acrylic stick?
He'll get a coat of Halfords primer, then base coated with acrylics and the main painting done with Humbrol enamels.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

As mentioned above, heres the figure after its primer coat and a coat of Tamiya RAF Green. The flesh is Vallejo ModelColor Dark Flesh.

I'll give this 24 hours, then its on with the enamels...

Here's the camo I'm going for. Although how it will look in 35th scale remains to be seen!
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

PTB11 wrote:As mentioned above, heres the figure after its primer coat and a coat of Tamiya RAF Green. The flesh is Vallejo ModelColor Dark Flesh.

I'll give this 24 hours, then its on with the enamels...

Here's the camo I'm going for. Although how it will look in 35th scale remains to be seen!
You're a brave, brave man. Let us know how your eyesight is at the end of painting that!!. :ha: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Crikey! good luck with that!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

PTB11 wrote:Here's the camo I'm going for. Although how it will look in 35th scale remains to be seen!
Nice going so far. An old modeller once told me that where scale prevent you from exactly replicating the truth, they key is to suggest it in such a way that the observer will unwittingly fill in the blanks for you. The camo seems a prime candidate for that approach.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

rob_van_riel wrote:
PTB11 wrote:Here's the camo I'm going for. Although how it will look in 35th scale remains to be seen!
Nice going so far. An old modeller once told me that where scale prevent you from exactly replicating the truth, they key is to suggest it in such a way that the observer will unwittingly fill in the blanks for you. The camo seems a prime candidate for that approach.
I read the same advice in Shep Paines book. I'll give it a go a see how it turns out :shock:

So far the brown splotches have been added. Then the Black Tiger Stripes. For the black I used NATO Black. Then the light sand colour squiggles were added last:

I'm not happy with the light sandy bits. I'm going to try and cut them back a bit.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
iggie

Post by iggie »

That is some fantastic work Paddy; would a grimy wash knock the light squiggles back enough?
Best wishes

Jim
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

iggie wrote:That is some fantastic work Paddy; would a grimy wash knock the light squiggles back enough?
Thanks Iggie.
Its not so much the colour of the squiggles, its more the size. I'd like them smaller!!!
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Not happy with the sandy bits?
The modeller is never satisfied.
Looks superb to me.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I can see what you mean about the size of the brown bits compared to the others, but they're dark enough that it doesn't I any way spoil the overall effect, IMHO. Very nice work so far. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

PTB11 wrote:
iggie wrote:That is some fantastic work Paddy; would a grimy wash knock the light squiggles back enough?
Thanks Iggie.
Its not so much the colour of the squiggles, its more the size. I'd like them smaller!!!
Looks good. Maybe a pencil might be of use in reducing the light squiggles? A drab coloured pencil squiggle down the middle of each could perhaps break them up nicely.

Return to “Figures & Busts”