Miguelito's Tamiya Pak-40 ** FINISHED **

UAMFs signature GB, Winter edition.
Runs 1-28 Feb and your host is Jssel.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's Tamiya Pak-40 Part 1 complete, Part 2 Tomorr

Post by chrism »

Despite the flashy parts it is cleaning up nicely, and the detail looks nice on it for an old kit.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
mjatx

Re: Miguelito's Tamiya Pak-40 Part 1 complete, Part 2 Tomorr

Post by mjatx »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Very nice looking artillery piece, and 10/10 for the music choices. Bad Manners are currently on tour here in Australia at the moment 8-)
Nigel
Thanks! Bad Manners are going to be in Dallas in March, which is about 3 hours away from me, but that's as close as they get, so I don't think I'll see them this time around. Saw The English Beat recently, and Dave sounded great. Heard on the radio that he turned 62 today, so that means either I'm pretty old too, or he's REALLY old.
jssel wrote:Nice place to make a break. Outstanding Blitz food and music.
Thanks. Turned out to be a perfect place to stop. Didn't need the instructions anymore and both sprues are empty. Now, I just need to find some time to get it painted.
ShaunW wrote:Nicely done, Mig and it looks like you are on target to finish.
Thanks, Shaun. Honestly, I know I don't have much left to do. Basically just prime and paint. The issue is that I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that in one straight shot this week. I was hoping to do it today, but life and other distractions got in the way. Maybe next Sunday.
splash wrote:Great work it’s coming along nicely
Thanks, Splash.
chrism wrote:Despite the flashy parts it is cleaning up nicely, and the detail looks nice on it for an old kit.
It's a nice kit. I have the "premium" Dragon kit of this one, which comes with a bunch of photo-etch and looks to be a bit more complicated and possibly accurate/detailed, but this one does the job and I think with a coat or two of paint, it'll be pretty nice.

Last night, I was planning on spending some time today and finishing up the paint job on the Pak-40. Then today came and went. In addition to the normal distractions (Olympics, and a few things to do around the house), my daughter wanted to work on some minis for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign she's playing. This caused me to pull out a couple minis and spend a little time working on them too. One was started in the Figures & Busts GB, the other I just picked up this morning and did a quick paint job and basing.

Here's the Yeti I didn't finish in the GB. It could use a little more work, but I'm not sure I'm interested in doing too much more with it.

Here's a Drow Elf Rogue that I painted today. Nothing too fancy, but it'll work for a tabletop game.

I'm going to mark the Pak-40 Part 2 build as a TBD, but it'll probably happen on Sunday Feb. 25, so set your alarms.

mjatx

Re: Miguelito's Tamiya Pak-40 Pt 1 complete, Pt 2 Sat 2/24 3

Post by mjatx »

Just realized that Sunday won't work due to a prior commitment. So, it looks like it's Saturday afternoon or never, which probably means I'll be finishing this one up alone.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Unfortunately I will be out of internet range but will check in Sunday.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'll be looking in!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Same here. Love the Specials!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
mjatx

Re: Miguelito's Tamiya Pak-40 Pt 2 Sat 2/24 10am CT (4pm UTC

Post by mjatx »

Well, as so often happens with having teenagers, my schedule for the weekend has completely changed, because their schedule changed (or I just didn't get the correct schedule to start with, which also tends to happen more with teenagers).

This means, I now have an open early part of the day to work with, so I'll get a chance to spray the Pak-40 earlier than planned. No problem. Unfortunately, this also means I should probably clean off the work space. It's a little cluttered at the moment. I spent some time this week, after work, doing a quick paint job on some 40k Space Marines, and when I get around to clear coating the Pak-40, they're ready for a coat too.

As you can see, the Pak-40 is still in the same state it was at the end of Part 1. I'll do a timestamp when I'm ready to officially kick this off.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I'm officially on the clock.

Now, I'm off to the garage to spray some primer, and since I'll be in the garage for most of part two, it's probably a good time for some garage rock.

Here's a garage rock band from Austin, Texas in the 60's.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I hope it's warmer in your garage than it is in ours right now!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see this back on the go, Mig. I have a feeling that the average garage temperature in Austin is somewhat warmer than where I am in northern England. I think you'd be lucky to see much over 38F (3C) in ours at the moment!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

We were in the 40s (5 C) on Wednesday, but we're going to be in the 70s (30 C) today. Unfortunately, it's been raining and it's still pretty foggy out. Going to be humid and muggy today. Perfect weather for painting! :roll:

I decided to add some brackets for where the shovel should sit. I had some PE straps in the parts box that worked well.
Then I primed it NATO Black (although, it still looks unpainted in the photo).

Then some white highlights.

Then I realized that I didn't have Dark Yellow, or Deck Tan in Tamiya. So I made up a mix using the dregs of a yellow, desert yellow, and white. It worked pretty well, but I think it's a little too Desert Yellow.

I left parts bare, because I'm planning on adding a little camo to it. Not sure if I'm going with a red brown, or olive green. I decided to lighten the yellow a bit with some White and Buff.

Here's how it looks after the Buff. It's still moist enough in the garage, that even the Tamiya is taking a while to set up, so it'll sit like this, while I take a break to eat some lunch.

Here's some lunch music.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That’s really starting to take shape.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I decided to go with Red Brown for the second color.

After spraying the Red Brown on, I added more thinner and some Buff, then sprayed the entire model in a light mist of this color to try to pull everything together. I'll let it rest, then pick out some of the details, before moving to clear coating it.

mjatx

Post by mjatx »

I'm still not really happy with how the Red Brown looks with the Dark Yellow I mxied, so I've decided to try and warm up the yellow and make the Red Brown look more red. I decided to do an all over coat of Tamiya Clear Red.

If you've never used this stuff before, it smells HORRIBLE. Absolutely the worst. Anyway, here's the "before" picture.

Here's the after shot.

YIKES! I figured it would "redden" the yellow a little, but I really didn't think it would turn it that red. I was spraying very lightly, and from a distance, so I was very surprised with the result. Once the Clear Red dries a little, I'm going to go back in with some Buff and touch up the yellow areas. We'll see how it works out.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The additional buff fixed my concern about too much redness, and I was able to come back into the house to finish out the remaining issues. I am declaring this one FINISHED. Although, there is a lot more weathering I could do, I'm not sure how I'm going to display this since I intend on using it in a diorama down the line some time. So for now, the build is complete, and the model is painted.

Return to “Blitzbau XXII”