Northfields Model Shop

Recommendations of all those increasingly rare LMS's in a town near you, so the rest of us can find them and marvel! Also, the places near you where blokes approach you, furtively clutching the latest SAMI and smelling of resin.
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Northfields Model Shop

Post by mightymikeD »

This, I think, is what we all picture when we think of our "LHS"... the shofloor itself is tiny, there is room for about three people and you'll have to become friendly because you'll be very close together. Every other available inch is given over to teetering stacks of kits, reference books, train sets and accessories. The main focus of the store is model railways and Skalextric but there is an absolute treasure trove of our business there too. The clutter is incredible.. I can quite happily stand there just scanning the store for interesting stuff. I know the owner, Witek, well enough to be allowed to go behind the counter and into the half-glimpsed array of kits, of all shapes, sizes and makes that hover in the background. It was in there that I found an original Matchbox Monty's Caravan, a couple of parts and decals missing but such an immediate reminder of my childhood that I bought it on the spot.. also the Amodel kits that I've been building and sundry other wonders. Plenty of Airfix and Revell too.
Witek is a genuine Gentleman: he always has time to chat and is always interesting. I discovered a kit that I know sells on eBay for three times what he's charging, told him so and he said "Oh, I don't mind. I bought that off someone as a favour and if I just make my money back I'm happy". He recently stopped me when we passed on the street to tell me that he's been stripping an old electrical heater down prior to recycling it and had discovered within a coil of element wire that is both flexible and very strong, and did I want to share it with him? (yes, yes I did) When I popped in to buy some Maskol (I had to leave the vast majority of my gear in Ireland when I moved last month) he gave me, for free, an old jar (that has a Beatties sticker with 26/12/83 on it!) It works just fine, as well.
The paint selection is Humbrol based and pretty comprehensive.. in those trays under the counter lurk some pretty damn old tins and half-tins of paint and, thanks to that, I can safely say that the old Humbrol 11 Silver trumps the current stuff. Either that or paints mature like wine.
I don't feel that I'm doing the ambiance of the store justice here.. but take my word for it: Northfields Model Shop (and don't look for the sign in the photo, it's even more minimal now) is a throwback.. I pop in almost every day just to have a chinwag if I'm not shopping. Which is easy for me.. look at the photo.. see the white door to the right hand side? That's the door to the flats where I'm staying right now. None-More-LHS.
But don't take my word for it.. if you're in West London (or Londres in general.. Northfields station is three hundred yards away) come and visit.
You won't regret it.
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28

Return to “Are You Local? Model Shops and Clubs”