Focus on Vacforms

Look here for links to great reference sites and useful online tools
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Focus on Vacforms

Post by vacant »

Does the modelling fraternity need yet another web site? Probably not. But I have created one anyway. There is always some interest in vacform models, but there is no site dedicated to them. Even in the existing sites, there are no specific areas to which one can refer. Vacform kits and all the black crafts that surround them, are buried deep in the mass of everything else.

So I thought it might be helpful to set up a site that deals with vacform models and nothing else. Hence its title 'Focus on Vacforms'. The site went live last night and can be found at

http://rareplanes.jimdo.com/;

I don't intend that the site will be an active forum with daily exchanges, or even one that attempts to be comprehensive. It is there as a source of reference and ideas. It contains photos of built vacform models (aircraft), brief profiles of some vacform companies, links to demo builds and reviews etc. More content will be added over time. It will not take over my life. It won't. It really won't.

The content has been written by myself and Gordon Stevens using whatever memory and research we could muster between us in a short time. The photos of models are based around my own collection, but also include those of Gordon Stevens and Carmel Attard. The collection has a long way to go. I welcome contributions from others and will do my best to keep on top of things.

I am endebted to 'philadfish' for unstinting technical help in working out how the web tools work. I am enough to try anyone's patience.

So please have a look and enjoy.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Focus on Vacforms

Post by bluesteel »

Very nice indeed, I like it a lot, I'll be a regular visitor for certain. I have a soft spot for vacforms even though I don't make them very often these days, so perhaps this will encourage me to fish a few more out of my stash.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

An excellent endeavour!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Very well done website which pulls a lot of information together. Thanks

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Excellent !!! Already book-marked.

I have a number of vacform kits in my collection of RAF 'tween wars aircraft; a few started, none finished - I keep distracting myself.

I hope you have found your way into out Classic British Kits section and the Manufacturers forum therein - we have several threads on the vacform manufacturers that may be worth a link.

Looking forward to the growth of your website .... and me finally getting off my duff ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've been having a browse of this Vacant and I have to say that it is very interesting and informative. I've never built a vacform but have a little 1/72nd Halberstadt vac lurking in the stash and it has been lurking for so long that I can't remember the manufacturer :oops: Your site is certainly inspirational and best of luck with developing it further.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Well done on a great start to your website, it's now been bookmarked and will get visited on a regular basis.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ara398 »

Congrats Vacant! :beer:

A brilliant idea... will be visited regularly.

Thanks,
Adrian
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

I'll contribute my Formaplane 1/72 Fairchild Argus/Forwarder when it eventually gets finished!
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I love the site, good info and very clean organized design. I'm going to look into the site provider you're using.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Feel free to link my Welsh Model 1/144 AW Argosy build

Start here http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=193&t=2568; finished here http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3853;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
vacant

Post by vacant »

I am most appreciative of all the generous comments and offers that have come so quickly.

The idea of a 'clean' design was more by accident than design - I have never used this web design software before so I had no idea how to use it. I just got on with what little I could work out. Even then, I needed help in working out how to create the hyperlinks. I was expecting something idiot-proof fwith a bit of drag and drop, but creating links means getting into code. I'm still not sure what I am doing, but something seems to have emerged.
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

good idea and very informative.

If you like you can add those links:

Whirlykits Fairey FD.1
Preview: http://modelingmadness.com/review/korea ... x72007.htm;
Review: http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/gb/pohlfd1.htm;

Whirlykits Avro 707 B
http://modelingmadness.com/review/korea ... hl707b.htm;

De Havilland 108
http://malepo.blogspot.de/search/label/ ... d%20Dh.108;
Cheers
Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Note: We feel the best way to maintain visibility of this very important topic and excellent website is to sticky it here in Online References ans Resources. We encourage everyone to go look and if possible contribute to the website and this thread.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

What an excellent site. it might give me a push to build that Contrail Airspeed Ambassador that's been lurking in the stash.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “On-Line References and Resources”