Stepping down as CBK SIG Leader

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Stepping down as CBK SIG Leader

Post by JamesPerrin »

Dear All,

After a rather protracted period of deliberation I’ve decided that I wish to step down as leader of the Classic British Kit SIG. The last couple of years have been busy both in family life and work and modelling has got squeezed. Though I’ve managed to keep things going I don’t feel I’ve had the time to give the role the attention that it requires. It’s even taken me a couple of weeks to find the time to sit down and write this post.

I’ve been in the post for over 5 years, and deputized before that. It’s been a blast and I've enjoyed every moment of it and would carry on if I could. We have created some memorable displays, after the initial single manufacturer themes, which have showed there are plenty of things you can do with a bunch of old kits. I have had the support of a fantastic deputy in the shape of Matt Bacon, and Alan Bean(y) our Display Manager. Not to forget you the CBKers who have built the brilliant displays we have exhibited. I hope you will continue to do so. I don't intend to disappear mind and will continue to play an active role in the SIG.

The job of SIG leader doesn’t require a lot of time, I just don’t have any at the moment. The role involves the following:

• Maintaining the members list
• Filling out the SMW/SIG returns form ( I’ve just received this and will pass on to my successor)
• Running the Display theme polls and keeping the SIG ‘on message’
• Attend some model shows, most significantly Scale Model World

From now until March 4th anyone who wishes to take on the role should PM me. If there is more than one candidate then a short poll will be run, following the deadline.

Deepest Regards to you all,
James
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Stepping down as CBK SIG Leader

Post by mattbacon »

I'd just like to say a huge "Thank You" to James for all the work he's put in as SIG Leader. We all know it's not just about the "formal" IPMS tasks, but about being there, and being, to a large extent, the public face of the CBK SIG. James took us through a potentially difficult transition to a mature SIG, with many people involved, and engaged. I think we can also number many of our best displays as being produced "on James' watch". So although there are many contributors to every SIG activity and display, I think we should also give James the credit he deserves for the extra value he's brought as SIG Leader, "above and beyond the call of duty"

I can fully sympathise with James' position -- if I had an utterly irresistable moppet competing for my attention, I don't think modelling would get much of a look-in in my house, either! So let's encourage James to spend his all-to-brief modelling hours actually sticking plastic together and spraying it with paint rather than filling in returns.

I'm sorry to say that I won't be volunteering my services as SIG Leader -- there's a new puppy and some pretty complex life circumstances in the offing, and I know I wouldn't do the job justice...

So, Thank You, James, you've done a stellar job!

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Agree, fully. I shall miss your perspective and guiding hand.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'll echo Matt and John - you've done a sterling job, James. It was a pleasure to be able to help out at Telford last year - I think we did a nice job. Many thanks and best wishes.

Although I'd be willing, I am also unable to put forward myself for consideration - distance prevents my attendance at most shows....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

James a big thank you from me, I think you have done an outstanding job.

Unfortunately I'm also not able to put myself forward, being Ex-Forces the main show always clashes with Remembrance day and I have to give priority to my fallen colleagues.

You will be a hard act to follow but whoever takes on the role will have my full support.

Regards Alan
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I add my thanks as well James, you have done a great job of running the SIG and will be a hard act to follow by whoever takes the job on.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Sorry chaps, I immediately responded to James PM with my own to everyone before seeing this thread, so I will attach my reply here as well....

I'd just like to thank James for the superb job he has done as SIG leader which has seen the SIG flourish and grow, has had some outstanding displays and feedback and has even featured in the media at times. I fully understand his reasons for stepping down but am pleased he will continue being a member so we can still meet up at Telford and elsewhere.

I'd like to go on the record straight away as deputy/ex leader of the CBK SIG to say I won't be looking to lead it again having just become leader of the Revell Modelling SIG and have the returns to do for that one already amongst other things. Whoever does lead it will get my full support and continued assistance with doing shows and displays should they want it. I've already booked our spot at Farnborough and I know James has Cosford and SMW sorted for this year.

Good luck guys and many, many thanks again James.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

I have to thanks James for not only doing such a stellar job leading the CBK SIG and for getting me involved in the group but for also giving me such tremendous support and guidance as I took up the position of SIG leader myself. Making sure I didn't forget to attend the SIG leaders meetings at Telford was always such a difficult task ;-) . The box-art displays are still talked about at other shows I have been to (even this year, fully two years since the last one).

I wish I could offer my services and take up the role but like Al I have another SIG to take care of and my meagre modelling time is fully taken up with projects for that and others. I hope someone is able to take the stand and continue James' fine work, who ever it is will have my backing 100%.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
chrism

Post by chrism »

Sorry to read of your decision to step down James, but family and personal life, come first. I have only heard very positive reports of the strength, growth and productivity of this SIG at shows etc over the past years under your tenure and I would concur that you are going to be a hard act to follow. Having only joined the SIG in the past months, my personal opinion is that it would not be prudent for me to even consider taking up the leadership mantle. I hope that someone does come forward, and I too, will be happy to take an active part in preparing for any future organised shows and displays that I can.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Its such a shame your stepping down James.
Although I have only known you since the november SMW I have heard so many good comments about you and your work improving the CBK SIG and If in the Cold War SIG's case I can do half of what you did for the CBK CIG then Il be a heppy man.
Who ever takes over will have my support.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thank you all so much for you kind words of support, they are greatly appreciated. I'm hearten to hear that the deeds of the SIG have spread the round the community. I feel we have been more like acted branch by creating a new display every year and it's kept us going. I think if we shipped the same kits around then both members and punters would have disengaged.

I should point out that SMW is not yet booked, the form is the same one as the SIG returns. There are a few weeks before it's due in and there is no reason to post if off until we have a new SIG leader.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Well the deadline has passed and as you might have surmised nobody has stepped up to take over. This is a real shame, there are currently 29 registered members and it's future shouldn't rest on my availability. The SIG has plenty of life left in it and there are still some great displays to be built. It doesn't have to be an individual if two people want to share the organization between them that would be great. If no one comes forward I will inform IPMS that we are closing our doors next week. :sad:
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Despite the distance, I would be willing to take on the paperwork side of things if there are one or two people who can run show attendance. Perhaps one for the north of Britain, the other for south, with shared responsibility for SMW.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Paul, would your have to be an IPMS(UK) member, or are you already.

Seems like a workable solution for now, as our displays have mostly been collaborative modeling efforts. Someone still has to be "James" to sort through the SMW theme ideas, elect/direct the best one, and then organize whatever supporting things like signs, shorts, etc, that go with it. Much of James value was his ability to put together a "production" for us.

Also, for SMW, I assume we need someone to be a post office for overseas contributions and a keeper/collector for the other shows that year.

We all know this, but now we need to have a little list of duties & volunteers .... speaking of which, we better get back on this year's theme.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TomW

Post by TomW »

If we are to go down the collaborative route then I am happy to put myself forward as a mailing address and/or deputy. Being southern based I guess I can cover that are if we can get a northern counterpart to assist.

Talking of this year's theme, might I suggest that we take the results of a poll to decide both for this year and for next? By that I mean first is for this year and second place is our theme for next year. Just to streamline things as we go through this transitional phase.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10