Stepping down as CBK SIG Leader

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Stepping down as CBK SIG Leader

Post by mattbacon »

The main reason that I don't want to put myself forward as a candidate for SIG Leader is that with redundancy looming, I have no idea what I'll be doing in the autumn, so I don't know whether there's any chance of me making SMW or not. If we can find people who will commit to "making the display happen" and being there as the public face of the SIG for SMW (I'm 95% certain of being able to make Huddersfield 2016), then I'm happy to do administrative stuff. However, the SIG Leaders meeting is at SMW, so I couldn't guarantee to attend that.

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As Tom know the admin side is minimal. What takes the time is organizing the discussing, choosing and organizing the display theme. Then secondly creating banners, sign-age, flyers etc and being 'on site' to put it all together.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

JamesPerrin wrote:As Tom know the admin side is minimal. What takes the time is organizing the discussing, choosing and organizing the display theme. Then secondly creating banners, sign-age, flyers etc and being 'on site' to put it all together.
And therein lies the problem as, IMHO, that is where the real skill is found in a SIG Leader and for one I don't think I have the flair for that aspect of the job.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

ShaunW wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:As Tom knows the admin side is minimal. What takes the time is organizing the discussing, choosing and organizing the display theme. Then secondly creating banners, sign-age, flyers etc and being 'on site' to put it all together.
And therein lies the problem as, IMHO, that is where the real skill is found in a SIG Leader and for one I don't think I have the flair for that aspect of the job.

Luckily the CBK signage is already prepared and re-used year on year. It is the display theme specific flyers/support materials that are new each time. Though I believe we have some templates for flyers that we use regularly as well?

Shaun all I can say is you wont know until you give it a try ;-) I certainly don't possess an abundance of flair but if you can talk about your subject with a degree of passion to a relative stranger then you'll do fine. I find that is the hardest part of leading a SIG; the engagement of the general public at shows. But it is also one of the most rewarding as well :grin:

And as to the organising the displays; well there is always the 'pointy stick' option of repeated PM's. Again with the CBK SIG there is a reliable core of individuals who regularly devote their time into attending shows and taking the SIG 'on the road' which will be a huge help to our next leader (and one of the strengths of the SIG as a whole).

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
chrism

Post by chrism »

Things sound a tad more promising tonight. I am willing to work with Tom as required to "do" the southern shows, and if Tom is taking the CC-Sig as well, I can support him and work more closely with him to provide cover for both tables. For me, I am willing to venture north - as in Telford once a year, and whilst I have done Cosford both ways in-a-day, it is nearly 7 hours travelling ... and that plus the thick end of 400 miles worth of petrol is just not an option I am willing to repeat. 250miles in a day (and 2hours each way is quite enough!).

If someone else picks up the role of being the official IPMS advertised leader of the SIG, but wants someone else to take up the admin for organising and coordinating an annual display, and divvying trusteeship for some of the contributions from some members for it for future north and south shows, then that task is not an issue and is quite within my capability to offer to do.

I leave this with you all to ponder.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I've only just today finished 4 weeks of almost continuous and totally knackering back to back 12 hour night shifts for a rush job so haven't been following what has happen here since my last post. I can't believe nobody (other than those who have already posted and explained here) has taken up the mantle and thus would presumably rather see the SIG cease to be. So, for the second time in it's history, I'm willing to take on the full leadership to stop the SIG folding if you want me to. James, you can send me the returns and I'll complete them and send them back with my Revell Modelling SIG ones. Let me know if that is acceptable.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW

Post by TomW »

Al, ironically I pm'd James yesterday offering to do exactly the same thing :shock:. I don't think anyone wants to see the SIG shut up shop but rather it's the case that modellers are of the quieter disposition in general. I.E they are not often the type of people who volunteer to lead but are happy to be led and it takes a push to get one to stand forward from the others. Obviously there are exceptions and those are the individuals who run the various clubs and societies we all love to attend.

This is not a unique situation, James will no doubt confirm the discussions had in recent SIG Leader meetings at Telford where the current executive committee has looked to step down but no-one was prepared to step up and replace them.

So it looks like this might come down to a vote after all :ha:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It seems there is a general feeling that we cannot allow this SIG to fold for the want of a leader and I certainly would not want to see that happen as in my relatively short tenure on this forum, the first people I met face to face from here were members of the CBK manning the stand at the Huddersfield show back in 2012 and I have enjoyed their company at Hudds and Telford ever since. My concern at taking over the reigns would be making a hash of it as I've never been involved in modelling much further than building the things and going to shows. I have no problems in talking to complete strangers about sticking bits of classic plastic together but I have concerns that I'm no expert in the subject, although of course that can be rectified with a bit of reading up and gleaning stuff from the membership and my other, more major, concern is display formulation as I'm not terribly creative in that way - that is certainly the area in which I would need a lot of help to start with. I might also struggle to commit for a full three days to Telford but, no doubt, that can be sorted with a bit of careful holiday planning.

So, in summing up, I'd need my hand held for a while if I were to take over and would need a good 2 i/c or otherwise to be part of a committee effort - for instance the North/South idea would probably work. However we sort it, sort it we must, or this SIG will end this month, period. James has done a great job and surely we cannot allow his efforts to be for nothing.

IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

ShaunW wrote:So, in summing up, I'd need my hand held for a while if I were to take over and would need a good 2 i/c or otherwise to be part of a committee effort - for instance the North/South idea would probably work. However we sort it, sort it we must, or this SIG will end this month, period. James has done a great job and surely we cannot allow his efforts to be for nothing.
Good man Shaun, I'd certainly second you as the new CBK leader and I know Tom will as well. All of us were in the same boat at one time and were afraid to commit, but we all received help and actually find the SIGs tend to be joint efforts that just require a nominated leader for admin purposes. There is certainly no need to feel you have to attend every show for example. Tom, James, Matt (and Iain) and I tend to attend the ones that are geographically easiest to attend. I have nowhere near the in-depth knowledge of CBKs as the three guys I've just mentioned, but I still feel I can contribute to the SIG as a whole, and have found talking to the public (and even our own SIG members and fellow modellers) at shows has gone from being something I used to lose sleep over to being one of the most enjoyable things. From the few times we've spoken at shows I think you'd be great for the job mate.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It is good that we seem to be moving to a solution. I, for a number of reasons, am not a viable candidate but I am a mostly supporting member, some years are better than others.

If one of you turns out to be the new "James", hair or not, all the better, but if we need to have a small committee or divided duties, then we should lay them out so the new person doesn't get left hanging. Note that many of these positions can be filled by the same person, we just ought to figure out that and who fills the rest.

Just some thoughts:
Titular Head - the "face" of the SIG to IPMS/UK, name on the bottom line
Secretary - does the membership & returns
SMW design lead - the one who gets our theme sorted for the coming year (this year also, BTW, hint, hint)
SMW floor lead - the one who is the show leader, on the floor
SMW display lead - the guy who packages it all up, brochures, layout support, etc.
North & South display leads - for a division of shows after SMW using the current SMW display or as much as possible.
The storage site - where do we keep all this stuff
The transporter - who moves it show to show and how

While all candidates so far are good, all show a certain reluctance or inability, perfectly understandable, to do it all, so we ought to have the support staff lined up to ensure CBK SIG success.

Again, I'll do my best to keep sending contributions over, but anything on the ground "over there" would simply be folly on my part if I volunteered and your part if you accepted. :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers Al. A SIG has to be a team effort as it is a Special Interest Group after all and as I've said above, the display aspect is the bit I would be the most nervous about. I just don't want to see this SIG die off but equally don't want to be the one remembered for knackering up James' good work. John has raised some excellent points and I'm sure the ideas can be thrashed out. If I am to take on the nominated leader's role it will be quite a steep learning curve but, if no one has any objections and there are no others who wish to put themselves forward...........

IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Do you wish to be blindfolded ? :ha:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I am also pleased to see that we have some new candidates. I am willing to be the figurehead for a joint leadership, but am also happy to help out whoever does take over in any way I can. I do have some supporting materials (fliers, handouts, etc.) that we've used in the past and can supply them as electronic files or printed copies as necessary, and I can make and supply new stuff as well.

The SIG is a team effort and anyone who can do anything to help is strongly encouraged to do so in any way they can. Some will always be reluctant to step into the limelight, and that is natural human nature. Others do not see themselves as natural leaders, and that is OK, too. But I'd really like everyone who is part of, or who wishes to be part of the SIG, to be active in some small way. It really is a lot of fun to attend shows as part of the SIG - to meet with fellow enthusiasts in what is essentially a solitary hobby.

Don't forget that there are no qualifications necessary to be a member of the SIG - you don't have to be a member of IPMS - and there are no fees or dues. All we need is your enthusiasm for old kits.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

As I said, I'm happy to do any roles that don't _require_ attendance at SMW. I'll be there if I possibly can, but if I'm doing a lucrative consulting gig in Dubai that'll pay the bills for a year in November (I wish...;-P) then I don't want to let the side down. Perhaps the first thing to do is to decide what the display themes will be, and then recruit the roles for them... it depends somewhat on who has a "vision" for that specific display that others will buy in to...

bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Well firstly guys before we get too far ahead of ourselves, we have to sort out the question of the titular leader so that we don't get closed down by the IPMS. I've had a chat to James by PM and would now like to "officially" put myself forward for the role. Let me know what you think (politely please :ha: ) i.e. yay or nay and we'll take it from there.

Regards

Shaun.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Classic British Chat”