Stepping up as CBK SIG Leader

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Stepping up as CBK SIG Leader

Post by ShaunW »

Well, the membership has spoken and it would appear that I am it, the new CBK SIG Leader and I am more than happy to formally accept the role.

As this is a whole new ballgame for me, some of you will be on the receiving end of various questions and queries so please bear with me whilst I find my feet. I had to think long and hard before putting myself up for the role and, yes, I do have some nerves jangling to a certain extent but members have offered tremendous support that I have no doubts I can count upon. I know there is a lot of passion for these old kits amongst you all, which I share with great enthusiasm. My basic ethos is that that old classic kits should be built rather than collected - I have nothing whatsoever against kit collectors but IMHO these things were made to be built and the work that I have seen in recent years from members of this SIG is something to behold.

To say I am looking forward to working with you all in continuing this SIG is something of an understatement. I know I have some pretty big shoes to fill but I sincerely believe that together we can continue to ensure that this SIG continues to be stimulating and, above all else, fun.

So it's onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

Kind regards to you all.

Shaun.

P.S - Question No.1 - can someone with the necessary admin powers move this into the announcements section for me please? I don't seem to have access with my standard UAMF membership (unless that's meat head error #1 :ha: ).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Stepping up as CBK SIG Leader

Post by JamesPerrin »

Congratulations Shaun on winning after a closely fought battle :mrgreen:

The first thing to do is to change your signature and I'll do likewise!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

Well, major movements in my brief period off line :lol:
Well done Shaun, I'm sure you'll do a grand job :grin:
Looking forward to Cosford ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
TomW

Post by TomW »

Congratulations Shaun :-D I am sure you are more than suited to the role and I'll be behind you all the way. See you at Cosford in April.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks guys.

Cosford?!?!? Aaaargh I hadn't thought about that. Usually the show is when we are on our annual skiing trip but this year it looks like the show is the day after we get back. Fortunately we arrive home in the early afternoon on the Saturday and I no longer work Mondays so I should be OK to attend. I'll keep you posted on that score (i.e. I'll double check with Mrs W when she gets home tonight :ha: ).

IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

ShaunW wrote: P.S - Question No.1 - can someone with the necessary admin powers move this into the announcements section for me please? I don't seem to have access with my standard UAMF membership (unless that's meat head error #1 :ha: ).
First, congratulations !!

It seems that James (probably) has already made you a full moderator over all the forums - that should give you all but a few "mod" powers which any of us "green guys", most of whom happily are SIG members, can do when needed. This is the way CC SIG is set up.

As a test, you can move your own post. In the chat forum (this one), click on the [Moderator Control Panel] toward the upper right. In that put a check mark on this thread, then down at the bottom pick "Make Announcement" from the Select Desired Action menu and answer the "are you sure you want to" questions until it is happy.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

congratulations shaun i think you'll do fine as leader of the sig ,is it too early to ask which shows you are likely to take the cbk sig to this year also the doncaster model club at the aeroventure museum is this wednesday 11th if you fancy popping in me and shane are usually in from about 7.30pm cheers craig
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

jRatz wrote:
ShaunW wrote: P.S - Question No.1 - can someone with the necessary admin powers move this into the announcements section for me please? I don't seem to have access with my standard UAMF membership (unless that's meat head error #1 :ha: ).
First, congratulations !!

It seems that James (probably) has already made you a full moderator over all the forums - that should give you all but a few "mod" powers which any of us "green guys", most of whom happily are SIG members, can do when needed. This is the way CC SIG is set up.

As a test, you can move your own post. In the chat forum (this one), click on the [Moderator Control Panel] toward the upper right. In that put a check mark on this thread, then down at the bottom pick "Make Announcement" from the Select Desired Action menu and answer the "are you sure you want to" questions until it is happy.
Many thanks John, I'll have a fiddle about with the tech stuff later in the week as I'm going out shortly I won't have the chance tonight.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

planecrazyman61 wrote:congratulations shaun i think you'll do fine as leader of the sig ,is it too early to ask which shows you are likely to take the cbk sig to this year also the doncaster model club at the aeroventure museum is this wednesday 11th if you fancy popping in me and shane are usually in from about 7.30pm cheers craig
Many thanks Craig. Alas, not this week I'm afraid but I will make the effort to come across for one of the Wednesday meets when I can, it will be good to have another chinwag with yourself and Shane.

The next show that the CBK is booked in for is Cosford on April 12th and I will be in attendance. I've never been but have seen photos etc and it looks great. So that is one to look forward to. After that it is Farnborough in September but I will seek to delegate that one (i.e. butter up Beany!) as it is too far for me to travel for one day. Then it will be SMW at Telford in November.

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

congratulations shaun.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks again for stepping up, Shaun! Let me know if I can help with anything from this side of The Pond.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Right there with Paul. If I can help on this side of the pond yell.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

ShaunW wrote: After that it is Farnborough in September but I will seek to delegate that one (i.e. butter up Beany!) as it is too far for me to travel for one day.
It's not exactly 5 minutes down the road for me either :ha: (but it is my old stomping ground and my mum still lives down there - and it is a REALLY good show - second only to Cosford IMHO).
Tables for Farnborough already confirmed - I'll have to take some CBK items home after Cosford and return them at Telford, otherwise it will just be the Beany show (Mwah-ha-ha-ha...)

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for your kind words of support boys, it means a lot, seriously.

I'll hopefully see you at Cosford then Al and you're a star for taking care of the CBK Farnborough effort, somebody should buy you a pint for that :grin:

IPMS#12300
TomW

Post by TomW »

I offer to buy him lunch every year Shaun, if they had a bar and we weren't both driving I'd get him the pint too. I'll echo Al's comments about Farnborough though, it is a great show and one I always try to get to as well.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10