SMW 2021 - CBK SIG will not be attending

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

SMW 2021 - CBK SIG will not be attending

Post by JamesPerrin »

Matt Bacon a I have discussed at length the whether CBK SIG will attend Scale Model World. It's clear to us that the risks still far outweigh the benefits and neither of us want to spend 2.5 days indoors with thousands of others when the state of COVID in November is unknown. I'll therefore be informing the IPMS Liaison that we will not attend this year.

As no one so far has asked me about our attendance this year or what we would display it is clear that is there is a lack of enthusiasm at this time. The Matchbox Anniversary next year will hopefully though reignite everyone's interest and we can but on a proper display rather than a half hearted attempt.

I may attend the show as a visitor but I can make this decision at the time when the situation is known. To anyone intending on going at part of a SIG or Branch stay safe, be vigilant and I hope you have a good time.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: SMW 2021 - CBK SIG will not be attending

Post by PaulBradley »

A wise decision, guys - things do seem to not be getting any better.

I've some Matchbox kits ready to be built, and I might even make it to next year's show - things are still very much up in the air.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Good call James and Matt. Wise move. You will have my support for next year's Matchbox display.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I'll echo the above comments; a wise decision for sound reasons. I too should be able to help with a couple of Matchbox builds for next year if you want them 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Wise decision, lots of time to think good thoughts about Matchbox kits !!
Also hopefully global postal processing won't mean we have to have them in the mail January :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Just to let you guys k ow I won't be attending this year. Although I have had both jabs Sarah and Jack can't have the jabs due to Sarah's medical condition and Jack his severe nut allergy. Both have been advised not to have the jabs by the GP.. So my attending would be both selfish and irresponsible.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks for the support, guys. James and I both appreciate that some people will have a different perspective on the risks and benefits, but I think this is the right choice for us and the SIG membership.
best,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm of the view that you have definitely made the right call, chaps.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Sensible decision 👏👍
Up in the Great White North
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Absolutely agree with you James and Matt and will be informing IPMS that the Revell Modelling SIG will not be attending now (for pretty much the same reasons you guys have stated).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

A difficult but wise decision- good call chaps!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That's the thing with Old Classic Models, they will be just the same next year. Classics are always classics.

I never did get to Telford unfortunately, but I'm a bit miffed about not being able to show my collection at our local shows. Model Mania at Locomotion, Shildon, was always a very well attended show and I always had lots of classics out. I have been building up a fair number for displays, some built, some wrecks and some still in boxes. Now Model Mania has been cancelled. This happened before Covid and appears to be a IMHO a short sighted decision. The new ops team are based hundreds of miles away in the London Science Museum. They seem to think that model shows are just not Up Market enough. Since cancelling all the shows, the footfall has dropped dramatically. I am currently getting set up to build a Virtual Model Display on my picture site. I'll post details on another thread.

Maybe we could just have a thread on here where we can have our 2021 event. We can post our recent additions.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Classic British Chat”