Telford hotels or B&Bs

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Telford hotels or B&Bs

Post by ShaunW »

I know it's a while off but your Leader is under pressure from she who holds the purse strings to book some accommodation for Telford, at least for the Saturday night. Can anyone recommend any hotels or bed and breakfast accommodation within, say, 10 miles of the International Centre? I know I can use the internet but I prefer personal recommendations if possible for this sort of thing. Prices need to be on the cheap side of £100 per night if I am to keep the good lady happy :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Telford hotels or B&Bs

Post by Dazzled »

We stayed at the Park House hotel in Shifnal in 2013. It was very nice and cost £95 per night. It's well worth checking out deals with the hotel booking sites like Trivago. We're going this year but I think that Mrs Dazzled wants to stay in Telford itself.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

It may well be a while away - but a good few places are all reserved/ allocated out ...
The on site ones are under £100 a night for ipms mrmbers but I think they will be booked - give them try and ask . Paul was as the new premier inn and found that ok - there's other places a few minutes walk away near junction 4 and railway . Ian also stays within a few minutes walk and had used same place for past few years but I am not sure where it is. Beany was at park inn but I can't comment further than their prices have gone stupid high in past 2 years since I had stopped there.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

As Chris says, I stayed at the Premier Inn - very new, very nice. My rate included a full breakfast, but that's a bit more expensive than the regular rates which work out just under 100 quid a night. Previously, I'd stayed a the International, which also rates rather well and included a full breakfast, but I don't know what their pricing is like now.

If it's a bit over 100, can you call it a special anniversary present to yourselves? ;-) Certainly, you'll want to book sooner rather than later. Most hotels offer free cancellation nowadays, so might be worth booking something now, because you can always cancel later.

Check out the Premier at TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... gland.html;

My review (from Trip Advisor):

"I stayed for three nights for a convention at the TIC and found it to be the perfect location - just 100 yards from the entrance. The hotel is situated in a pedestrianized area, so my taxi had to drop me about 50 yards away - no big deal. Check in was a little fraught, as the automatic check in doesn't like American passports, apparently.....But the chap at the desk was apologetic and helpful and we got it all sorted.

The room was spacious enough for one, the bed was comfortable and the chaise longue was a nice change from uncomfortable hotel room chairs!!

The bathroom was fine, though the step out of the shower/bath was very high, even for someone over 6' as I am!! Would have appreciated a handle or two while IN the shower as well - the tub floor was a bit slippery.

Wi-Fi - 30 minutes free, pay a reasonable rate for the other 23.5 hours. I paid for the one day, restrained myself to the 30 minutes for the other two! ;0)

Breakfast was included in my rate, and was excellent. A wide selection of traditional English hot breakfast items, cooked to order. A good selection of fresh fruit, yoghurts and cereals, plus toast, bagels, etc. Tea, coffee and juice, all fresh made.

I really cannot find any negatives - the tub issues aside, everything was excellent. "
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism

Post by chrism »

Now that I am in front of a keyboard and screen its easier to type. The International for this year is under £70 a night for the IPMS member rate for a double room with single occupancy. Whereas with two people in the room it has in previous years gone up circa £4-5 a night. That rate includes a "buffet" style help yourself to cereals, grapefruit, toast, croixants, and cooked bacon to make a sandwich yourself with type of breakfast, and that style of food at that hour of the morning is all I am generally used too and want.

The other on-site hotel is generally around £10-12 a night more. Benefit of both the on site hotels is that once there, you have no additional parking (£5 a day) or need to move car until you come away Sunday. Whereas stopping anywhere else, you would typically at a minimum need to move your car once you checkout on the Sunday morning, and would want it down there at the TIC on the Sunday for loading up to come home later in day. (On Friday for setup parking is free).

The International was OK for what it is. It is convenient, and handy, and with the new selection of restaurants and pubs a few yards away, ideal for what it is for 2 nights. There is no free WIFI but that is not important to me. There are a number of other places that have all been "done-up" in past 2-3 years, and consequently their rates have done likewise.

I can PM you the contact number and IPMS info to quote if you want to try booking onsite. But at this stage, I fear it is going to be quite booked up.

The hotel Ian generally uses, is I think having looked at my town plan this morning, the Ramada.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for taking the time guys. I now have food for thought and will have a proper look tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not too late to secure anywhere decent. Any more recommendations are welcome.

IPMS#12300
TomW

Post by TomW »

I used the Park Inn last year and it was very nice indeed, great nights sleep and breakfast with only a 10 minute walk to the venue. Cost was about £70 for the Saturday night but I booked through a third party website quite late on so might have got a reduced rate cancellation.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers Tom. I'm checking out the various suggestions made today as we're away next week.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Crikey you were right boys, even though November is a fair way off most of the hotels are either full or filling up fast for that weekend. After much mulling, chewing and sweating over it we finally managed to get in at the Buckatree Hall in The Wrekin which is nearby to Telford and which appeared on a link whilst I was looking at one of the (pricier) hotels in town (that only had one room left!). The hotel looks nice enough and I'm sure it will be fine for our needs. And we got it at a good price :-D

Many thanks for all of your suggestions.

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Pleased to hear you got yourself sorted with a room. Some of the chaps from my local club have stayed there in the past. They now use the University because it offers them single rooms and the privacy that that entails, rather than struggling to get twin room.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Thanks for the timely heads up on this chaps; as usual I had given no thought to this annual affair and have struggled in the past to find a room for Carrie and myself. I've just booked the Premier Inn for Friday and Saturday night - NOT cheap but at least the rate is for two of us, and it is minutes from the ICC and the Telford town centre restaurants - which I will also book in advance this year!
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
chrism

Post by chrism »

Al - if your happy with weatherspoons menu and prices you just turn up order and eat. As for the places in the new food and entertainment area - as Paul, Ian, James, Tom and I found out ... Booking that morning would have been useful to get seated earlier (etc 6,30ish)but we got in and beer and food prices and menu were very ok where we were on Saturday evening.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I just booked the Ramada for the Friday and Saturday nights. It's not cheap (£240 including breakfast) but it's only a ten minute walk from the International Centre.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Over the years I've stayed at the Holiday Inn, the Buckatree and the Park Inn, all nice places to stay, but this year I got a better price at the Day's Inn :grin: As Chris says, food at the Thomas Botfield is good and cheap - I usually breakfast there 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

I managed to book a room at the Ramada today,so once again the Scottish contingent will be there(Yippee :lol: :lol: :grin: )

Return to “Classic British Chat”