IPMS(UK) 50th Anniversary in 2013

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: IPMS(UK) 50th Anniversary in 2013

Post by PaulBradley »

...and we can concentrate on the other manufacturers....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

By the time the show does come up, there could well be Matchbox and FROG SIG's!

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thank you Colin for clearing up that little misunderstanding.

Yesterday I wrote to the UKLO who passed on email to those concerned. Both I and Matt have since communicated with Gary and Colin and have pledged the CBK's support and benefit of its experience and knowledge. Please note though this does not mean building loads of models - that's meant to come from all IPMS members and amount to maybe just a few from each SIG/Branch. What is wanted at the moment is ideas and inspiration.

Alfie Bass (the IPMS's Techincal Advisory Service) is leading the project assisted by Gary. With Colin being a member of the IPMS EC and AMSIG it was logical that they got involved early on. This does not mean it will be Airfix centric or even British kit centric, obviously with Gary pushing for overseas involvement too this display will represent modelling globally!

As Gary's post states it is still early days and very little has been decided upon. I therefore invite any CBK member to come forward with any ideas or concepts that they may have. There is 70' of space encompassing 50 decades of modelling. Note I say modelling and not just kits. Though there is a desire to have every genre of kit represented ideas are sought for the overall presentation as well as maybe mini-displays within the overall scheme. So how how the hobby changed over the years and how do you represent that?

Matt and I have started to liaise but I would at like at least one other CBK member to help spearhead our involvement. So if you've got the enthusiasm, knowledge and creativity to be involved in what could be the biggest and most encompassing display of our hobby please contact me or Matt.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

How about the theme "Through the Years." Compare and contrast certain aspects of the hobby from 1963 through to today, but also in the wider context of life since 1963. So, for example, you could have a display of Spitfire models from then and now, backed by a display illustrating the changes to the warbird community in that time.

In the same vein, a display of civilian airliner models from then and now and compare that to the civil airline industry. Same thing with cars and travel, cruise ships and the holiday travel industry, fighters, naval vessels and tanks and their spheres of warfare.

The displays of models could include both built and unbuilt examples; there could also be displays of tools, reference materials, magazines and so forth, to illustrate how the hobby has changed. There could be a chart of how the price of Hasegawa kits has risen compared to GDP (just kidding...)

This way, you can relate to the times and put our hobby into context with the wider world then and now.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Indeed, people such at Bill Matthews and Ted Taylor spring to mind. IPMS could even interview them ahead of time about modelling then and now and show the interviews on monitors as part of the display.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Of course, how could I forget!
Paul

Return to “Classic British Chat”