Thinking longterm and looking ahead to a theme for 2017

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Thinking longterm and looking ahead to a theme for 2017

Post by chrism »

At the risk of a lynchmob descending on me ... I thought I would start a topic and throw a few suggestions for what could be a theme for 2017 out into the open.

I remember from last November when the concept of the "London" theme was being discussed in conjunction with the Naval one, it was agreed that London would be kept as an option, but not as a definite for 2017, until other ideas had been considered, so here are a selection and some ideas to start you all off... your thoughts and ideas would be useful.

So:

1. The London concept carried forward from last year..

2. Films - ie you build a model or dio etc to depict something in a film

3. two-seaters - anything that had or has two seats

4. Silver - anything that has or is predominantly silver or any other colour we select - red and/or yellow are other good ones for this idea

5. Rescue and Recovery - planes, vehicles, helicopters - military or cilivian used for rescue and emergency

6. Animals - not just the dinosaurs but anything that bears the name of an animal - panther, tiger tanks etc etc

7. First and Last - the first and/or last ones of anything that were made or put into production

8. F F F the three F's (things that came First, travelled the Furthest or were Fastest in some capacity)

9. Rivals - eg Hood/Bismarck; and or any pair of planes, tanks etc from opposing and rival sides

I will leave my ideas there.

But Whatever is decided, and whenever it is finalised; finding old kits can be a challenge, and with Telford around the corner, it could provide a good opportunity to find bargains, and give each of us the inspiration to bounce ideas and help others find suitable kits and accessories without resorting to expensive mail order companies - but it does require us to be super ultra organised :-D
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Thinking longterm and looking ahead to a theme for 2017

Post by splash »

That's a great set of suggestions Chris, I would be happy to take part in any of those.

In the past we had great success with the box art theme, could it be time to bring it back?

How about mixing two themes like London box art?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Some good ideas there, Chris - something we can all talk about at the tables in a couple of weeks.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Hurrah ... a response to the thread at last.

Well thanks for replying both of you. It is nice to know that at least you are a willing contributor to any of these Alan, and I too hope like Paul said, that we can have a sensible conversation on the subject when we are at Telford this year, and see from there what we all want from this SIG and any future displays.

Given the level of support and comment so far in over a month to this thread, whatever happens for next year, the theme needs to be something that the few, who are current active supporters and builders for the SIG are happy with and will contribute too.

, if the "legislation" that we now have to comply with for Telford, continues to mount, we also need to have a display that is simple to setup and break-down and does not require a lot of bulky background scaffolding and supporting matter, baseboards etc (unless of course someone is willing to take on that task)

The box-art theme is one that I have not participated in, but would be very happy to do, and do have something in stash that I would love to do based on the "original" Airfix box images which I have copies of. Equally, with a Matchbox GB on the general forum, can we convert any of those participants into SIG members and beg the loan/use those GB builds and a few more built later in year by a few of us to build a display?,
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

All very good questions that will set up an interesting discussion!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sincere apologies Chris but I have been avoiding this issue prior to Telford and will discuss matters with you and the other attendees at the show. That is not to say that I think the suggestions lack merit, far from it and it is good to see that discussions have now started but I have quite a lot on my plate at the moment.....
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Classic British Chat”