Do we consider Hallam-Vac a CBK manufacturer?

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Do we consider Hallam-Vac a CBK manufacturer?

Post by TomW »

As the title says, how do we stand on Hallam-Vac's status as a CBK manufacturer? I only ask because I just got my hands on their Westland Welkin and the instructions and diagrams are copyrighted Sheffield 1985.

If it is a CBK then I wouldn't mind adding it to my list for Telford this year.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Do we consider Hallam-Vac a CBK manufacturer?

Post by beany »

I think I'd have to look at the term "Classic" here. If no one has ever heard of Hallam, even among our humbled ranks of nostalgia buffs, then I'd say probably not. Otherwise we may just as well become the "anything British over 25 years old" SIG. That's just an observation though Tom, not a criticism. From our time together at various shows manning the CBK SIG tables, I know you have a great knowledge and enthusiasm for these more obscure builds (along with James and Matt and Iain) and so for that reason alone I'd happily say "Yeah, do it". I'll be interested to see what our fellow Siggers think and feel.

Cheers mate
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I recall the name from ads in old mags and the odd review in early SAMs, but have never seen one in the flesh. I'd be interested to know more about the company and their products if anyone can enlighten us!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I had it in my mind that we they weren't simply weren't old enough to count as a CBK manufacturer. Though as I have the very same Welkin built I should have known - and might have put it on my list if I had.

Beany brings up a good point as to what to we define as classic? Emotively is it a classic, no, technically is is a classic, yes. If only the former then nothing other than Airfix, Matchbox or Frog would really be eligible - that would suit some. Rareplane, Formaplane, Skybirds etc would be all out. We have therefore always embraced the smaller manufacturers. Trying to determine 'classicness' based on their output/popularity will just lead to argument - so anyone who makes the cut is in!

They produced only a few kits:

Westland Welkin
Bristol Brigand
SA Pioneer

maybe one or two others and I think were related to some aviation publishing company.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Weren't Hallam Vacs made by our late lamented friend Ron Firth? Alongside Plastic Kit Constructor magazine? I seem to remember that we set the date for "Classic" status as 30 years ago or older when CBK was originally set up, so 1985 kits are technically not eligible until next year. However Ron was a true gent, and a friend of the SIG (he always stopped by for a chat when he was still able to get to shows over the last decade or so), so I'd say it's in as a tribute to Ron, who died few months back, whether or not it's technically a CBK (by a matter of months only...)

bestest,
M.
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

mattbacon wrote:Weren't Hallam Vacs made by our late lamented friend Ron Firth? Alongside Plastic Kit Constructor magazine? I seem to remember that we set the date for "Classic" status as 30 years ago or older when CBK was originally set up, so 1985 kits are technically not eligible until next year. However Ron was a true gent, and a friend of the SIG (he always stopped by for a chat when he was still able to get to shows over the last decade or so), so I'd say it's in as a tribute to Ron, who died few months back, whether or not it's technically a CBK (by a matter of months only...)

bestest,
M.
Hallam Vacs were indeed produced by the much missed Ron Firth. They are definitely classics.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

JamesPerrin wrote:
They produced only a few kits:

Westland Welkin
Bristol Brigand
SA Pioneer

maybe one or two others and I think were related to some aviation publishing company.
James, the 'Pioneer' was actually a Twin Pioneer. He also made an Auster AOP9. I have both.

David

Return to “Classic British Chat”