Scale Modelworld 2018 Theme

Moderator: JamesPerrin

Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Scale Modelworld 2018 Theme

Post by Gregers »

All good suggestions. If I may I'll add this:-
Fangs for the memory. Anything with teeth/shark mouth markings.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Gregers wrote:All good suggestions. If I may I'll add this:-
Fangs for the memory. Anything with teeth/shark mouth markings.

All the best.

Greg.
For CBK type kits - You are limiting yourself primarily to planes with that thought
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Granted. Thee are a few exceptions. There were sone tanks with tiger faces on them for instance. Agreed that it does limit somewhat though.
All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

An OPEN TABLE is usually good, as modellers can either bring completed models, or get a chance to feature a brand new old kit.

It could be split into sections, such as "By Air, By Land and By Sea." or in Manufacturers groups. Another angle may be to limit kits to those available in 1968, hence giving a 50 years, or Half Century link. Some of us were there! It's a sort of "When I was a lad." type display.

I was just wondering if there was another group that covered models from America? As a kid, a lot of my models were Lindberg, Aurora, Pyro, Monogram, Renwall, Hawk, Revell, Life Like etc. I know that we are Classic British Kits, but just wondered if a spin off group existed. A lot of the models shown in the catalogues were American, so most of our collections featured as many of these as British made models.
So many models, so little time.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Chuck.
Great post and ideas. Your thoughts on a Classic American Kits group is one I had thought of too. A great idea. If you start one I for one will sign up ( provided I don't have to build the Lindberg Skyray again - I still have the nightmares LoL.) I do have a few in the stash to go at too from Aurora and Monogram as well as some Revell.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just a few crazy ideas to add to those already voiced...

1: "Then and now"
Models displayed in pairs. One, the oldest survivor still on your shelves, dusted off for the occasion (and almost certain to qualify as a CBK, unless you chucked out all models when they were declared "kids stuff"). Second, the exact same kit, freshly built. This would show off how both techniques and individuals have progressed, as well as showing what can be done with a CBK.

2: "Three stages"
Models displayed is sets of three.
The first, stricktly OOB, bare plastic with kit decals. Works best with multicolour Matchbox, of course, and is harder to pull off than it sounds. Any gaps and such would have to be filled with disolved sprues and such, in such a way that one can pretend they were never there in the first place. This is essentially how the manufacturer wants the kid just starting out the think the finished model will look. This is the only stage where an original edition is needed, as this shows off the original material; repops will do fine for the others.
Second, again strictly OOB, same decals as before, but painted up. This shows what the model is capable of becoming without further help, in the hands of a capable builder.
Third, same markings as before (though not necessarily from the kit decals), with every AM, scratch built, whatever improvement one can sensibly think of thrown at it. This shows what the kit can become in the hands of a modeler with a budget and rampant AMS, and arguably the best the kit can become.

Neither idea would place any restriction on subject matter, but availability of kits to work with might be an issue.

Just my barking mad toppence worth :-D
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Rob. I like the then and now idea. That would of course only work if we have enough old builds from our childhood bilds. Anyone else like this one?

All the best

Greg
Albert Einstein
chrism

Post by chrism »

Greg, if for one year you just allow some of the "now" builds to be the newer tooling kits of the same subject from the same manufacturer. ...

If I revisit a subject and have a newer better build of a classic then the earlier attempt gets scrapped or given away, whereas some topics that have had newer remoulds i have retained both.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Well. The time for a final decision is here. Reading through the posts I think an open table this yeas is the way to go. This is in it's self a theme due to the nature of this sig. Though one thing I agree with that has been said is we need fresh builds. I also suggest that we build them to modern standards to show what can be done with vintage plsstic. How say you all?

Best regards.

Greg.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm good with that. I interpret "modern standards" to mean technique. "Fresh builds" means not on the SMW table before ?

As I mentioned in discussion, we need some control of "open" to have a variety of CBK/subjects and ensure all members have a place on the table if they desire.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Can someone create a SMW2018 area please like last year so we can at least pretend we are enthusiastic about this year's display! Thanks.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'll sort something out shortly
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Thanks James. I would like to see a count of heads to gauge who is still enthusiastic about the CBK. I have yet to hear about the returns but spoke to Alfie a short while ago and he said things are delayed but I should hear something shortly.

All the best.

Greg.
Albert Einstein
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Gregers wrote:Thanks James. I would like to see a count of heads to gauge who is still enthusiastic about the CBK. I have yet to hear about the returns but spoke to Alfie a short while ago and he said things are delayed but I should hear something shortly.
Piff Paff Poof! It is done
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:
Gregers wrote:Thanks James. I would like to see a count of heads to gauge who is still enthusiastic about the CBK. I have yet to hear about the returns but spoke to Alfie a short while ago and he said things are delayed but I should hear something shortly.
Piff Paff Poof! It is done
So who did you put down as the poof then?!! :twisted:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “SMW 2018 - un-themed”