The Frog Forum

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

wannsee
starter kit

The Frog Forum

Post by wannsee »

Gentlemen,

May I take the liberty of inviting any interested members to visit the Frog Forum at http://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/phpBB3/; It is of course not my intention to poach anybody from this great board but just to let you know that Frog now has a home of its own. I will of course link to this board for those interested in Airfix

Please accept my apologies in advance if you feel this is not appropriate.

Martin
MerlinJones

Re: The Frog Forum

Post by MerlinJones »

wannsee wrote:I will of course link to this board for those interested in Airfix
Hi Martin and welcome.
Note that we are the home of the Classic British Kits SIG IPMS-UK and that we are far from being Airfix-focussed. (There's another Forum for that ;-) ).
You might want to consider signing up, as we have some good support from SAMI and are able to represent the cause of the CBK at shows, including Scale Model World in November.
wannsee wrote:Please accept my apologies in advance if you feel this is not appropriate.
This is appropriate, but may be better placed elsewhere on the Forum.
The Welcome part of the Forum is intended as a place for new members to introduce themselves, so please do.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hi Martin,

I had seen you were trying to get Frog forum off the ground and glad to see it is now up and running. As Bruce says this forum is also the home of the Classic British Kit SIG which of course encompasses Frog, along with Matchbox, Airfix and a number of other smaller manufacturers. You will be interested in our World of Frog display that we put on at Scale Model World in 2009.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com//viewforum.php?f=193;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I've just signed up to Martin's forum, and having just joined Paul's Revell-Ations forum recently I'm in CBK heaven at the moment!!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

btw from time to time wondered NOVO this CBK or not? (NOVO Toys Limited, Maxey, Nr. Peterborough, England PE6 9HQ)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

novokits wrote:btw from time to time wondered NOVO this CBK or not? (NOVO Toys Limited, Maxey, Nr. Peterborough, England PE6 9HQ)

I don't think we've actually discussed it before. The problem is NOVO never tooled any new kits AFAIK it just imported kits from Frog moulds. CBKs are roughly defined as kits moulded from before 1986 so it doesn't really matter where or when the kits were produced eg. Matchbox kits in modern Revell boxes. So it's the Frog moulds that are CBKs, which includes those produced by NOVO and any other Frog spawn. However I'm not sure if NOVO counts as CBK manufacturer as such. :???:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Although NOVO was British. ;-)
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

So, we decided. :mrgreen:
Interestingly, the NOVO start work when there functioned Frog, firsts delivery of NOVO model-kits in Britain began in 1977.
Founded in 1975, in 1980 NOVO ceased operations, although its elimination took place only in 1985...
And once: Twin Mustang, which was only NOVO, but never was FROG and produced from FROG Moulds - CBK? or 50/50? or FROG spawn? I'll not talk about Airacobra, Wellington (not was FROG not was NOVO), Ventura (but I found in www, FROG box for PV-1 and have FROG decal ...) many mysteries without answers ...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

novokits wrote:So, we decided. :mrgreen:
Interestingly, the NOVO start work when there functioned Frog, firsts delivery of NOVO model-kits in Britain began in 1977.
Founded in 1975, in 1980 NOVO ceased operations, although its elimination took place only in 1985...
And once: Twin Mustang, which was only NOVO, but never was FROG and produced from FROG Moulds - CBK? or 50/50? or FROG spawn? I'll not talk about Airacobra, Wellington (not was FROG not was NOVO), Ventura (but I found in www, FROG box for PV-1 and have FROG decal ...) many mysteries without answers ...
When the tools went to the USSR, NOVO was set up to sell the products in the UK and Europe.
Some tools, such as the Twin Mustang and others, had got as far as making kits. Unfortunately, they only reached this stage after the demise of FROG, so it was left to the Soviets to produce them and for NOVO to sell them over in the UK.
Likewise for the Ventura and others...these even got as far as having some FROG boxes made, in anticipation of the kits being made by FROG. Alas, it was not to be and it was left to the Soviets to decide which kits to produce and release.

Regards,
Bruce
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

Good to have a Frog forum, come and post a link over on Aussiemodeller as well, some real Frogheads down under. Cheers.

Return to “Classic British Chat”