Ballpark figure - how many kits on display at SMW 2011?

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Ballpark figure - how many kits on display at SMW 2011?

Post by beany »

I was just wondering what a rough figure might be for the amount of built models that were on display at SMW 2011 on any particular day, on the branch and SIG tables and including the competition area? Does anyone have even the vaguest idea?

My live-at-home daughter is always ragging on me about my model making so I'd like to be able to counter for once with something like "Oh look Alana, of the 50,000??? models available to chose from at Telford, that appears to be a photo of my Airfix SR-N4 Hovercraft diorama in Whatever Modeller/ing Magazine this month." :ha: :twisted:

Someone please help me bring the little madam down ;-)

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Ballpark figure - how many kits on display at SMW 2011?

Post by mattbacon »

Well, we know from our own experience that 120 models fills a display table. Allowing for big kit SIGs and little 'uns, let's average 100 per display. IPMS says 170 club displays, so that's 17,000. Allowing for the competition area and some traders having built models on show, I'd say that 20,000 models is a pretty reasonable ball-park figure...

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Or 19, 999 not as good as yours. :roll:

Regards,
Bruce
:mrgreen:
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Or you could just respond "Sorry, need your room for my model display - bye...."

I think that 15-20,000 would be a fair call but even at a tenth of that, being selected like that is a real achievement...from the comments I heard on the Saturday and my own observations, the UAMF display was probably the most innovative and popular display at Telford last year...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Classic British Chat”