Shropshire (Cosford) Cosford Model Show

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shropshire (Cosford) Cosford Model Show

Post by SJPONeill »

Classic Box Art looks as good there at Cosford as it did at Telford...with CBA2 planned for this year, and possibly remaining a theme for builds post-SMW12, I'm wondering if we might not think about capturing them all as hi-res images with the thought of, in a couple of years, producing another book like the Maurice Landi one? IMHO, this work is simply too good not to record for posterity.
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Memo to self...cultivate fungal gwowff and eat (even) more pies.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Just got in - excellent day which absolutely shot by, in spite of the 5.30am alarm call. Carrie accompanied me as usual but can be quite testy if she doesn't get her morning coffeee so as we were going to arrive at Cosford early we stayed on the M54 to the next junction and went for breakfast at Telford service (which upset the SatNav no end!). Tom had also arrived at Cosford early having travelled more than twice the distance we had to. We drove past him, while arriving at Hangar 2 to unload, apparently trying to consume a bacon roll in one go whilst walking from the look of it :ha:.

Usual superb response to the display, and everyone happy to hear there will be a 2nd CBBA for the Nationals this year. There was quite a bit of room at the end of the table so Tom and I set up our own little shop and both managed to flog a good amount of gear - including several bits to each other :roll:, so that helped with our purchases to be made from the traders. We were chomping at the bit by the time James arrived by train at 11ish to relieve us at the table as the money was burning holes in our pockets by then.

I got a 1/72 Heller Saab Viggen, an 1/72 Academy P40 and 1/72 Kinetic F16i SUFA both from Tom, a 1/24 Revell MacLaren Mercedes (-Lewis Hamilton as they were out of Jenson Buttons') and one of the gorgeous new 1/48 Airfix Lynxes (the Army one coz it's a couple of quid cheaper than either of the two Navy boxings), and a set of Micromesh cloths, fluid and sanding pads from Little Cars.

Thanks also to Greg and his mate (sorry - didn't catch his name) for helping man the table.

I'm off for a cuppa now - will post the few pics I took later.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Boldman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Boldman »

Just got back as well, great day out. We travelled up yesterday and stayed at the Premier Inn just down the road so were able to get there at a good time. I'm pleased to say that somehow IPMS Farnborough won the best display award! I reckon it was my Starfury that clinched the deal :)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm still on the train after hanging about a bit to take some more photos. A lovely day and great venue, plenty of space behind us so you didn't have that usual penned in feeling. It's been a long time since I've visited Cosford (IIRC I was 16) though the new Cold War hanger is astounding Hangers 1 to 3 are much more light and airy than I remember and so probably have replaced all the 35mm pics I took back then - it'll save me from scanning them!. Even though we were stuck at the end of a cul-de-sac we had plenty of visitors throughout the day and was gone 4 when we started to pack up. A big thankyou to Al and Tom for getting everything set up without necessarily knowing how some the displays went together.

I just picked up a Hase Jaguar GR1 from a gent on BM who on realising that the pilot was missing had thrown the Pavla cockpit in there along with the P&P Aeroparts PE airbrakes. Even Tom did well out of it as there were some French Jag decals in there that I didn't want which he'd been trying to get for a while. Got a handful of cheap Aeroclub bits etc from Collectakit and the Lifecolor Flesh paint set too.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Sounds as if all had a good day - thanks for being there, guys!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany

Post by beany »

Didn't take too many photos but here are the ones I did - the table first:

Seen from our table, The Fairey FD2, Saunders Roe SR 53 in background with Jaguar ACT Demonstrator. We had the Gloster Meteor F.8 Prone position behind us with the TSR.2 behind that (see photo above).

and a tiny taster for the hardware on display (Cold War Hangar)...

Vulcan

EE Lightning

Cheers
Al.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Just to add my tuppence worth to the show reports, a cracking day with a superb setting and a seemingly never-ending stream of people stopping at the display :grin:

My rather long list of purchases included:

1/72 Matchbox Stranraer, 1/72 Academy B-50 Superfortress and 1/72 FROG Vampire FB.5 courtesy of Al
1/72 Heller Noratlas,
1/72 Italeri Heinkel He-111 Zwilling,
1/72 Italeri Me-323 D-1 Gigant ( its mahoosive!! :shock: ),
1/72 Skybirds 86 DH Hornet for a bargain price :-D ,
1/72 Special Hobby Bristol Beaufort,
1/72 Airfix Strikemaster with Omani decals,
1/600 Airfix HMS Cossack for my Telford box art build

Also some micromesh from little cars, Jaguar decals courtesy of James and various Aeroclub and Maintrack white metal goodies.

One thing is certain though, will people please warn me when they are taking photo's :shock: :ha:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks for doing that guys !! And good report !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany

Post by beany »

Brews wrote:The 1:220 Hunter looks to have lost its port wing, btw.
Yeah, sorry mate - it fell clean off when getting it out of the box and I didn't have any glue with me. I'll re-attach it tonight.

Forgot to thank Matt (MDT) for bringing the excellent Sea King over to my place on Saturday. It certainly got a very good share of the comment being received from the punters.

Cheers
Al.
Karaya
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Karaya »

Those displays are brilliant, especially the hovercraft. What a clever idea! Keep it up!
.....Sven W.

Return to “Classic British Chat”