Box Art - unsung Airfix hero

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Box Art - unsung Airfix hero

Post by mattbacon »

I fell into conversation with a very nice chap behind a table at Huddersfield while buying his book about Dino sports cars, who asked me "what's with the Classic Box Art t-shirt, then?", and then reminisced about meeting Roy Cross and telling him that it was his Airfix box tops that had got this bloke started on illustration. Anyway, it turns out that his name was Paul Monteagle, and he'd done a number of paintings for Airfix, mostly the "Vintage Aircraft" and "Historic Cars" boxings.

This teeny tiny example is the only one I can find online:

He also did most of the Blue Max/Silver Cloud boxes for Chris Gannon, and a lot of covers for Windsock Datafiles with Ray Rimmell.

You can see his box artwork here:

http://paulmonteagle.zxq.net/plastic_kit_box_art.html;

and navigate around the site (click on "illustrations" to find the Windsock covers) to see the rest of his work.

There are several of his illustrations in the Airfix books, but he's not credited (I think a lot of people think the Airfix boxes he did are just adaptations of an existing Roy Cross picture)

Anyway, I just thought that while we were all getting interested in Box Art that we shouldn't forget an artist who did some very nice painted box art in an era when Airfix had lost their way somewhat...

bestest,
M.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Re: Box Art - unsung Airfix hero

Post by bobblelink »

He did some very nice stuff, it is right that he should be better known
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

I am wondering what people do with their empty boxes once the kit has been built, do you throw them away, keep them, cut the pictured out, what ?. it may be a strange thing to think about but its bothering me.
Rich.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I chuck out most of my boxes but when I find a favourite classic boxtop image it is saved to be mounted & framed.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Thats a great idea and it looks really good.
Rich.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

nashorn wrote:I am wondering what people do with their empty boxes once the kit has been built, do you throw them away, keep them, cut the pictured out, what ?. it may be a strange thing to think about but its bothering me.
I'm afraid I just chuck them Nashorn, even the classic ones. David's framing of his classic box art does look good however.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have a lot of that artwork in the form of Blue Max kits and Windsocks ... saw a couple Windsocks I need to get also ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Classic British Chat”