One more outing for CBBA #1 - Farnborough Modelfest Sept 22

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

One more outing for CBBA #1 - Farnborough Modelfest Sept 22

Post by beany »

Hi guys,

totally carried away by the reception we got once again at Cosford I craved that fix one more time so emailed Tony Andrews of IPMS Farnborough- co-ordinator of Modelfest in September - a show I usually attend because my Mum lives down there (free overnight accomodation) and I originally hail from that neck of the woods. Here is his response.

Alan

Yes - we would be delighted to host the "finale" of the display! I confirm that you are booked on for 12 feet (2 tables) of display space.

Personally that display was one of my highlights from Telford last year because, like many people, I built most of the models when they were first released (although nothing like as well!).

We look forward to welcoming you in September

Regards

Tony Andrews

Cosford taught me that a) I can fit the whole display and associated gubbins in my car and b) at a push I can assemble the models - but will definitely practice before the show.
Obviously I will appreciate any help if anyone else can attend this very well supported show.
I'll post venue details in the Shows section later.

Cheers
Al
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: One more outing for CBBA #1 - Farnborough Modelfest Sept

Post by JamesPerrin »

That's brilliant Al! We'd always thought it a bit of a logistical nightmare doing shows other than Hudds or Telford but I'm so glad you've been willing to take on looking after the display. Not everyone has the time, space, a big enough car or a central location to be able to do this. I therefore appoint you the official CBK SIG Showman :grin: It's really great to do a show down south too.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Boldman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Boldman »

Look forward to seeing you again at the Farnborough show!
beany

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:We'd always thought it a bit of a logistical nightmare doing shows other than Hudds or Telford but I'm so glad you've been willing to take on looking after the display. Not everyone has the time, space, a big enough car or a central location to be able to do this.
I must admit that having got the car through its MOT 2 days before Cosford was a big weight off my mind - she's 12 years old now and over 100,000 miles on the clock so every extra year is a bonus.
JamesPerrin wrote:I therefore appoint you the official CBK SIG Showman :grin:
I graciously accept - and will continue to do so next year for CBBA #2 - assuming I can get the bloody Stuka diorama to fit in even my car!
JamesPerrin wrote: It's really great to do a show down south too.
Paul (peebeep) convinced me that rather than visitors becoming jadded too quickly - i.e. not that flaming Box art display again :roll: - that they actually welcome repeat views, as Nick has found with the Wallace and Gromit stuff. This was backed up by several punters telling Tom and myself that they'd already seen the display "at the Nationals" and were very pleased to see it again, and what a fantastic concept it was etc. So I'm hoping alot of my fellow Southerners will be seeing the display for the first time, not having made it to Telford or Cosford, let alone Huddersfield.
And to be honest, if the Scottish Nats were later in the year rather than just a few weeks away, I'd have made a long weekend of it up in Perth with Carrie as well.

Cheers
Al.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

beany wrote:Paul (peebeep) convinced me that rather than visitors becoming jadded too quickly - i.e. not that flaming Box art display again :roll: - that they actually welcome repeat views, as Nick has found with the Wallace and Gromit stuff. This was backed up by several punters telling Tom and myself that they'd already seen the display "at the Nationals" and were very pleased to see it again, and what a fantastic concept it was etc.
The repeat views I think only work because we have such a strong and dynamic theme. That's one of our strengths, and especially of this display, even if we flogged it to death on the circuit, there'd be something new the next time we come around.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

That's great, Al! I hope one of our southern bods will volunteer to help you out.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's great, thank you very much Al !!

I have to agree, the boxart display is something that one can look at again & again without getting stale because it works on a couple levels -- the kit boxes & memories thereof, the models & memories thereof, and finally, the quality of our own work. Reminding myself to get back to work on this year's ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:That's great, Al! I hope one of our southern bods will volunteer to help you out.
'Yes SAH, ready to volunteer SAH' :ha: count me in Al, farnborough is much closer than all of the others this year and I've managed to make it to each.
beany wrote:I must admit that having got the car through its MOT 2 days before Cosford was a big weight off my mind - she's 12 years old now and over 100,000 miles on the clock so every extra year is a bonus.
Pah, this will be my old girls 19th year, your young whippersnappers got a long way to catch up with her, mind you yours is better looking :ha:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:
Pah, this will be my old girls 19th year, your young whippersnappers got a long way to catch up with her, mind you yours is better looking :ha:
Then lets make a Pinky Promise that if either of our Mondeos bites the big one, we'll donate any of the good bits to keep the other one going :shock:

Thanks for the offer of help mate - greatly appreciated.

Al.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Still got my '95 Accord - only 96K on it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany

Post by beany »

Brews wrote:Just wondering, then ... if the display is going to be at Farnborough in Sept, is Airfix going to take it on after that or what?
No mate, after Telford in November - Darrell Burge said they would take the 2011 display models back to Margate with them in their van (I assume they will be returning Nick's Wallace and Grommit stuff that they've had at the exhibition this year at the same time). I'll e-mail Darrell nearer the time to see exactly which of the display items he is interested in - not the Matchbox ones presumably - but I think it was pretty much all of the Airfix items - I'll let you all know when I do.

Cheers
Al.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

beany wrote: .... not the Matchbox ones presumably ....
Cheers
Al.
Awwwwwwwww .... :sad:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany

Post by beany »

jRatz wrote:
beany wrote: .... not the Matchbox ones presumably ....
Cheers
Al.
Awwwwwwwww .... :sad:
Not to worry mate - Darrell may like this years Classic British Box Art #2 display as well and want the Airfix items for the Hornby Exhibition in in 2014, so your Riflemen will be a shoe-in won't they?! :lol:

cheers
Al.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Al,

If you'd like some company on the stand, I live about an hour South (although Modelfest used to be my local show) and could probably persuade 'er indoors to drop me off when going North to visit her family. Let me know and I'll raise it with her.

regards,

Martin
beany

Post by beany »

Yeah, that would be great Martin - hope to see you there mate.

Cheers
Al.

Return to “Classic British Chat”