Oh, look - We're Mainstream...!

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Oh, look - We're Mainstream...!

Post by jssel »

Do not, repeat, do not leave British out of CBK. Even in the States, I cut my modeling teeth on Airfix, Matchbox and Frog. Oh yes, Revell, Monogram Aurora were players but not like good old CBK's
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

If we started to include other brands, and modern kits, others at other SIGs would start complaining that we are modelling outside of our area......

We are the ORIGINAL Classic kits SIG, the ORIGINAL Airfix modelling SIG and I see no reason to change that because a few don't seem to like/recognise/embrace our ideals. The fact that other people want to copy us is a compliment and we have every reason to be proud of what we've achieved.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I think we should stay with the CBK -- "Go home with the one that brung ya".
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

As kids we did choose Airfix in preference to other brands when available.

Regards,
Bruce
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Just to clarify, I meant drop "British" in terms of SOME of the items we might build and displayed as a one-off for the two days of the Telford IPMS Anniversary weekend ONLY, not from the SIG name or any other such nonsense. For example, oh I don't know, say comparing Airfix builds with contemporaries of the time like Aurora or Monogram or, god forbid, even Revell, all from the early 60's period. So in other words I was suggesting what just about everyone else has suggested here since my original post. :roll:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

OK fair point Al. But too clarify are you talking about what we put on our table at the 50th or what we contribute to the big IPMS(UK) display?

For the big display I don't think there is any reason we need to be tightly bound the SIGs remit however we should be careful not to step on anyone's toes. And after all people would expect us to provide some CBKs.

As for ourselves, there has to be a good reason for putting non CBKs on our table, the Bomber Command SIG wouldn't just add some US and Russian bombers 'cos they felt like it. It needs to be strongly themed and justifiable. It looks as though I've just had the same thought that Brews posted above that one idea could be comparison builds UK vs US. How much overlap of subjects outside of WWII and US jets and we may end up comparing different scales.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Why limit it to US?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:Why limit it to US?
None, it's just an example.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

MerlinJones wrote:
The IPMS-UK is well aware of the SIG. Unfortunately, I believe that there are some personalities who are not keen and who tend to favour their own SIG and/or Forum. C'est la vie....moving on...

i know this is slightly off topic but id just like to pass a comment, as a non-IPMS member

many many many times over the last few years ive thought about joining but then i see a comment on a forum somewhere and it puts me off

the impression i get at times is that its an organisation with an elitist tendancies that look down on non-members (once saw us called 'the proles' and 'the great unwashed' by a member on another forum :roll: or a bunch of in-fighting back stabbers only interested in their own little bit of the kingdom with little interest in what everyone else does, unless its just to put them down in some way to an Organisation with very little actual organisation! (23 people for an agm of something the size of IPMS-UK is kinda poor imho)

my twopennuth and sorry if it ruffles any feathers
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Of course there is some truth in parts of what you say - but then ANY organisation has it's cliques, rivalries and petty jealousies. I have found that, for the most part, IPMS members are just ordinary members of wider society with all the good and bad points that come with it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Let me chime in from a perspective "over here". We in IPMS/USA get the same thing. Not that any organization is free of problems, but many times the problems are manufactured by disgruntled ex-members or non-members who have heard from someone else but in fact have no direct experience or knowledge. One of the common threads is IPMS/USA "contests" where it is highly obvious the poster has never read the convention/contest rules, or the Competition Handbook, or the IPMS/USA Con & ByLaws and has no clue what they are talking about but like to hear their own keys clatter. This keeps up unless actual members take the time to correct whatever false impression has been made.

At the chapter/club level there is a great danger of a couple JMN's ruining the whole thing, but at the "organization as a whole" level, they have little influence.

I will bet you that the clear majority of people making anti-IPMS comments are not now, and most likely have never been, members and are just winging it -- makes 'em feel like big guys, heroes in their own mind ...

I would urge anyone to give it a try, both nationally and at the club level, and form your own opinion after a suitable amount of time.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
thomasweir
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by thomasweir »

Brews wrote: That doesn't stop the AMSIG from presenting the classics amongst their newer kits (although with all the new tools coming out, they will have increasingly less room to do so - or greater opportunity to request more space).
Its more to do with the expansion of members displaying their builds with us and allocating space for their presentation. Having said that for 2013 we have requested 168 Sq ft at Hendon and 96sq ft at Cosford. Still may leave us short of display space though ;-)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

That can't be true. Some SIG's have huge memberships and others not so. It was my understanding that all Branches and SIG's were to be treated equal, regarding allotment sizes...provided that they got their returns returned in time.
That said, the reality is that some SIG's and Branches have their requests granted, whilst others do not.
I requested extra space for the CBK SIG, for our 1977 display and was turned down. Reason given was that we were too new.
This has not been a consistently applied reason...so c'est la vie, as usual.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

The issue of poor turn-out at AGMs is nothing new these days especially with national organisations where it is simply not feasible not cost-effective for people to travel to a physical venue + AGMs are, quite frankly, boring and tend to be avoided because to can't even talking modelling just twaddle about points of order and finance reports and other naff stuff...Organisations like IPMS probably need to start looking as to how it can achieve (legally) an AGM using online tools to get the quorum and necessary buy-in and feedback on contemporary issues...

I think that everyone that contributed to the 2011 Classic Boxart display is a minor deity; it was one of the most innovative and attention-grabbing displays I have ever seen at a modelling show or other modelling display. I agree with MJ though that CBK needs to stick to its roots otherwise ithe becomes all things for all people. I, for one, intend having a crack and some boxart dioramas and not all of them are based on classic Brit kits - I would not dream of trying to muscle those non-CBKs into a CBK display although I would most definitely and most loudly accredit the idea to the CBK Sig where I first saw it...by non-CBK, I am thinking of some of the Dragon boxart in particular the P-61s and some of the classic US kits like the Atomic Cannon with the mushroom cloud in the background...

I think that it would be silly NOT to do Classic Boxart Deux for Telford this year but after that I think that the novelty may start to wear of and it will become just any diorama theme - but one that we all know where it started...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Classic British Chat”